K3 no RX or TX

Bill Carpenter

My K3 has developed an issue where there is no TX or RX at all.  Everything else works fine - display and all the controls.  This problem comes and goes with a mind of it own, works as usual then suddenly the problem occurs.  And then it may or may not recover to normal operation.  I have tried going to an earlier configuration and a firmware reload with no luck.   I'm thinking this is a component or connector issue but I'm no great tech.   Any ideas?
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502

Mike Flowers

Have you installed the ‘gold pin’ upgrade?   I returned my K3 to Elecraft for a similar issue, and this was the fix.

I am not certain, but I think this upgrade may be user-installable.

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Sep 8, 2022, at 11:30 AM, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:

My K3 has developed an issue where there is no TX or RX at all.  Everything else works fine - display and all the controls.  This problem comes and goes with a mind of it own, works as usual then suddenly the problem occurs.  And then it may or may not recover to normal operation.  I have tried going to an earlier configuration and a firmware reload with no luck.   I'm thinking this is a component or connector issue but I'm no great tech.   Any ideas?
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502

Bill Carpenter

Hi Mike,

Yes, I installed the gold pin upgrade several years ago.
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502

Wes Stewart

Does this occur on all bands?  If not, that is a clue.  I've seen erratic trimmer caps in some of the BPFs.

Being common to RX and TX reduces the places to look.  First look at the TMP connectors.  They sometimes corrode.  See: https://groups.io/g/Elecraft-K3/album?id=37256

This can occur in the most benign environments.  I'm in an air-conditioned house in the Sonoran Desert and this happened to mine.

Keep hunting,

Wes

Bill Carpenter

Hi Wes,

All bands are affected.  Thanks for the info!
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502

KE8G

Bill,
Do you have the 100 watt version?  Try turning the power output to below 12 watts and see if that helps.  If that gives you TX & RX, you will probably need to send it in for repairs.  This has happened to me on both a K3 and K3s.

73 de Jim - KE8G

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 07:34 Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:
Hi Wes,

All bands are affected.  Thanks for the info!
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502

Bill Carpenter

I took the top cover off and "exercised" all  the connectors I could get to and the rig is working fine now.  I built this rig 14 years ago and I think I ill take it apart and rebuild it.  Gives me a chance to clean up connections and will be fun to boot.
--
73, Bill NZ0T
K3 S/N 1502