Topics

K3s with K1EL keyer.

Jim Denneny

I have lost CW keying after many years without an issue. With keyer  KEY1 port interfacing with  K3s KEY port problem results The issue is when I try to send with K1EL paddle, the K3s  PTT  is keyed radio and I get a solid tone out of the radio - no dots or dashes.  If I bypass the keyer entirely and paddle connected to K3s PADDLE, port operation is normal.

This tells me  there is nothing wrong with paddle or 1/4 inch male plug. I have no idea what happened  As a further check Iplugged paddle into  K1EL keyer sending QRS with my Fluke across the same  plug and there are indications of dots and dashes. I do not see any CONFIG for KEY port beyond setting tip to dot or dash.
 I get same result keying K1EL keyer with paddle, N1MM or DXLabSuites.

Appreciate any help with this issue.  73, Jim K7EG

Gordon LaPoint

Jim,
   The output of the K1EL keyer should be plugged into the"KEY" jack on the back of the radio, NOT the "PADDLE" jack.
That should cure your problem.
Gordon - N1MGO

On 3/2/2020 18:55 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
I have lost CW keying after many years without an issue. With keyer  KEY1 port interfacing with  K3s KEY port problem results The issue is when I try to send with K1EL paddle, the K3s  PTT  is keyed radio and I get a solid tone out of the radio - no dots or dashes.  If I bypass the keyer entirely and paddle connected to K3s PADDLE, port operation is normal.

This tells me  there is nothing wrong with paddle or 1/4 inch male plug. I have no idea what happened  As a further check Iplugged paddle into  K1EL keyer sending QRS with my Fluke across the same  plug and there are indications of dots and dashes. I do not see any CONFIG for KEY port beyond setting tip to dot or dash.
 I get same result keying K1EL keyer with paddle, N1MM or DXLabSuites.

Appreciate any help with this issue.  73, Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Thanks Gordon . KEY on K1EL is plugged into KEY not PADDLE or PTT.  I  did briefly run a test with paddle plugged into PADDLE bypassing K1EL.  That works using built-in KS keyer.  I am beginning to think K1EL output is faulty.  K1EL responds to paddle or programmed three buttons.  USB jack is plugged into pc.

Ed Pflueger

Did you turn on your VOX?

Ed.. AB4IQ

On 2020-03-03 9:55 AM, Jim Denneny wrote:
Thanks Gordon . KEY on K1EL is plugged into KEY not PADDLE or PTT.  I  did briefly run a test with paddle plugged into PADDLE bypassing K1EL.  That works using built-in KS keyer.  I am beginning to think K1EL output is faulty.  K1EL responds to paddle or programmed three buttons.  USB jack is plugged into pc.

Jim Denneny

Issue resolved I was using color code on K1EL jacks. to install PTT and KEY inputs. Red on Red and White on White. Seemed logical  but....That was wrong.  Reversed plugs and all is well.

Thanks for the help. Joe, Pete et al.

73, Jim K7EG