K3S: Partial amnesia

Udo, DK5YA

My K3S is suffering from partial amnesia. The radio always forgets the Config: PTT settings (DTR -- RTS) after shut down. USB is set to RS232.

I remember well when this has happened before to one of my older K3 radios still sitting here in the shack and there was a solution I unfortunatley can't remember. Any suggestion please?

73 Udo, DK5YA

Martin Kratoska, OK1RR <martin@...>

Change the battery...

73,
Martin, OK1RR

Dne 19. 08. 21 v 10:02 Udo, DK5YA napsal(a):

My K3S is suffering from partial amnesia. The radio always forgets the Config: PTT settings (DTR -- RTS) after shut down. USB is set to RS232.

I remember well when this has happened before to one of my older K3 radios still sitting here in the shack and there was a solution I unfortunatley can't remember. Any suggestion please?

73 Udo, DK5YA

Udo, DK5YA

Martin, it's not about the battery since other changes are stored without any problems. I have two much older K3 in the shack (Ser. 17xx and 59xx) and they don't suffer from low battery. They keep their settings and so does the K3S (ser. 112xx) except the PTT settings RTS--DTR.

73 Udo, DK5YA

Stewart G3RXQ

According to the manual all the coin battery does is keeps the RTC (real time clock) going when the rig is powered off...

73 Stewart G3RXQ / G3Q

southdaleus

Yes, I believe the battery is just to keep the clock alive when no power is on the radio.

Dale, k9vuj

Keith_WE6R <keithtrinity@...>

Are you turning off the radio with the POWER button on the radio or shutting down DC power to the radio?
Use the POWER button on the radio to save current setup changes.
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3/K4 Tech

Udo, DK5YA

Edited

Hello Keith,

I'm shutting down by the power button and the radio saves all the changes except Config: PTT RTS - - DTR. A miracle. It's exactly what happened before years ago with my older K3 #5670 and a K3 in the shack of my buddy. He ownes three K3 and one K3S. One of the older K3 won't store PTT settings while the other one's do. Weird.

73 Udo DK5YA

73 Udo DK5YA

24.08.2021 16:40:54 Keith_WE6R <keithtrinity@...>:

Are you turning off the radio with the POWER button on the radio or shutting down DC power to the radio?
Use the POWER button on the radio to save current setup changes.
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3/K4 Tech

Stewart G3RXQ

Long shot - might be worth comparing Firmware revisions between the K3's.

73 Stewart G3RXQ / G3Q

Udo, DK5YA

Hi Stewart,

they are all at the same and latest firmware level. Each.

73 Udo, DK5YA

Keith_WE6R <keithtrinity@...>

I found it in the Manual Errata;
PTT/KEY USE WITH THE USB PORT IMPROVED: Some PC applications can control PTT and KEY at the K3S via the RTS/DTR signals of the USB port. However, use of these signals may also allow the PC’s USB port initialization to unexpectedly activate transmit at the K3S. This can happen if the computer is turned on after the K3S, or if the USB cable is not connected. There is now a "Safe" mode (the default) which disables PTT-KEY transmit until the K3S receives a command via USB, such as a read of the rig's VFO frequency. To turn on safe mode on/off, go into CONFIG:PTT-KEY and tap '1' to select "USB SAFE" or "UNSAFE". Exit the menu and turn the K3S off/on. Applications that use PTTKEY via USB but never send commands may require "UNSAFE" mode. In this case, unwanted transmit can be avoided by turning the PC on before the K3S.
Keith WE6R

Udo, DK5YA

Keith,

that was the solution! Great, thank you. Now Config:PTT-KEY setting is stored when set to "unsafe". Thanks a lot.

73 Udo, DK5YA

Bob Wilson, N6TV

To prevent Windows reboots and USB cable connections from accidentally keying a K3S at boot time, I strongly recommend changing the Properties of all FTDI virtual serial ports, including those provided by the K3S or by the Elecraft KUSB cable or equivalent FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter.

The Windows default options are not good for FTDI devices, because the options "encourage" Windows to look for a serial mouse (!) or a dial-up modem (!) on the virtual serial port port at boot time, or whenever the USB cable is reconnected.  Those actions pulse the DTR and RTS pins about 7 times.

To prevent this unwanted behavior, always uncheck the box next to Serial Enumerator and always check the box next to Disable Modem Ctrl At Startup so it looks like this:

Major Windows updates that include a new FTDI driver can change these options back to the defaults, so you may have to do this again if the problem returns.

More details here:  https://bit.ly/FTDItip

See also the presentations linked at the bottom of my QRZ.com page:
The 2021 version also describes how to label your serial ports in the Windows Device Manager, and how to prevent unwanted DTR/RTS keying from legacy 9-pin serial ports like COM1: which some computers still have.

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 4:46 AM Udo, DK5YA <udo@...> wrote:
Keith,

that was the solution! Great, thank you. Now Config:PTT-KEY setting is stored when set to "unsafe". Thanks a lot.

73 Udo, DK5YA

john ni0k

Have you tried saving your configuration, then doing a reset to factory config then before anything else see if it will save the PTT config?

-de John NI0K rural Debs, MN
https://www.qrz.com/db/ni0k

[Edited Message Follows]