Topics

K3S to be discontinued

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Well this was certainly and "eye opener", but not totally unexpected.  

From the Elecraft Newsletter:

"If you've been thinking about purchasing a K3S, now is the time!  Purchase your K3S before Oct 31, and you'll receive both the October Special pricing plus an additional discount up to $125. 

Elecraft has a limited number of K3S transceivers in stock...when the last one is sold, the K3S will be discontinued.  Like any of our discontinued products, Elecraft will continue to provide support to K3S owners."

Bob, K4TAX

dalej

Maybe that will help the used prices.  Even so, I have no plans to sell mine for a K4.  I’ve already got out of that thinking.  

Cheers

Dale, K9VUJ

On 25, Oct 2019, at 19:16, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

Well this was certainly and "eye opener", but not totally unexpected.  

From the Elecraft Newsletter:

"If you've been thinking about purchasing a K3S, now is the time!  Purchase your K3S before Oct 31, and you'll receive both the October Special pricing plus an additional discount up to $125. 

Elecraft has a limited number of K3S transceivers in stock...when the last one is sold, the K3S will be discontinued.  Like any of our discontinued products, Elecraft will continue to provide support to K3S owners."

Bob, K4TAX

robert hammond

Not an unexpected decision, but what’s the current Elecraft HF transceiver offering to the market ?  

KX3’s and K2 kits ? K4 have yet to be shipped ? 

Bob G4DBW 

Ian Kahn

Will upgrade kits/parts, for the original K3, still be available? I have a very early serial number K3, number 281, that I would like to upgrade, but haven't had the funds to do so. I was hoping to have them available at a later time, in a couple of year.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C
K3 #281, P3 #261
Roswell, GA EM74

David Ferrington, M0XDF

I hope so too

-73 de M0XDF

On 26 Oct 2019, at 15:05, Ian Kahn <nv4c.ian@...> wrote:

Will upgrade kits/parts, for the original K3, still be available? I have a very early serial number K3, number 281, that I would like to upgrade, but haven't had the funds to do so. I was hoping to have them available at a later time, in a couple of year.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C
K3 #281, P3 #261
Roswell, GA EM74

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

The K3S and options are available as long as the inventory lasts.  This is per the Elecraft Newsletter.

Bob, K4TAX

On 10/26/2019 3:28 AM, robert hammond via Groups.Io wrote:
Not an unexpected decision, but what’s the current Elecraft HF transceiver offering to the market ?  

Bob G4DBW 

dalej

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000.  If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.  

Dale, K9VUJ

On 26, Oct 2019, at 8:42, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

The K3S and options are available as long as the inventory lasts.  This is per the Elecraft Newsletter.

Bob, K4TAX

On 10/26/2019 3:28 AM, robert hammond via Groups.Io wrote:

Bob G4DBW 

GRANT YOUNGMAN <ghyoungman@...>

Actually, you’ll have to buy the K4HD. And that hasn’t been priced yet.

One might expect the K4HD to end up with overall better numbers than the K3/K3S. Depends on whether the improvement is in the margins or consequential. And even if it has a few dB more or less here and there, the K3/S will be no slouch …

Grant NQ5T

On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:28 AM, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000. If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.

Dale, K9VUJ

David Pratt

In a recent message, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io>
writes
So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to
buy the K4D at around $5000.  If one needs the remote possibilities
along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you
don’t already have a K3 w. P3.  
It has been suggested that people can trade in their K3 or K3S when
buying a K4. The K3 and K3S will then be refurbished by Elecraft so
making them available for those for which the price of the K4 is beyond
their means.

73 de David G4DMP

--
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds. |
| Website: http://www.g4dmp.co.uk |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

dalej

Yes, I was mistaken, K4HD. I thought I seen somewhere it would be priced above $5k. As for myself, I already have one K3 and one K3s with P3. I don’t need the enhanced remote stuff and not interested in using it with a smart phone or iPad.

I’m just a simple ham, no complicated contesting stuff. :)

Dale, K9VUJ

On 26, Oct 2019, at 9:36, GRANT YOUNGMAN <ghyoungman@...> wrote:

Actually, you’ll have to buy the K4HD. And that hasn’t been priced yet.

