Topics

K3S to be discontinued

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Well this was certainly and "eye opener", but not totally unexpected.

From the Elecraft Newsletter:

"If you've been thinking about purchasing a K3S, now is the time!  Purchase your K3S before Oct 31, and you'll receive both the October Special pricing plus an additional discount up to $125.

Elecraft has a limited number of K3S transceivers in stock...when the last one is sold, the K3S will be discontinued.  Like any of our discontinued products, Elecraft will continue to provide support to K3S owners."

dalej

Maybe that will help the used prices.  Even so, I have no plans to sell mine for a K4.  I’ve already got out of that thinking.

Cheers

Dale, K9VUJ

On 25, Oct 2019, at 19:16, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

Well this was certainly and "eye opener", but not totally unexpected.

From the Elecraft Newsletter:

"If you've been thinking about purchasing a K3S, now is the time!  Purchase your K3S before Oct 31, and you'll receive both the October Special pricing plus an additional discount up to $125.

Elecraft has a limited number of K3S transceivers in stock...when the last one is sold, the K3S will be discontinued.  Like any of our discontinued products, Elecraft will continue to provide support to K3S owners."

robert hammond

Not an unexpected decision, but what’s the current Elecraft HF transceiver offering to the market ?

KX3’s and K2 kits ? K4 have yet to be shipped ?

Bob G4DBW

Ian Kahn

Will upgrade kits/parts, for the original K3, still be available? I have a very early serial number K3, number 281, that I would like to upgrade, but haven't had the funds to do so. I was hoping to have them available at a later time, in a couple of year.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C
K3 #281, P3 #261
Roswell, GA EM74

David Ferrington, M0XDF

I hope so too

-73 de M0XDF

On 26 Oct 2019, at 15:05, Ian Kahn <nv4c.ian@...> wrote:

Will upgrade kits/parts, for the original K3, still be available? I have a very early serial number K3, number 281, that I would like to upgrade, but haven't had the funds to do so. I was hoping to have them available at a later time, in a couple of year.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, NV4C
K3 #281, P3 #261
Roswell, GA EM74

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

The K3S and options are available as long as the inventory lasts.  This is per the Elecraft Newsletter.

On 10/26/2019 3:28 AM, robert hammond via Groups.Io wrote:
Not an unexpected decision, but what’s the current Elecraft HF transceiver offering to the market ?

KX3’s and K2 kits ? K4 have yet to be shipped ?

Bob G4DBW

dalej

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000.  If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.

Dale, K9VUJ

On 26, Oct 2019, at 8:42, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

The K3S and options are available as long as the inventory lasts.  This is per the Elecraft Newsletter.

On 10/26/2019 3:28 AM, robert hammond via Groups.Io wrote:
Not an unexpected decision, but what’s the current Elecraft HF transceiver offering to the market ?

KX3’s and K2 kits ? K4 have yet to be shipped ?

Bob G4DBW

GRANT YOUNGMAN <ghyoungman@...>

Actually, you’ll have to buy the K4HD. And that hasn’t been priced yet.

One might expect the K4HD to end up with overall better numbers than the K3/K3S. Depends on whether the improvement is in the margins or consequential. And even if it has a few dB more or less here and there, the K3/S will be no slouch …

Grant NQ5T

On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:28 AM, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000. If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.

Dale, K9VUJ

David Pratt

In a recent message, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io>
writes
So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to
buy the K4D at around $5000.  If one needs the remote possibilities
along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you
don’t already have a K3 w. P3.
It has been suggested that people can trade in their K3 or K3S when
buying a K4. The K3 and K3S will then be refurbished by Elecraft so
making them available for those for which the price of the K4 is beyond
their means.

73 de David G4DMP

--
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds. |

dalej

Yes, I was mistaken, K4HD. I thought I seen somewhere it would be priced above $5k. As for myself, I already have one K3 and one K3s with P3. I don’t need the enhanced remote stuff and not interested in using it with a smart phone or iPad.

I’m just a simple ham, no complicated contesting stuff. :)

73
Dale, K9VUJ

On 26, Oct 2019, at 9:36, GRANT YOUNGMAN <ghyoungman@...> wrote:

Actually, you’ll have to buy the K4HD. And that hasn’t been priced yet.

One might expect the K4HD to end up with overall better numbers than the K3/K3S. Depends on whether the improvement is in the margins or consequential. And even if it has a few dB more or less here and there, the K3/S will be no slouch …

Grant NQ5T

On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:28 AM, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

So in order to get the same performance as the K3 buyers will have to buy the K4D at around $5000. If one needs the remote possibilities along with iPad useage then the K4D might be a way to go providing you don’t already have a K3 w. P3.

Dale, K9VUJ

Mel Marcus

Ian

I just had some upgrades done, and though I am happy with the upgrades, they were expensive, it might be less expensive to buy someones k3 or k3s for less than the upgrades would cost you.

Mel
NE9A