Topics

KPA 1500 Minimum Ambient Room Temperature

wb6bee

To get rid of fan noise and heat in the shack during the summer, I relocated my KPA 1500 into area of the house that is not heated during the winter.   I operate it remote control.   Now, when I start it in the morning, it is 12-13C.

I don't know how cold it will get in that room overnight in the winter.

Is there a minimum room temperature for locating the KPA 1500?

Don
WB6BEE

Gene K5GS

Thanks to Elecraft's generosity, we had a KPA-1500 on the recently completed VP8PJ South Orkney DXpedition. The temperature in the operating tent was usually in the low to mid 30s(f)  (0c to +3c) all the time.

Even after 13+ days of DXpedition operation the RF deck and power supply remained surprisingly cool to the touch. During my shifts using the 1500 I don't recall it kicking into a higher fan speed. Possible I didn't hear it because of the generator noise and headset. We typically ran 800 - 1,200 watts out, the amp ran flawlessly.  The usual DXpedition "accidents" didn't bother the 1500.

Rick NK7I

Gene,

(Small rabbit trail)

And a GREAT showing that trip made!  Thanks for the many contacts (21 confirmed), the treats were on 160M (500 watts, inverted L) and the shocker was on 60M (100 watts into a rotating dipole, WOW!), so shocking I tried it again successfully a couple nights later.

Elecraft to Elecraft, it was almost easy; you clearly heard VERY VERY well there.

Thank you!  WELL done!

Later this week, I'll finish moving pieces into the new shack and KPA1500 s/n 012X will finally be heard on the air (two years after arrival).  Then I can pay attention to fan noise and temps and join in those conversations with my data.

73,
Rick NK7I
North Idaho

On 5/11/2020 6:22 AM, Gene K5GS wrote:
Thanks to Elecraft's generosity, we had a KPA-1500 on the recently completed VP8PJ South Orkney DXpedition. The temperature in the operating tent was usually in the low to mid 30s(f)  (0c to +3c) all the time.

Even after 13+ days of DXpedition operation the RF deck and power supply remained surprisingly cool to the touch. During my shifts using the 1500 I don't recall it kicking into a higher fan speed. Possible I didn't hear it because of the generator noise and headset. We typically ran 800 - 1,200 watts out, the amp ran flawlessly.  The usual DXpedition "accidents" didn't bother the 1500.

wb6bee

I suspect my temps in the area where the amp is located may dip into low teens come winter time.   I guess I will just monitor it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input from VP8PJ and good work there, Gene

Don
WB6BEE
Pagosa Springs, CO (Shack at 7500 feet above sea level)