Topics

KIO3B and USB isolator

Everett N4CY

I just received my repaired KIO3B back from Elecraft and I will be installing it this morning. So my question is would it be a good idea to install a USB isolator between my K3S and my computer to offer more protection for the KIO3B?

Everett N4CY

bill steffey NY9H

certainly can not hurt !!!!

the K4 specs include a section on disconnecting the radio when not in use to avoid garbage damaging the radio. ..

stay well\

bill

On 11/26/2020 8:07 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io wrote:
I just received my repaired KIO3B back from Elecraft and I will be installing it this morning. So my question is would it be a good idea to install a USB isolator between my K3S and my computer to offer more protection for the KIO3B?

Everett N4CY

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

No., But I would (and do) use a decent usb cable with ferrite beads at each end.

-Bob

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020, 6:07 AM Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I just received my repaired KIO3B back from Elecraft and I will be installing it this morning. So my question is would it be a good idea to install a USB isolator between my K3S and my computer to offer more protection for the KIO3B?

Everett N4CY

Bill Mader

A most common failure is leaving the radio connected to the PC while the latter is connect to AC power, DSL, or a cable MODEM.  Long wires/cables of any sort are subject to induced current which can cause large Voltages.  I suggest going through the shack and considering if and how all gear is vulnerable.

I disconnect all ingress connections, RF or power, during storms.  Disconnected the phone line from the DSL MODEM is of no value if the wall wart is still plugged into AC power.

ID ALL ingress points.  You can list your own.  Make disconnecting as easy as possible by removing one cable that supplies many devices.  Ask the question, "What's connected to my gear?"  The TiVo remains powered up, but the HDMI cable to the HDMI switch gets disconnected along with the shack TV (Geochron and yesterday's news without commercials) AC cord.

If lightning gets within 20 miles, I start disconnecting which can take a few minutes.  Everything is marked that must be disconnected (cables and their jacks/sockets).  My wife can do it if I'm foolish and leave without checking the weather.  That includes blowing snow, rain, and dirt past antennas!

Yes, I know about lightning protection devices.  I've also made a lot of money repairing commercial broadcast equipment which was far better protected than 99% of Amateur Radio stations.

73, Bill, K8TE