Topics

K4 Update: Transmit Features -- Emphasis on SSB

As Eric alluded to, the entire Elecraft design team is safely working from home. We're busy adding new capabilities to the K4 and testing it in real-world conditions. (If it weren't for the lock-down, I and other early users would still be inviting operators over to try it. Previous demonstrations have led to amazement over the sound of the receive audio quality, among other reactions.)

With its new, faster DSP, versatile architecture, large display, and essentially unlimited code space, the K4 can offer features that go far beyond what we've been able to offer before.

Here's a sampling of what this will mean for SSB users:

*** Optimal audio

The K4's RX and TX passband in SSB modes can be configured to be flat from below 50 Hz to over 4 kHz, with none of the drawbacks of crystal filters (delay, ripple, passband edge effects). Easy to use graphic TX/RX EQ and other bandwidth controls allow the operator to tailor the response per-mode and for different microphones. The overall effect is full, rich audio in both transmit and receive -- the latter in full stereo.

Wider transmit and receive bandwidths can also be configured for digital audio modes, ESSB, and AM, at the operator's discretion.

*** Exceptional ALC performance

The K4 uses a new ALC system designed to completely eliminate power overshoot and varying loop dynamics. This makes it both easier to adjust and more compatible with external amplifiers.

*** Multi-parameter transmit metering

In voice modes, the K4 provides clear bar graph displays of all four transmit parameters simultaneously: power output, SWR, ALC, and compression (processing level). Real-time numeric readouts of power, SWR, supply voltage/current, and PA temperature are also available.

*** Foolproof split transmit indication

You'll never lose track of whether you're in SPLIT mode with the K4: all four transmit bar graphs are grouped either on the left (non-split, i.e. VFO A = TX) or right (split, VFO B = TX). TX icons are also clear and unambiguous.

The K4 also allows full cross-band/cross-mode operation in both split and non-split.

*** Versatile audio I/O

There are mic and headphone jacks on both the front and rear panels. Some operators prefer to use the rear panel connections to avoid cluttering the operating position. Audio for both voice and data modes can be either analog (LINE in/out) or digital (via USB or Ethernet).

*** Large DVR memory

The digital voice recorder draws on the K4's large pool of flash memory, allowing virtually unlimited expansion for both transmit and receive purposes. There are also new, easy to use playback controls.

*** Redesigned PA stages

All transmit stages have been upgraded, with improved biasing, parametric monitoring, and T/R sequencing. Hardware is also in place to support closed-loop amplifier IMD optimization, both internally and externally.

*** Support for future operating modes

With DSP and MCU horsepower to burn, we'll be able to add new voice and data modes in the future (and even new bands). The K4 is designed from the ground up for extensibility in both hardware and software.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

John Canfield

Be still my pounding heart, I might need to buy a K4 this year and not wait until next year. You've touched on many of the little nagging issues (or shortcomings) I have with my K3S - the metering upgrade on the K4 is a great design idea as are the others.

John WB5THT
K3S PS3 P3 KPA1500

Ray Maxfield

Please keep me posted on your progress’s ……..

Specifically, DSP Rec Audio and TX Power level…..

Thanks  WA6VAB

[...]

Bill-K3FMQ

It would be great to hear about receiver features of the K4; i.e., comparison to the K3S.

Bill, K3FMQ

Richard Smith

Need to send one to Rob.  RAS

On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Bill Ballantine via Groups.Io <k3fmq@...> wrote:

It would be great to hear about receiver features of the K4; i.e., comparison to the K3S.

Bill, K3FMQ

Christopher Scibelli

The entire design team is working from home.  Great, but what happened to those employees who are not on the design staff?  I realize Elecraft is a small company and not Google sitting on $120 billion in cash.  However, this K3 owner cares about all Elecraft employees.  Were they laid off?  What about their health insurance?

I got my K3 back just in the nick of time.  I had corroded contacts in the PA section and they were replaced with gold contacts.  Your employees made this radio like new!  I built it in 2010.  I may keep it another 10 years.  I understand the K3 will be phased out which is a logical decision.  Can you assure K3 owners that Elecraft will keep repairing K3s in the foreseeable future?

Thanks you and very 73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

Ray

I live near Rob and will make mine available to him for testing. I’m in the first ship group. I have been discussing this with Rob and Elecraft.
Ray
W8LYJ

robert hammond

Has the K4 mail group been closed - or has this been posted in eror on the K3 mail group ?

best regards

Bob Hammond
G4DBW

The k4 group has definitely not been closed. I’m guessing this was supposed to go there.

Wayne
N6KR

On Apr 2, 2020, at 1:01 PM, robert hammond via groups.io <bobatbay@...> wrote:

Has the K4 mail group been closed - or has this been posted in eror on the K3 mail group ?

best regards

Bob Hammond
G4DBW

James F. Boehner, MD

From the initial showing of the Elecraft-K4 at Dayton 2019,  I offered those who wished to discuss the K4 on this list the opportunity to do so.  Since then, an Elecraft-K4 list has been formed.  Still, I believe there is enough interest among K3 owners to continue to allow these discussions.

I have no objection to posts about the Elecraft-K4 on this list.  Over time, I expect the posts to gravitate over to the Elecraft-K4 list.

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Elecraft-K3 Listowner

(But not the Elecraft-K4 Listowner)