Topics

K3S Power Down


Michael Foerster
 

I have a K3s that I use with an Arduino to allow me to run remotely using RemoteHams.com.
  The Arduino pulls the Pin 8 of the 15 pin connector.  There is also a timeout timer so that if case I loose comms with it when I'm remote, I know that it will shut off the rig by turning off the AC/Power Supply after so many hours.

Problem is, when it does shut off by dropping the 13.8 VDC, it can corrupt the memory in the K3s, it's happened several times.

Is there any other way that the Arduino can shut off the K3s (toggle the pin 8 again???).
   I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.

Any other way to SAFELY turn off the K3?

Mike, W0IH


Jim Brown
 

On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
Problem is, when it does shut off by dropping the 13.8 VDC, it can corrupt the memory in the K3s, it's happened several times.
The problem you're running into is that modern Elecraft rigs (after the K2) write their current setup to RAM when we turn them off with the power switch. If we just kill power, we most likely return to the last "turned off" condition. In a worst case condition, we can end up with "crap" for the radio condition and require a return to default setup (EEINIT) that loses all of our settings. I've run into both of these conditions several times over 12 years.

I've never tried to do what you're doing, but I suspect there's a solution via the AUX terminal. The manual may yield clues to a solution.

73, Jim K9YC


Rick NK7I
 

From the programming manual:

PS (Transceiver Power Status; GET/SET)
SET/RSP format: PSn; where n = 1 indicates transceiver on. Note: PS0 turns the transceiver off, but this removes
power, so PS1 cannot be used to turn it on. To turn power on, the K3’s POWER_ON line (aux I/O jack) must be
pulled low by an external device, or it can be turned on manually using the power switch.

Pin 8 is power on, only (<50 ms required).

So causing the Arduino to send the CAT command at the proper time is your only graceful solution to power down.

73,
Rick NK7I


On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
I have a K3s that I use with an Arduino to allow me to run remotely using RemoteHams.com.
  The Arduino pulls the Pin 8 of the 15 pin connector.  There is also a timeout timer so that if case I loose comms with it when I'm remote, I know that it will shut off the rig by turning off the AC/Power Supply after so many hours.

Problem is, when it does shut off by dropping the 13.8 VDC, it can corrupt the memory in the K3s, it's happened several times.

Is there any other way that the Arduino can shut off the K3s (toggle the pin 8 again???).
   I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.

Any other way to SAFELY turn off the K3?

Mike, W0IH


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.
Why not? It's very simple programming for the Arduino.

Route your incoming CAT stream to the serial input of the Arduino and
echo it to the serial output/K3 input (and echo the serial data from
the K3 back to the network/remote). When the timeout timer times
out, have it trigger a GPIO on the Arduino which causes the processor
to stop echoing CAT input, send "PS0;" and wait for the next "power
on" command.

You could even designed it to monitor the CAT input stream looking
for "PS1;" to pulse pin 8 and turn the K3/K3S on.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-03-02 3:28 PM, Rick NK7I wrote:
From the programming manual:
PS (Transceiver Power Status; GET/SET)
SET/RSP format: PSn; where n = 1 indicates transceiver on. Note: PS0 turns the transceiver off, but this removes
power, so PS1 cannot be used to turn it on. To turn power on, the K3’s POWER_ON line (aux I/O jack) must be
pulled low by an external device, or it can be turned on manually using the power switch.
Pin 8 is power on, only (<50 ms required).
So causing the Arduino to send the CAT command at the proper time is your only graceful solution to power down.
73,
Rick NK7I
On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
I have a K3s that I use with an Arduino to allow me to run remotely using RemoteHams.com.
  The Arduino pulls the Pin 8 of the 15 pin connector.  There is also a timeout timer so that if case I loose comms with it when I'm remote, I know that it will shut off the rig by turning off the AC/Power Supply after so many hours.

Problem is, when it does shut off by dropping the 13.8 VDC, it can corrupt the memory in the K3s, it's happened several times.

Is there any other way that the Arduino can shut off the K3s (toggle the pin 8 again???).
   I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.

Any other way to SAFELY turn off the K3?

Mike, W0IH


Michael Foerster
 

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:08 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Why not? It's very simple programming for the Arduino.
I have the serial port going either to my 1.2KW LDMOS amp, or it's switched to the PC for connection to RemoteHams.com.  The time-out timer is to make sure that if I loose the comms (when remote) that it will shut off (and thus ground the antennas, etc.)

   I'm just trying to figure out a better way of turning the rig off...

Thanks anyway guys!

Mike, W0IH


Rick NK7I
 

In that case, check to see if you can 'share' the serial output of the Arduino to both the amp and the K3S ("talk" to both at the same time).  As long as the command sets are different (i.e. K3S commands end in a semicolon) each piece of hardware would ignore commands for the other; allowing both to be controlled with one serial port.  Caution is needed, this exceeds the RS-232 specs (but is done elsewhere).

Failing that, add another serial port (USB dongle, hub?) on the Arduino to the K3S, which would also be useful in reporting technical details of the station (power out, frequency etc) if RemoteHam software doesn't already.

If neither are an option; petition RemoteHams to add the shutdown ability to their software; time out/LOS shut down included.

73, GL,
Rick NK7I


On 3/2/2021 10:19 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:08 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Why not? It's very simple programming for the Arduino.
I have the serial port going either to my 1.2KW LDMOS amp, or it's switched to the PC for connection to RemoteHams.com.  The time-out timer is to make sure that if I loose the comms (when remote) that it will shut off (and thus ground the antennas, etc.)

   I'm just trying to figure out a better way of turning the rig off...

Thanks anyway guys!

Mike, W0IH


Michael Foerster
 

Rick,

I've been wondering about that, sharing the serial port.  On my LDMOS amp project (uses an Arduino Mega, 4 Serial Ports).  I'm wondering how I could share ports, if I would just parallel them?  I've also considered putting in a relay where every time the Arduino wanted to talk to the K3, that it would first open the relay to disconnect it from the rest of the system.

Have you don this before?
   I'd like to take this conversation off-line if you do have some experience with it. 

Mike, W0IH


Rick NK7I
 

Mike,

I have not done this; but use a special Y cable on my K3 so the SteppIR controller can copy the frequency of the radio (which is connected to a computer).  So it should be possible.  (The SteppIR controller has two ports, one to the computer, one from the radio; so no computer is required for the SteppIR to track with the radio and adjust as needed.)

Note that I said only the data FROM the Arduino, not a two way conversations.  All devices would have to be at the same bit rate, the K3S would not be allowed to send data to the Arduino (on the same serial port).

There are a lot of variables to consider and much of it is beyond what I've done.

If you are using the USB port on the K3S, perhaps there is a way to share it with both the RemoteHam and the Arduino?  Have the Arduino talk to the computer running RemoteHam to cause a macro ("PS0;") to be sent?

GL,
Rick NK7I


On 3/3/2021 8:00 AM, Michael Foerster wrote:
Rick,

I've been wondering about that, sharing the serial port.  On my LDMOS amp project (uses an Arduino Mega, 4 Serial Ports).  I'm wondering how I could share ports, if I would just parallel them?  I've also considered putting in a relay where every time the Arduino wanted to talk to the K3, that it would first open the relay to disconnect it from the rest of the system.

Have you don this before?
   I'd like to take this conversation off-line if you do have some experience with it. 

Mike, W0IH