One might expect the K4HD to end up with overall better numbers than the K3/K3S. Depends on whether the improvement is in the margins or consequential. And even if it has a few dB more or less here and there, the K3/S will be no slouch …

Grant NQ5T

On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:28 AM, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000. If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.

Dale, K9VUJ

Mel Marcus

Ian

I just had some upgrades done, and though I am happy with the upgrades, they were expensive, it might be less expensive to buy someones k3 or k3s for less than the upgrades would cost you.

Mel
NE9A

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued
Date: Sat, October 26, 2019 7:05 am
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C
K3 #281, P3 #261
Roswell, GA EM74

Geert Jan de Groot

At one end, I understand the resources at Elecraft are limited and they need to focus, so dropping older, competing products makes sense.

But I wish Elecraft would be more open about this. I think the announcement newsletter was sent prematurely, but I do worry about support for older Elecraft kit.

Since the K3 was introduced, no update to K2 was made, with the exception of replacing some unobtanium DIL devices with their SMD counterparts. Certainly, no software update was made to the K2.

I worry about fixing bugs to K3(S) and P3. Several bug reports are years old and there is no sign of them getting fixed. Will there be new firmware for K3 (latest: jan 2019), or the P3 (latest: march 2016)

As to K2, Elecraft recently silently discontinued the XV60 option module, because of "parts unavailability". I checked the parts on the XV60 and can't find what part is obsolete - certainly the PIC processors are still in production. Stopping the XV60 makes the unit much less usable for VHF/UHF, and I see this as a first sign of  obsolescence of the K2.

I do understand creating something like the K4 requires significant engineering resources. But I hope Elecraft will decide to, for instance, release the source code for obsoleted products, so that we can do some of the maintenance ourselves. Things like the HW-8 have been around for decades and people are still keeping them alive; for Elecraft gear, this is more complex w/o access to the code. And is an obsoleted product, based on older technology, really going to compete with the Elecraft flagship products?

harry latterman <harrylatterman@...>

As I understood it talking to tech support a few years ago, Elecraft at that time has about 50 or 60 total employees... I believe all were hams. Thus long term support for all the past products have to have a drop dead date at some time. Hey the big guys have done it all the time. Many of the Icom, Yeasu, and Kenwood product all have end of life.  You can only have so much space in a warehouse for parts for old products.

As far as firmware goes, if they get enough requests for a new feature for the K3/K3S or have a bug found I am sure they will fix the bug and if possible assign someone to add a new feature.  But in the end you will have what you have and no more... If the radio needs repairing they will do it and do it right and fast, that has been my experience.  Unlike Icom, Yeasu, Kenwood and now Flex, Elecraft is a company that was started by hams, run by hams and their only market is ham radio.  Add to that these men and women actually use their own products...

Stop worrying.  The K3/K3S will be supported.  There is NO need to do anything else to the K2. If they had a few hundred requests I am sure they would, but that has not happened and I doubt it will. However keep in mind also the short life span of the K2 as being the flagship radio.  The K3 came out as not only a replacement but one that was intended to last for many years with many new features and improvement and bolt on's like the P3 and the KPA500/KAT500.  Technology has change a lot since the into of the K2 and even more so since the K3.  Time to move on and put limited resources into the next generation.  I suspect the K3/K3S prices will tank on the used market for a short period of time while people dump then and buy and K4.  Then I also suspect the price of the used K3/K3S will become stable and then go back up in price.  Why? Because of size, weight and performance...

My observation, take it or leave it...

73 Harry K7ZOV

Ray Maxfield

When Products are no longer Supported or Discontinued,

the Software and Hardware Documentation should be Opened

to the Buys of the Products so they maybe Enjoyed Over the LIFETIME of the Buyer.   

I am Only 73 yrs, I want to use them until I Dye at Age 100.    WA6VAB  K3 Owner.

HATE  Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2019 12:23 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued

At one end, I understand the resources at Elecraft are limited and they need to focus, so dropping older, competing products makes sense.

