K3S and SteppIR SDA100 controller


Jim Denneny
 

I also posted this on SteppIR Groups.

Recently suffered DB25 cable damage due to a rodent.  Trying to splice repair cable.  Damage also killed two driver chips in SDA100 controller.

Somehow the SDA100 Autotrack function suddenly stopped working two days ago with my Elecraft K3s radio.  Autotrack is enabled at 9600-9600 baud and radio interface for Elecraft is KENWOOD to the best of my recollection.  It's pretty straight forward.  What am I missing?  I cannot see any connection between failed drivers and autotrack??

Jim K7EG


Mike Flowers
 

Unless there was also damage to the transceiver interface board. 

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On May 4, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Jim Denneny <57JNDenneny@...> wrote:

I also posted this on SteppIR Groups.

Recently suffered DB25 cable damage due to a rodent.  Trying to splice repair cable.  Damage also killed two driver chips in SDA100 controller.

Somehow the SDA100 Autotrack function suddenly stopped working two days ago with my Elecraft K3s radio.  Autotrack is enabled at 9600-9600 baud and radio interface for Elecraft is KENWOOD to the best of my recollection.  It's pretty straight forward.  What am I missing?  I cannot see any connection between failed drivers and autotrack??

Jim K7EG


Jim Brown
 

On 5/4/2021 3:59 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
Recently suffered DB25 cable damage due to a rodent.  Trying to splice repair cable.  Damage also killed two driver chips in SDA100 controller.
Had the same thing happen to me, where we had a new deck built over it. It took new driver chips the replacement of a length of cable. I added a section of PVC conduit where it goes under that deck.

73, Jim K9YC


Jim Denneny
 

Ouch! Thanks Mike.  Hard to imagine control cable failure causing transceiver board failure..


Mike Flowers
 

The SDA100 is, IMHO, a rather fragile device.   The designers could have done a lot more to protect the device from foreseeable electrical events. 

But, get the product out the door ...

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On May 4, 2021, at 6:32 PM, Jim Denneny <57JNDenneny@...> wrote:

Ouch! Thanks Mike.  Hard to imagine control cable failure causing transceiver board failure..


Jim Denneny
 

Thanks Jim & Mike.  Transceiver interface is working again.

Config>RS232 was set to "USB" meaning application determines data rate.  SDA100 was set for autotrack at 9600 bd.  I changed K3s RS232 setting from USB to 9600 and SDA100 is again tracking K3s.  My KPA1500 Remote data transfer software (local connect) data rate is set to 230400bd and it works with k3s 9600 bd rate. Weird.

Meanwhile back to my SteppIR DB18E cable issue.  I definitely have two driver chip failures plus cable reflector wires are "hosed".  Hope to locate and splice with DB 25 M/F breakout connectors. I think it was a rodent.

Jim K7EG


Bob Wilson, N6TV
 

You can set CONFIG:RS232 to USB and still use the SDA100.  Just have to set baud rate to 38400 in the SDA100 and connect to K3 via proper RS232 splitter or S-BOX, with no TXD Lines (pin 3) wired in pareallel to the SDA100.  Works with P3 and CBL3PY and standard S-BOX and standard serial cable, or SteppIR cable, no problem.

When CONFIG:RS232 is set to USB, the baud rate of the RJ45/RS232 pigtail (Elecraft P/N E980297) or CBLP3Y female connector is fixed at 38400 baud.


On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 7:51 AM Jim Denneny <57JNDenneny@...> wrote:
Thanks Jim & Mike.  Transceiver interface is working again.

Config>RS232 was set to "USB" meaning application determines data rate.  SDA100 was set for autotrack at 9600 bd.  I changed K3s RS232 setting from USB to 9600 and SDA100 is again tracking K3s.  My KPA1500 Remote data transfer software (local connect) data rate is set to 230400bd and it works with k3s 9600 bd rate. Weird.

Meanwhile back to my SteppIR DB18E cable issue.  I definitely have two driver chip failures plus cable reflector wires are "hosed".  Hope to locate and splice with DB 25 M/F breakout connectors. I think it was a rodent.

Jim K7EG