Topics

K3S to be discontinued; bug fixes, not

One of our distinguished customers revealed:

Sounds like I'm a relative youngster at 67!

Hi all,

I maintain the K3/K3S/KX3/KX2 firmware. Good news is that I'm still just a kid on the Timeless Veteran Ham scale (my TVH ratio appears to have leveled out at 0.73).

I put in about 4 miles a day striding up and down our local precipitous hills, so I expect to be generating thousands of BTUs worth of C code a year for the foreseeable future. (I can also vouch for Eric, who's the same age as I am and enjoys frequent runs on the beaches of Aptos and Capitola.)

I'm still polishing up K4 firmware at the moment, but I will indeed be continuing legacy product support as time permits.

Wayne
N6KR

Ed Pflueger

Well I'm 73 and manage to get in 15 to 20 miles a week but walking at the
Mall. Lots cooler in the summer and toasty warm in the winter and just
right in the spring and fall. In fact I just finished up my K2's KPA100
tonight. Keep polishing Wayne, I might have been the first to buy a K4HD at
Dayton but my credit card company said you're from Kentucky not Ohio. Took
Madeline and I several tries to get the job done. Hi...

Ed.. AB4IQ

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of N6KR
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2019 8:02 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued; bug fixes, not

One of our distinguished customers revealed:

Sounds like I'm a relative youngster at 67!

Hi all,

I maintain the K3/K3S/KX3/KX2 firmware. Good news is that I'm still just a
kid on the Timeless Veteran Ham scale (my TVH ratio appears to have leveled
out at 0.73).

I put in about 4 miles a day striding up and down our local precipitous
hills, so I expect to be generating thousands of BTUs worth of C code a year
for the foreseeable future. (I can also vouch for Eric, who's the same age
as I am and enjoys frequent runs on the beaches of Aptos and Capitola.)

I'm still polishing up K4 firmware at the moment, but I will indeed be
continuing legacy product support as time permits.

Wayne
N6KR

John

I think it is a mistake to stop making the k-3s. Not every can afford the k-4. I was going to buy the k-3s sometime when I could afford to buy one. The k4 has to many bells and whistles for me and other hams as well at our old age. I am go[ing to retire soon and will not spend the money for the k-4.I hope you think this out soon and I am a business man also.

73's
John k1zcy

David Ferrington, M0XDF

John, there are a number of K3 and K3S coming on the second hand market (presumably people selling because they want to buy a K4) - keep you eye open and purchase one of those. If you’re not a member, join the Elecraft reflector, a lot come up there.

73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
-- 
Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed
to be doing at that moment. -Robert Benchley

On 12 Nov 2019, at 05:49, John via Groups.Io <ka1951@...> wrote:

I think it is a mistake to stop making the k-3s. Not every can afford the k-4. I was going to buy the k-3s sometime when I could afford to buy one. The k4 has to many bells and whistles for me and other hams as well at our old age. I am go[ing to retire soon and will not spend the money for the k-4.I hope you think this out soon and I am a business man also.

73's
John k1zcy

Bob G3REP

David (M0XDF),
in my case I put off buying a new one as I could not justify the cost until a nice deal came up :-)

Then after going through the learning curve short/long push for so many options I will probably go back to the opposition now they have a higher bench mark to aim for which was raised by Elecraft.

73s
Bob
G3REP

Bill Mader

John,

There will "always" be a, or many, used K3 for sale.  Looking at current used prices, you can pick-up a bargain frequently.  A well-equipped new K3 price approaches that of a K4 and you get an awesome, built-in panadaptor plus other great features in the K4.  I'll be 75 next week and the K4 entices me, not scares me.  The K3 was a big jump for me from my TS-940.  The K4 will be another big jump for me from the K3.  Hopefully, it will be ready to ship to NM when we return from our Winter visit to SW AZ in February.

We are fortunate we can choose what we want and can afford.  I read this in an astronomy magazine long ago:  "Buy once.  Cry once."  That seems like great advice for both ham radio and astronomy purchases.  As I focus primarily on contesting and DX'ing, I find Elecraft's feature sets keep making those aspects of our avocation every more interesting, fun, and satisfying.
--

73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2
W6H NM Coordinator, Route 66 On-the-Air 4-13 Sep 2020
ARRL New Mexico Section Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
Duke City Hamfest BoD Vice-Chairman www.dukecityhamfest.org 18-20 Sep 2020
Secretary and Past President, Albuquerque DX Association