But I wish Elecraft would be more open about this. I think the announcement newsletter was sent prematurely, but I do worry about support for older Elecraft kit.

Since the K3 was introduced, no update to K2 was made, with the exception of replacing some unobtanium DIL devices with their SMD counterparts. Certainly, no software update was made to the K2.

I worry about fixing bugs to K3(S) and P3. Several bug reports are years old and there is no sign of them getting fixed. Will there be new firmware for K3 (latest: jan 2019), or the P3 (latest: march 2016)

As to K2, Elecraft recently silently discontinued the XV60 option module, because of "parts unavailability". I checked the parts on the XV60 and can't find what part is obsolete - certainly the PIC processors are still in production. Stopping the XV60 makes the unit much less usable for VHF/UHF, and I see this as a first sign of  obsolescence of the K2.

I do understand creating something like the K4 requires significant engineering resources. But I hope Elecraft will decide to, for instance, release the source code for obsoleted products, so that we can do some of the maintenance ourselves. Things like the HW-8 have been around for decades and people are still keeping them alive; for Elecraft gear, this is more complex w/o access to the code. And is an obsoleted product, based on older technology, really going to compete with the Elecraft flagship products?

dalej

My days of spending big money on rigs are mostly gone.  I’m in it for the long haul and my K3 and K3s will be here for a long time.  It serves me well for what I want to do.  P3 is excellent pan scope and everything works together seamlessly FB.  

Dale, K9VUJ

On 27, Oct 2019, at 14:41, Ray Maxfield <wa6vab@...> wrote:

to the Buys of the Products so they maybe Enjoyed Over the LIFETIME of the Buyer.   

I am Only 73 yrs, I want to use them until I Dye at Age 100.    WA6VAB  K3 Owner.

HATE  Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2019 12:23 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued

Ray,

Once you open the software and the hardware the Chinese knock off artist will come in and make cheap junk.  Good way to put a company out of business.  I will be 72 in Dec and the radios I have now I hope will last until I am 100...But then again I have a disease when it come to ham radio equipment. I do a whole lot of trading.  So far one of my K3/100 and my KX2 are still safe... My FTdx5000MPL is not.. I have been thinking about trying to trade it for a FTdx101D or might wait and try for a K4... I got my first K3/100 F is a straight trade for a TenTec Eagle.  My second one was a DOA/tech special. Of all the radio companies I have dealt with no one comes even close to Elecraft when it comes to customer service and the radios are hard to beat..

73 Harry  K7ZOV

Wes

Nonsense.  It's intellectual property that can/might be used in other Elecraft products.

I turned 78 yesterday and I wish they would start shipping K4s soon so I can start my, "wait a year after deliveries start before buying" clock.

Wes  N7WS

On 10/27/2019 12:41 PM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

HATE  Windows 10

Richard Smith

I wonder what the average age of the K3/K3S user is?  I’m 71.  Hope average is a lot lower for future sales.  RAS

On Oct 27, 2019, at 3:59 PM, Wes <wes@...> wrote:

Nonsense.  It's intellectual property that can/might be used in other Elecraft products.

I turned 78 yesterday and I wish they would start shipping K4s soon so I can start my, "wait a year after deliveries start before buying" clock.

Wes  N7WS

HATE  Windows 10

I'm 71 going on 72 this December.

Harry K7ZOV

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 2:58:15 PM MST, Richard Smith <ku4nz01@...> wrote:

I wonder what the average age of the K3/K3S user is?  I’m 71.  Hope average is a lot lower for future sales.  RAS

Wes  N7WS

HATE  Windows 10

dalej

Obviously the ham radio is getting older.  I wonder looking forward 20 plus years what it will look like then.  

Dale, K9VUJ

On 27, Oct 2019, at 17:02, harry latterman via Groups.Io <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

I'm 71 going on 72 this December.

Harry K7ZOV

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 2:58:15 PM MST, Richard Smith <ku4nz01@...> wrote:

Wes  N7WS

HATE  Windows 10