K3s and DXL Commander or N1MM+

Jim Denneny

I am having an I/O communication issue  with DXL Commander, N1MM+ etc.  Cable is not issue. Connection is over Com 8 using FTDI driver.  PC says COM8 is working OK.

Here are the symptoms:

1. K3s / Commander Commander is receiving VFO A data but not mode. I must enter mode manually into Commander.  Commander cannot control K3s. Commander does not read VFO B. I have tried several baud rates and polling rates.

2. N1MM+ cannot discover radio at all.

Hard to imagine K3 I/O board failed. Has anyone experienced that? If it were Windows port failure, OS would tell me port failed.

In short I am totally stumped

Jim

Jim Denneny

What is history/reliability of KIO3B I/O board.  I am beginning to believe mine has suffered a partial / full  failure??

Jim K7EG

Ned Mountain WC4X

My KIO3B board has failed twice--both times due to close by lightning strikes.  Both failure modes showed different symptoms.  One was similar to yours--lack of control but other functions OK.  Elecraft support should be able to help diagnose and verify.

That module appears to be very fragile.

Ned
WC4X

Jim Denneny

Thanks Ned - reassuring

Jim

Jim Denneny

I have concluded my KI03B IO board has partially failed in my K3S.  The good news is I can nurse WSJT to communicate through DXLab Commander but, I no longer can connect with N1MM+

The bad news is zero inventory on replacement and a potential 90 day wait.  A power surge is a possible culprit in my failure.  Elecraft indicated this might be the last spare parts order for K3 parts.  I hope that is not the case.

Jim K7EG

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

K3 *PARTS* or K3 *BOARDS* ?  Better not be the end of parts!

There are a LOT of reports of failures of that board.  Much more than its RS232 predecessor.

73,
Drew K3PA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Ge out your RJ45 to DB9 cable (supplied with the K3S), configure the K3S
for RS-232 at 38,400 bps, and connect to a *real* serial port or USB to
serial adapter on your computer.

That should tell you if the USB section of the KIO3B is bad or whether
you have some other configuration issue.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-15 12:49 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
I have concluded my KI03B IO board has partially failed in my K3S.  The good news is I can nurse WSJT to communicate through DXLab Commander but, I no longer can connect with N1MM+
The bad news is zero inventory on replacement and a potential 90 day wait.  A power surge is a possible culprit in my failure.  Elecraft indicated this might be the last spare parts order for K3 parts.  I hope that is not the case.
Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Resolved.  RS232 Config item was set at 38400.  Wrong. Rolled RS232 to USB and all is well.  At age 86, items like this do not recall correctly.  A kind, smart Elecraft tech helped me test and find this.  On another happy note, he told me not to worry about parts inventory as Elecraft can repair most boards unless a catastrophic event occurs,  CASE CLOSED.

Jim K7EG

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Resolved. RS232 Config item was set at 38400. Wrong. Rolled RS232 to USB and all is well. At age 86, items like this do not recall correctly.

+ That's why directing the DXLab Launcher to populate a Workspace when everything is working correctly is so important. Known good settings can then be restored with a couple of mouse clicks.

A kind, smart Elecraft tech helped me test and find this. On another happy note, he told me not to worry about parts inventory as Elecraft can repair most boards unless a catastrophic event occurs, CASE CLOSED.

+ If the K3S "RS232 Config" menu offers 38400 as a choice, why is it wrong? The K3S manual notes that firmware upgrades are automatically conducted via the serial port at 38400.

+ Did you have Commander configured for a baud rate other than 38400?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Gordon LaPoint

I suspect that what he means is the radio was set to use the rs-232 port and not the usb port.
Gordon - n1mgo

On 6/15/2021 18:21 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

@ more AA6YQ comments below

I suspect that what he means is the radio was set to use the rs-232 port and not the usb port.

@ Thanks, Gordon, but how does that explain Jim's report that Commander could track his K3S's frequency but not its mode?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

[...]

https://www.avg.com

southdaleus

Joe, W4TV is exactly right.  I sent you a private email Jim, check your mail.  I am using a Startech adapter and it works FB got it on Amazon about $20.  I also ordered an optical isolator ($9) from Ebay which also works FB and isolates the RS232 from the computer and hopefully protects from spikes.  I prefer RS232 to USB adapter.  I wish they hadn't even put the USB in the rig.  My older K3 doesn't have USB and the RS232 was always reliable and ready.

Dale, K9VUJ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-06-16 12:26 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
@ Thanks, Gordon, but how does that explain Jim's report that Commander could track his K3S's frequency but not its mode?
The K3s uses a data multiplexer to switch between the RS-232 and
USB connections. I suspect there is some signal leakage through
the data mux and some portion of a poll/response leak through
while some (perhaps second/third command in a string) do not.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-16 12:26 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
@ more AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Hi Joe & Dave

Perhaps you missed my reply yesterday. I switched K3S from RS232 - 38400 to USB option and all is resolved.

Thanks, Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Correct Gordon.  Radio was set for RS232 at 38400. I switched to USB and problem is resolved

Jim K7EG

Bill Mader

I upgraded my K3 with the KIO3B and use the USB port with 100% success/reliability.  Adding USB to the K3 was a move forward along technology.  For those of us who had "original" K3's, I was pleased to do the upgrade.  That meant fewer cables and not having to use a PC sound card along with its adjustments.

Managing USB should not be a stumbling block, unless one is a computerphobe.  In the 21st century, technology, including computers, is an important and helpful element of Amateur Radio.

73, Bill, K8TE