Topics

KAT Utility Program.

Mike Streeter

I am wanting to configure my KAT500 antenna tuner to switch antennas when I change bands. (I have never needed to do that previously). As instructed in the KAT manual I have downloaded the KAT500 Utility Program Version  from the Elecraft site, Version 1.19.8.5, and I have connected the PC (Win 10) USB port to the PC Data port of the KAT500 using the KXUSB cable supplied with the KAT500.
When I click the Port "Test Communications" tab on the utility program I am getting the message "Contact failed xe200004e Unexpected device (not a KAT500)"   Yes, I am connected to the tuner and yes it is a KAT500!

Any advice please?
Many thanks,

Mike, WM5DX.

Bill Mader

GM Mike,

You don't mention what transceiver you're using.  Properly connected and configured, the KAT500 will follow the K3 or K3S (and some other transceivers) frequencies plus return to the last antenna port used on that band.

Your connection problem is a Windows problem.  You need to select the correct port through which you can connect to the KAT500.

Most likely, you are using a USB to RS-232 converter/cable.  Do you see a port appear and disappear when you insert and remove the cable?

73, Bill Mader, K8TE
W6H NM Coordinator, Route 66 On-the-Air 7-15 Sep 2019
ARRL New Mexico Section Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
Duke City Hamfest BoD www.dukecityhamfest.org 20-22 Sep 2019
President, Albuquerque DX Association

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I would first check to see the connection from the supplied KXUSB is correctly and solidly plugged into the KAT500 in the correct location.  Secondly, be sure the KAT500 is powered up at of after the K3S is powered up.  I use the AUX 12V from my K3S to power the KAT500 to assure the power up sequence is correct.     If you are using a USB hub or router, I suggest connecting the KXUSB direct to the computer USB port.   Windows 10 should recognize the correct port automatically.  Use the Test Communications feature in the Utility program to confirm it is correctly running.

From there it is straight forward to use the Utility Program to attain your antenna and switching requirements.   Of course you can do this manually from the KAT500 by selecting AUTO, then the antenna of your preference, and then apply a bit of RF to allow the tuner to resolve a match and save same.   The move to the next frequency, band and antenna and do the same.

In my case, I trained the KAT500 every 25 kHz for 160M and 80M, every 50 kHz for 60M, 40M,and 30M and 100 kHz for the other bands. Once this is done, switch to MAN mode and the communication from the K3S to the KAT500 will change as previously directed and stored.

On 8/13/2019 10:23 AM, Mike Streeter via Groups.Io wrote:
I am wanting to configure my KAT500 antenna tuner to switch antennas when I change bands. (I have never needed to do that previously). As instructed in the KAT manual I have downloaded the KAT500 Utility Program Version  from the Elecraft site, Version 1.19.8.5, and I have connected the PC (Win 10) USB port to the PC Data port of the KAT500 using the KXUSB cable supplied with the KAT500.
When I click the Port "Test Communications" tab on the utility program I am getting the message "Contact failed xe200004e Unexpected device (not a KAT500)"   Yes, I am connected to the tuner and yes it is a KAT500!

Any advice please?
Many thanks,

Mike, WM5DX.
_._

Stan Sychev <k6wg@...>

Hi Mike,

You need this cable to let your KAT-500 talk with PC:

https://elecraft.com/products/kxusba-extra-cable-usb-rs232-to-3-5mm-cable

73! Stan, K6WG

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 7:43:47 PM PDT, Mike Streeter via Groups.Io <wm5dx@...> wrote:

I am wanting to configure my KAT500 antenna tuner to switch antennas when I change bands. (I have never needed to do that previously). As instructed in the KAT manual I have downloaded the KAT500 Utility Program Version  from the Elecraft site, Version 1.19.8.5, and I have connected the PC (Win 10) USB port to the PC Data port of the KAT500 using the KXUSB cable supplied with the KAT500.
When I click the Port "Test Communications" tab on the utility program I am getting the message "Contact failed xe200004e Unexpected device (not a KAT500)"   Yes, I am connected to the tuner and yes it is a KAT500!

Any advice please?
Many thanks,

Mike, WM5DX.

Lyn Norstad

Mike –

It sounds like you need to reset the serial port on the computer.  Make sure it is set to the USB connection.

Lyn, WØLEN

I am wanting to configure my KAT500 antenna tuner to switch antennas when I change bands. (I have never needed to do that previously). As instructed in the KAT manual I have downloaded the KAT500 Utility Program Version  from the Elecraft site, Version 1.19.8.5, and I have connected the PC (Win 10) USB port to the PC Data port of the KAT500 using the KXUSB cable supplied with the KAT500.

When I click the Port "Test Communications" tab on the utility program I am getting the message "Contact failed xe200004e Unexpected device (not a KAT500)"   Yes, I am connected to the tuner and yes it is a KAT500!

Any advice please?

Many thanks,

Mike, WM5DX.

Mike Streeter

Many thanks to all who responded.

The KAT500 Utility Program had to be connected to a port that I have occasionally used for another piece of equipment so I had not tried to connect to that port. I eventually did try it and got connected to the KAT right away. Had to reconfigure some of the cabling between the K3, the KAT500 and the KPA500 because I also had cabling set up to connect to my Navigator. Anyway, got it all up and now working fine.

I had never bothered to set up the KAT500 with the utility program previously because I operate almost exclusively at the bottom end of the band and my antennas on all bands are less than 1.5 : 1, and I switched antennas manually if I needed to because I was very familiar with my equipment setup. However, I have some visitors coming to the shack this weekend and I wanted to set everything up so that they couldn't make mistakes. That included setting the 'per band' power to the AMP!

Again, many thanks ,

Mike, WM5DX.

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎August‎ ‎14‎, ‎2019‎ ‎02‎:‎54‎:‎26‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

I would first check to see the connection from the supplied KXUSB is correctly and solidly plugged into the KAT500 in the correct location.  Secondly, be sure the KAT500 is powered up at of after the K3S is powered up.  I use the AUX 12V from my K3S to power the KAT500 to assure the power up sequence is correct.     If you are using a USB hub or router, I suggest connecting the KXUSB direct to the computer USB port.   Windows 10 should recognize the correct port automatically.  Use the Test Communications feature in the Utility program to confirm it is correctly running.

From there it is straight forward to use the Utility Program to attain your antenna and switching requirements.   Of course you can do this manually from the KAT500 by selecting AUTO, then the antenna of your preference, and then apply a bit of RF to allow the tuner to resolve a match and save same.   The move to the next frequency, band and antenna and do the same.