Topics

K3 PI03 no audio out

Andy GD0TEP

Hi,

My K3 seems to have lost the audio out on the KI03 Line out port.

I’ve checked all the relative settings, and all appear to be ok.

Audio out the speaker is OK.

Anyone got any hints at what I might check next?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

GD0TEP

john ni0k

Stupid question... did you check the cable and interface that is plugged into the line out port?

-de John NI0K

Andy GD0TEP wrote on 9/30/2019 9:26 AM:

Hi,

My K3 seems to have lost the audio out on the KI03 Line out port.

I’ve checked all the relative settings, and all appear to be ok.

Audio out the speaker is OK.

Anyone got any hints at what I might check next?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

GD0TEP

Andy GD0TEP

No question is stupid in my mind…

The only way I found out that there is coming out of the ‘line out’ port is by trying everything else I could think of… different cable, different interface (microham3) The only common element is the radio. Or the line out port more pointedly.

As a short term simple fix I’ve directed the phones to the line out port and that seems to work ok, but it’s via the volume control…

I’ve looked at everything I can think of… settings in the radio and different cables, and I’m 99.9% certain that there is some sort of ‘issue’ with the normal settings for the line out port… but what?

73

Andy

GD0TEP

Stupid question... did you check the cable and interface that is plugged into the line out port?

-de John NI0K

Andy GD0TEP wrote on 9/30/2019 9:26 AM:

Hi,

My K3 seems to have lost the audio out on the KI03 Line out port.

I’ve checked all the relative settings, and all appear to be ok.

Audio out the speaker is OK.

Anyone got any hints at what I might check next?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

GD0TEP

Joe Subich, W4TV

I’ve looked at everything I can think of… settings in the radio and different cables, and I’m 99.9% certain that there is some sort of ‘issue’ with the normal settings for the line out port… but what?
What is the CONFIG:LIN OUT setting? I use "nor 010" with my microHAM
interfaces. If the level is below 010 there may appear to be no
output (level too low). Try cranking it up if necessary - move it
up by 005 at a time and see what happens.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

Stupid question... did you check the cable and interface that is plugged into the line out port?
-de John NI0K
Andy GD0TEP wrote on 9/30/2019 9:26 AM:
Hi,
My K3 seems to have lost the audio out on the KI03 Line out port.
I’ve checked all the relative settings, and all appear to be ok.
Audio out the speaker is OK.
Anyone got any hints at what I might check next?
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
GD0TEP

Andy GD0TEP

Hi Joe,

The CONFIG setting for LINE OUT was 10, but I've tried it all the way up to 100, and from what I see, I get weak noise out (not what the radio is hearing)

But again within CONFIG if I change LINE OUT to =PHONEs I get the radio audio out from the line out socket, but it is via the volume control on the radio, now that works just fine. But it isn't right.

I now suspect a fault on the KI03 board, yet another problem on my radio. ;-(

73
Andy
http://gd0tep.com

I’ve looked at everything I can think of… settings in the radio and
different cables, and I’m 99.9% certain that there is some sort of
> ‘issue’ with the normal settings for the line out port… but what?

What is the CONFIG:LIN OUT setting? I use "nor 010" with my microHAM
interfaces. If the level is below 010 there may appear to be no
output (level too low). Try cranking it up if necessary - move it
up by 005 at a time and see what happens.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

Stupid question... did you check the cable and interface that is plugged into the line out port?

-de John NI0K

Andy GD0TEP wrote on 9/30/2019 9:26 AM:

Hi,

My K3 seems to have lost the audio out on the KI03 Line out port.

I’ve checked all the relative settings, and all appear to be ok.

Audio out the speaker is OK.

Anyone got any hints at what I might check next?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

GD0TEP

Michael Pupeza

In my early K3, I found that the Line In and Line Out jacks do NOT have grounded sleeves, and are dependant on each plug in connection having the tip and sleeve connected to each wire used. The schematic shows this and I was surprised when I tried to simplify a  Digital Cable by not using each sleeve connection. Could this be your problem?    Mike VE3EQP .....>