K3 Memory Editor (PC application): looking for testers

Hi all,

Our PC software engineer, Dick (K6KR--not to be confused with N6KR :) has completed the first release of the K3 Frequency Memory Editor. It is Windows-only at present, but we hope to provide Mac and Linux versions in the future.

This application helps you maintain your K3's frequency memories using a spreadsheet-like editor. It handles all regular memories (00-99) and, optionally, per-band quick-memories (M1-M4 for each band). Once you've sent the data to the K3, you can recall memories using either the M>V switch on the K3's front panel, or the editor's "QSY" buttons. You can even save sets of memories in PC files and share them with other K3 users. This might be useful for setting up multiple K3s for a contest, etc.

At present the spreadsheet allows display/edit of VFO A and B frequencies and modes, repeater offsets and tones, the 5-character memory label, and a larger description field. Unused (blank) memories can be hidden or displayed. We'll add more data fields in future releases, along with cut/paste capability.

If you're interested in testing this early release of the memory editor, please email me directly (n6kr at elecraft dot com). To use it, you'll also need to install the latest field-test K3 firmware, which I'll send you, along with full instructions and release notes.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Garry Rowberry <biggaz67@...>

Hi Wayne,

Count me in, I would like to test the memory software

Regards

Garry
M0TXD

WO8J <j_oates@...>

Hi Wayne,

I would like to bwe a beta tester. It sounds like just what I am looking for.

73,

Joe Oates - WO8J

--- In Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Burdick <n6kr@...> wrote:

[...]

John AC4CA

Arguably the worst piece of software I've encountered since I wrote my own.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Are you sure you didn't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back?    That must be painful.

The memory editor works OK for me.

On 4/29/2021 3:06 PM, John AC4CA wrote:
Arguably the worst piece of software I've encountered since I wrote my own.

John/K4WJ

Bob, your response suggests you misread what John wrote or else I did. I think John knocked his own software as well as the memory editor.
De John/K4WJ

John/K4WJ

On Apr 29, 2021, at 5:30 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

Are you sure you didn't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back?    That must be painful.

The memory editor works OK for me.

On 4/29/2021 3:06 PM, John AC4CA wrote:
Arguably the worst piece of software I've encountered since I wrote my own.

Greg Tomerlin - K4KO

Ha! Very funny, John! For me it's Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking v.13 that holds that distinction. It tries to choose the wrong word at every turn. And it edits AFTER I proofread what I have written. It frightens me to think doctors use this software.

I too dabbled with coding 40 years ago, but failed the course when for the final my program printed "Hellno World!"

Greg  K4KO

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM John AC4CA <john@...> wrote:
Arguably the worst piece of software I've encountered since I wrote my own.

Greg Tomerlin - K4KO

John/K4WJ,

I read it as you did, and got a chuckle from it.

By the way, I miss hearing you and K6XK in the mornings. Have you changed frequencies?

Greg  K4KO

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:52 PM John/K4WJ <k4wj.john@...> wrote:
Bob, your response suggests you misread what John wrote or else I did. I think John knocked his own software as well as the memory editor.
De John/K4WJ

John/K4WJ

On Apr 29, 2021, at 5:30 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

Are you sure you didn't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back?    That must be painful.

The memory editor works OK for me.

On 4/29/2021 3:06 PM, John AC4CA wrote:
Arguably the worst piece of software I've encountered since I wrote my own.

John/K4WJ

🙂 Since I put up an 80 meter vertical, Roy and I may meet on 3.522 before sunrise. Depending on QRN, we may go directly to our 40 meter frequency, which is 7.020.32   40 is a lot quieter than 80 as you probably aware of.

We use 80 before sunrise so that Tom, W7XP, and Roy can hear each other with out having to copy each other via back scatter.

I’m glad you understood John’s message like I did. I have made the same error Bob made and am glad when some points out their understanding of the message. 😇

John/K4WJ