KAT500 to EXTERNAL antenna changeover

David Cutter

I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
In a basic set-up I can select either antenna from a 12V supply to the changeover master relay and it will present the antennas into either antenna socket 1 or antenna socket 2 on the KAT500, 
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel.  In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax. 

To compare each antenna on a particular station it would quicker and more certain if I could press only the antenna selector on the KPA500 then it would signal the relay box to change over. 

OR
have my switch on the relay box send a signal to the KAT500 to change antennas, NB without interfering with the band/segment data. 

In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations: 
How can I do that?  

I have a KRC2 and N6TV Y box if that helps.

Thanks in advance and 73 
David G3UNA

Joe Subich, W4TV

How can I do that?
Tap the appropriate Ant1/Ant2/Ant3 LED and use it to drive a relay
(via the appropriate control circuit) to duplicate the behavior of
your manual switch.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-16 11:25 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:
I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
In a basic set-up I can select either antenna from a 12V supply to the changeover master relay and it will present the antennas into either antenna socket 1 or antenna socket 2 on the KAT500,
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel.  In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax.
To compare each antenna on a particular station it would quicker and more certain if I could press only the antenna selector on the KPA500 then it would signal the relay box to change over.
OR
have my switch on the relay box send a signal to the KAT500 to change antennas, NB without interfering with the band/segment data.
How can I do that?
Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

David Cutter

Thanks, Joe, I was beginning to think it would need some modest surgery.

73 David G3UNA 

On 17 June 2021 at 02:55 "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

> In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations: > How can I do that?

your manual switch.

... Joe, W4TV

OR

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

David Cutter

Looks like a buffer from K18 coil would provide a good starting point. 

David G3UNA

On 17 June 2021 at 07:19 "David Cutter via groups.io" <d.cutter@...> wrote:

73 David G3UNA 

On 17 June 2021 at 02:55 "Joe Subich, W4TV" < lists@...> wrote:

> In short, I would like to use one button press to do both operations: > How can I do that?

your manual switch.

... Joe, W4TV

OR

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-06-17 5:02 AM, David Cutter via groups.io wrote:
I don't have the KAT500 schematic so I can't say. I referenced
the LEDs for three reasons. 1) I did not know if the antenna
select relays were latching (power/drive available all the time).
2) the LED probably does not have an inductive "kick" on open
like one might have with a relay and no back EMF diode. 3) the
LED would be a positive indication of control/status.

... Joe, W4TV

David G3UNA

On 17 June 2021 at 07:19 "David Cutter via groups.io" <d.cutter=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 David G3UNA

> > On 17 June 2021 at 02:55 "Joe Subich, W4TV" < lists@subich.com mailto:lists@subich.com > wrote:

your manual switch.

... Joe, W4TV

> > > I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel. In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax.

OR

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

> >

>

David Cutter

The full schematic seems not to be available, just pages 1, 2 and 5 from what I can get on the web and it's not in the user manual.

73 David G3UNA

On 17 June 2021 at 13:32 "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com> wrote:

> Looks like a buffer from K18 coil would provide a good starting point.

I don't have the KAT500 schematic so I can't say. I referenced
the LEDs for three reasons. 1) I did not know if the antenna
select relays were latching (power/drive available all the time).
2) the LED probably does not have an inductive "kick" on open
like one might have with a relay and no back EMF diode. 3) the
LED would be a positive indication of control/status.

... Joe, W4TV

David G3UNA

On 17 June 2021 at 07:19 "David Cutter via groups.io" <d.cutter=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 David G3UNA

> > On 17 June 2021 at 02:55 "Joe Subich, W4TV" < lists@subich.com mailto:lists@subich.com > wrote:

your manual switch.

... Joe, W4TV

> > > I have 2 multi-band antennas a long way from the shack and wish to use a single coax with a changeover relay at each end. Let's say antenna A and antenna B.
then I would select that antenna from the KAT500 front panel. In this way I take advantage of the memories for each antenna as if they were directly connected with their own coax.

OR

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance and 73
David G3UNA

> >

>