Topics

KPA 1500 behavior after short power outage

Nigel Lemaire <wa6mse@...>

I mostly (99% of the time) keep the amp in standby mode so that I can use the internal ATU with my K3s.
Whenever I have a "power glitch" (by that I mean a 2-3 second power outage before power restored) the amp will turn on ALL the fans on high and show Fault.  I confess I didn't check the fault code :/ .  The only way to "reset" the amp is to power it off via the power supply using the front switch.  Turning off the K3s doesn't shut down the amp.
I have a dedicated 220 v line with a whole house surge protector so I don't think there might be a power spike (over voltage).
I had this problem before, and the only remedy at that time was to unplug the amp.  I did return the amp to Elecraft and they did some repairs...

But now I'm wondering if any other person is experiencing this issue.

I DID just send an email to tech support asking for advice.

73
Nigel
Wa6MSE

Mike Cox

Nigel,

Mine has behaved similarly; when power restores after a brief A/C dropout, mine sometimes has come back on with the display saying "FIRMWARE LOAD" but the fans are OFF. Cycling the power supply's breaker returns the same display but with the fans running full speed. The only way I have found to restore operation is to actually reload the firmware; all works fine after that. My fault log also recorded a "+10 Volt Fault" when the power glitches occurred. When this occurred before Firmware 2.27, the amp would usually have the display of "FIRMWARE LOAD" but with the fans also initially running full speed.

More often, however, this "FIRMWARE LOAD" issue occurs via a normal power-on sequence. This remains regardless of cycling the power supply breaker and still requires a firmware reload to get running again.

When this occurs with a normal power-on operation, it doesn't matter whether the power OFF/ON is via the front panel ON button, the +12V sense or via the KPA1500 Remote program communication via Ethernet. Previous to Firmware 2.27, it was happening once or twice per week. Since F/W 2.27 in late July, I've only had the fault happen four times. I've had communication with Elecraft support regarding this issue but nothing has yet been resolved. Mine had been back to the factory twice for PA and T/R switch issues (now running great!) but the firmware reloading wasn't an issue at that time EXCEPT that when I first got the brand new KPA and powered it up, it came up wanting the firmware loaded with fans running on high. At that time, I figured it was just a way for Elecraft to insure that the latest firmware was installed so I never mentioned it to Support. The turn-on problem started developing sometime after the amp was returned from the second repair. Since F/W 2.27, the frequency of occurrence has gotten MUCH less.

My last email to support@... was on the 15th of this month and I haven't had a reply yet. I know they've been busy and, as this doesn't put me off the air, it's probably not a high priority.

It's a bit disconcerting but it's not keeping me from really enjoying this amp.

Mike, AB9V