K3 & N1MM+

KE1F Lou

I am running a updated K3 with P3/VGA and I love it.

In as much as I know that the weakest part of my station is the operator which can't be updated (85) so I am looking for hardware improvement. :)

Is there any benefit to run N1MM+'s "Spectrum display" with the logging program.

73, Lou KE1F

Rick Tavan

Yes, N1MM Spectrum Display is a very useful tool. It's not as pretty or tunable as the P3 but it's smarter, displaying spots and allowing click to QSY. You can click a call sign, a "handle," or anywhere. The "handles" are red squares below spectrum peaks that QSY you to zero-beat. You can size and position SD anywhere to fit your window layout (large or dual monitors very helpful). SD can also be set up to operate remotely by running a stripped-down instance of N1MM at the radio site that relays spectrum and waterfall to the control site where the logging instance of N1MM runs. The SD window at the control site is identical to what it would be locally. This is all way beyond what you can do with a P3 (although I think some people did engineer a way to relay P3SVGA data. Don't know much about that.)

There are many ways to set up N1MM SD, using I/Q data from some few transceiver types or a RX ANT loop or IF output feeding an external SDR. I use an Airspy HF+ in the RX ANT loop which works very well for me. YMMV.

73,

/Rick N6XI

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

KE1F Lou

Thank you for your input.

I have a DX Patrol SDR receiver, perhaps I can use it with my K3 IF out.

I will try it after the IARU contest.

73, Lou KE1F

On 7/10/2021 14:40, Rick Tavan wrote:
[...]

Larry

I use the SDR-Play here using the Console option.  I found that using the IF out on the K# caused signals to be reversed.  USB came out as LSB VS.

Some other peculiarities as well.  I think using this program anyway is better having it connected directly to the antenna in use via the BNC jacks on the back where one would insert a preamp.  At least this way signals and the freq display are all relative to what and where the K3 is and what it's seeing.

Sorry i'm having a mental block this morning and can't properly name the BNC jacks to use and looking behind the radio is not the easiest.  Happening more and more as time goes on.

Larry W0OGH

On 7/10/2021 9:09 AM, KE1F Lou wrote:

[...]

Ray Maxfield

Larry………. I understand that…….

Age is 75, don’t know how I will be at 76 ????

Ray WA6VAB  K3