KAT500 to EXTERNAL antenna changeover

David Cutter

I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
In a basic set-up I can select either antenna from a 12V supply to the changeover master relay and it will present the antennas into either antenna socket 1 or antenna socket 2 on the KAT500,
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel.  In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax.

To compare each antenna on a particular station it would quicker and more certain if I could press only the antenna selector on the KPA500 then it would signal the relay box to change over.

OR
have my switch on the relay box send a signal to the KAT500 to change antennas, NB without interfering with the band/segment data.

In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations:
How can I do that?

I have a KRC2 and N6TV Y box if that helps.

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

Joe Subich, W4TV

In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations:
How can I do that?
Tap the appropriate Ant1/Ant2/Ant3 LED and use it to drive a relay
(via the appropriate control circuit) to duplicate the behavior of
your manual switch.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-16 11:25 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Joe, I was beginning to think it would need some modest surgery.

73 David G3UNA

On 2021-06-16 11:25 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Looks like a buffer from K18 coil would provide a good starting point.

David G3UNA

On 2021-06-17 5:02 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:
Looks like a buffer from K18 coil would provide a good starting point.
I don't have the KAT500 schematic so I can't say. I referenced
the LEDs for three reasons. 1) I did not know if the antenna
select relays were latching (power/drive available all the time).
2) the LED probably does not have an inductive "kick" on open
like one might have with a relay and no back EMF diode. 3) the
LED would be a positive indication of control/status.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-16 11:25 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:

> > > I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
In a basic set-up I can select either antenna from a 12V supply to the changeover master relay and it will present the antennas into either antenna socket 1 or antenna socket 2 on the KAT500,
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel. In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax.

To compare each antenna on a particular station it would quicker and more certain if I could press only the antenna selector on the KPA500 then it would signal the relay box to change over.

OR
have my switch on the relay box send a signal to the KAT500 to change antennas, NB without interfering with the band/segment data.

In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations:
How can I do that?

I have a KRC2 and N6TV Y box if that helps.

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

David Cutter

The full schematic seems not to be available, just pages 1, 2 and 5 from what I can get on the web and it's not in the user manual.

73 David G3UNA