Topics

KIO3 Main Board Board Wanted

John Spigel

My K3 took a nearby lightning hit resulting in loss of communications and an intermittent TX via RTS.  I narrowed this down to the main KIO3 RevC  board and probable faulty U1. Anybody have an uneeded board from their upgrade for me to try before I ship the radio?

Thanks!

John W1AN

Ed Pflueger

I've got one.

Ed.. AB4IQ

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Spigel
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 9:26 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] KIO3 Main Board Board Wanted

My K3 took a nearby lightning hit resulting in loss of communications and an intermittent TX via RTS. I narrowed this down to the main KIO3 RevC board and probable faulty U1. Anybody have an uneeded board from their upgrade for me to try before I ship the radio?

Thanks!

John W1AN

Ed Pflueger

Mine says it's a REV A but in 2016 had the Output Buffer Gain Mod R8 13K done at the factory.

Ed.. AB4IQ

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Spigel

My K3 took a nearby lightning hit resulting in loss of communications and an intermittent TX via RTS. I narrowed this down to the main KIO3 RevC board and probable faulty U1. Anybody have an uneeded board from their upgrade for me to try before I ship the radio?

Thanks!

John W1AN

John Spigel

Ed, would you contact me direct: w1an (at) dxusa.net. Perhaps beg, borrow or buy from you. Do you know if that is the only change to get to rev C?

John W1AN

On 9/14/2018 20:51, Ed Pflueger wrote:
Mine says it's a REV A but in 2016 had the Output Buffer Gain Mod R8 13K done at the factory.

Ed.. AB4IQ

Thanks!

John W1AN

Jorge Mejia

John I had the same situation with mine. Elecraft suggested to replace U1 which did not do any good. They then said , send the board in for repair which I did. Costly from HK land plus  $ 100 for labor .When I replaced the board It seemed to have a good conection with the PC . As soon as I began updating the FW It failed right away. Elecraft did not provide any solution or even offered to re do the job. 

I lost faith on them even though I have two K3s...

If you are lucky someone here will offer a used board from an upgraded K3

good luck

Jorge HK4CZE

Ed Pflueger

Jorge I sent John the boards this morning and he should receive them Tuesday.

Ed.. AB4IQ

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jorge Mejia
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:13 PM

John I had the same situation with mine. Elecraft suggested to replace U1 which did not do any good. They then said , send the board in for repair which I did. Costly from HK land plus  $ 100 for labor .When I replaced the board It seemed to have a good conection with the PC . As soon as I began updating the FW It failed right away. Elecraft did not provide any solution or even offered to re do the job. 

good luck

Jorge HK4CZE

John Spigel

Thanks for the reply, Jorge. Hopefully the only thing wrong is on the board with U1. Otherwise I find it best to send whole rig back to elecraft. They don't provide board layouts which makes troubleshooting time consuming and frustrating. Thanks to Ed AB4IQ I may soon have a board to try.

73, John W1AN

On 9/15/2018 22:13, Jorge Mejia wrote:

good luck

Jorge HK4CZE

Jorge Mejia

Hello John and Ed
Glad you got the board from Ed. I got one from DJ0RD/WU5T Bob in Germany, I have not installed it yet. Previously I had gotten another one from a member of the Elecraft reflector, but it never worked, it was damaged. I hope to you solve the problem with the spare board.

Jorge hk4cze

Ed Pflueger

Well we will soon find out. John should get the boards in the mail tomorrow
unless the Hurricane on the East coast delays the shipment.

Ed...

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jorge Mejia
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 1:41 PM

Hello John and Ed
Glad you got the board from Ed. I got one from DJ0RD/WU5T Bob in Germany, I
have not installed it yet. Previously I had gotten another one from a member
of the Elecraft reflector, but it never worked, it was damaged. I hope to
you solve the problem with the spare board.

Jorge hk4cze

Ed Pflueger

By the way John we worked RTTY on 9/28/2008 @ 01:18 7.063 mhz.

Ed..

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed Pflueger
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 3:51 PM

Ed.. AB4IQ

Thanks!

John W1AN

Chuck Miller

Did it work John? I've the same problem with a k3 I acquired from a SK's estate, going to try and change U1, but may be looking for KIO3 boards.

73, Chuck
N0NC

Mel Marcus

I factory upgraded to KIO3B so I do have the boards that were removed and replaced. What is a reasonable price for them.

Mel
NE9A

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, August 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Did it work John? I've the same problem with a k3 I acquired from a SK's estate, going to try and change U1, but may be looking for KIO3 boards.

73, Chuck
N0NC

Ed Pflueger

I gave mine away to a guy that needed them.

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mel Marcus
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:13 PM

I factory upgraded to KIO3B so I do have the boards that were removed and replaced. What is a reasonable price for them.

Mel

NE9A

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, August 20, 2019 2:02 pm

73, Chuck
N0NC

GRANT YOUNGMAN <ghyoungman@...>

The only rational thing to do if your KIO3 dies is to upgrade to the “B” boards. It isn’t exactly rocket science to put them in. And they make life better …

Grant NQ5T
KX3 (8342)/KXPA100

On Aug 21, 2019, at 4:50 PM, Ed Pflueger <ab4iq@...> wrote:

I gave mine away to a guy that needed them.

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mel Marcus
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:13 PM

Mel
NE9A

Chuck Miller

I'm not exactly sure I want to put another $399 into a radio that was struck by lightning. Was hoping to do it a little cheaper until I'm sure there are no further problemsfrom the strike.
73, Chuck
N0NC

Ray Maxfield

Chuck…..wont your home owners Insurance cover it ?

ray wa6vab

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:26 AM

I'm not exactly sure I want to put another $399 into a radio that was struck by lightning. Was hoping to do it a little cheaper until I'm sure there are no further problemsfrom the strike.
73, Chuck
N0NC

Chuck Miller

Ray; Thanks for the Idea, but the radio belonged to one of our club members who passed away suddenly. We ( the members of our local ham club) assisted the next of kin in securing his equipment and other valuables. The SK lived in a not so secure neighborhood you see. So since I acquired the radio from the estate, my home owqners wouldn't apply. I didn't know about the lightning damage when I got it, but am going to try working my way through the problems. The radio receives ,and seems to transmit, but at this point I'm not totally sure if the damage was contained to the serial interface, or goes much deeper.

73, Chuck
N0NC

Ray Maxfield

Chuck……… O that is to bad. 

ray

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:12 PM

Ray; Thanks for the Idea, but the radio belonged to one of our club members who passed away suddenly. We ( the members of our local ham club) assisted the next of kin in securing his equipment and other valuables. The SK lived in a not so secure neighborhood you see. So since I acquired the radio from the estate, my home owqners wouldn't apply. I didn't know about the lightning damage when I got it, but am going to try working my way through the problems. The radio receives ,and seems to transmit, but at this point I'm not totally sure if the damage was contained to the serial interface, or goes much deeper.

73, Chuck
N0NC

Rick Tavan

FWIW, Chuck, I suffered an indirect lightening strike about a year ago (probably traveled 400' along a TV cable to the house) that took out my KIO3. After replacement of the KIO3 with a used/available board, the rig has worked flawlessly since.

/Rick N6XI

--
--

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Chuck Miller

Thanls Rick, That's what I'm hoping/

Chuck, N0NC