Topics

K3EXREF questions for use after setup

HB

Hey Folks...
I just finished building the QRP-Labs ProgRock/Synth kit and their QLG1 GPS receiver to discipline it.  It works quite well.

I have it connected to the K3EXREF input on my K3s.  I followed the instructions and according to the instructions, my K3s is receiving a signal (by the flashing * while in the REF CAL menu).  In order to activate the input, I had to set the TECH MD to "on".  If I turn the TECH MD back to "off", the REF CAL menu goes away.  Is the K3EXREF still using the 10Mhz input from my kit or do I have to leave TECH MD  "on"?

If it works with the TECH MD set to "off", how do I know it's working?  Or do I just need to occassionally check by turning TECH MD "on" and go to the REF CAL menu?

The instructions aren't clear.

Thanks,
Hank
K4HYJ
K3s, P3, KX3

John Canfield

I have the K3EXREF kit but I haven't installed it yet, maybe this would provide some guidance? What level is your 10Mhz signal?

Max NG7M

Hi Hank, setting TECH MD to off won't impact any of the options/settings you see when TECH MD is on.  So you are good to go.  Your K3EXREF will still lock to your external 10mhz GPSDO source.  TECH MD off just hides the more advanced settings and nothing more.  Max NG7M

HB

The QRP-LABs progrock delivers square wave, 3.3V P-P.

Qrp-labs.com

I have the K3EXREF kit but I haven't installed it yet, maybe this would provide some guidance? What level is your 10Mhz signal?

HB

Max…

Thanks for your reply!  I thought so – just wanted to be sure!

Hank

K4HYJ