Topics

K3 power only 12W

Bob Seaquist

My (new to me) K3 100 is only putting out 12 watts; when I got it a week ago I am quite certain it was putting out 100 watts. The power supply is putting out a steady 12.6v.
Have I missed something?

Mike Flowers

There’s a config parameter about having the KPA3 installed.  I had an occasion when I had inadvertently turned it off.

Worth a check ...

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Aug 30, 2019, at 7:01 PM, seaquist.robe@... wrote:

My (new to me) K3 100 is only putting out 12 watts; when I got it a week ago I am quite certain it was putting out 100 watts. The power supply is putting out a steady 12.6v.
Have I missed something?

Mel Marcus

Had a similar  experience.  did you dial the power down. you can get 12W on the primary output. if the 100W amp is out then you will only get 12w

Mel
NE9A

There’s a config parameter about having the KPA3 installed.  I had an occasion when I had inadvertently turned it off.

Worth a check ...

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Aug 30, 2019, at 7:01 PM, seaquist.robe@... wrote:

My (new to me) K3 100 is only putting out 12 watts; when I got it a week ago I am quite certain it was putting out 100 watts. The power supply is putting out a steady 12.6v.
Have I missed something?

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Check the CONFIG menu and see that the KPA3 is set to NOR.

On 8/30/2019 9:01 PM, seaquist.robe@... wrote:
My (new to me) K3 100 is only putting out 12 watts; when I got it a week ago I am quite certain it was putting out 100 watts. The power supply is putting out a steady 12.6v.
Have I missed something?

Bob Seaquist

Thanks for the suggestions. The issue seems to stem from the serial cable connecting the radio to my laptop; it messed with settings including for the KPA.

So next question: I’m using a generic ($8) serial cable. Is Elecraft’s expensive cable better in some way?

Bob Seaquist

Rick Bates, NK7I

Is it a USB to serial cable (FTDI is strongly suggested, not Prolific or brand X) or a real serial cable with all the needed wires in play?

One can find FTDI based USB-Serial cables online that cost less, but one question that remains is "When you spend enough to get an Elecraft, why would you cheap out on the items to use it?"  You bought a quality radio, use quality interfacing for the same reason.

Rick nhc

On 8/31/2019 7:22 AM, Bob Seaquist wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The issue seems to stem from the serial cable connecting the radio to my laptop; it messed with settings including for the KPA.

So next question: I’m using a generic ($8) serial cable. Is Elecraft’s expensive cable better in some way?

Bob Seaquist

Ray Maxfield

Sometime called a” Shielded” Cable !

Ray

Is it a USB to serial cable (FTDI is strongly suggested, not Prolific or brand X) or a real serial cable with all the needed wires in play?

One can find FTDI based USB-Serial cables online that cost less, but one question that remains is "When you spend enough to get an Elecraft, why would you cheap out on the items to use it?"  You bought a quality radio, use quality interfacing for the same reason.

Rick nhc

On 8/31/2019 7:22 AM, Bob Seaquist wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. The issue seems to stem from the serial cable connecting the radio to my laptop; it messed with settings including for the KPA.

So next question: I’m using a generic ($8) serial cable. Is Elecraft’s expensive cable better in some way?

Bob Seaquist

Mel Marcus

why not just get the elecraft version and not worry about if it will work or not.

Mel
NE9A