Topics

K3 Memories not keeping wide Bandwidth for FT8 band/mode changes

Mark W2OR

Subject: K3 Memories not keeping wide receiver Bandwidth for FT8 band/mode changes

There's probably an easy way to set up a K3's memory to hold the wide receiver bandwidth of 3000-Hz for FT8 frequency memories, and keep that wider bandwidth in memory to survive repeated band changes and mode changes, but I have yet to find the procedure for that.  Right now, most every time I return to a preset FT8 memory channel - - I use a M1>M4 memory channel on each band for FT8 freqs/mode - - I have to widen the bandwidth manually, almost every time.  If there's a work-around for this, please let us know.  Thanks.

Yes, the roofing filters here include a 6.0-kHz filter which is set active for most all modes, including data mode.  Likewise the 2.8 roofing filter.

 // Mark

Rick Bates, NK7I

You can use the WSJT-X program itself to change bands and the mode to DATA using the drop down on the left side, middle window where it displays the band in use (not the frequency).

Then leave the DATA mode as wide as you prefer, it'll remember, per band.

It doesn't get much simpler.

73,
Rick NK7I

On 11/26/2019 2:32 PM, Mark W2OR via Groups.Io wrote:

There's probably an easy way to set up a K3's memory to hold the wide receiver bandwidth of 3000-Hz for FT8 frequency memories, and keep that wider bandwidth in memory to survive repeated band changes and mode changes, but I have yet to find the procedure for that.  Right now, most every time I return to a preset FT8 memory channel - - I use a M1>M4 memory channel on each band for FT8 freqs/mode - - I have to widen the bandwidth manually, almost every time.  If there's a work-around for this, please let us know.  Thanks.

Yes, the roofing filters here include a 6.0-kHz filter which is set active for most all modes, including data mode.  Likewise the 2.8 roofing filter.

 // Mark

Mark W2OR

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 05:43 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
 << "It doesn't get much simpler." >>

And from Mark:
Yes, of course, Rick.  But you missed the whole point of the original question, which doesn't get much clearer.
73 de Mark
..  w2or ..

Rick Bates, NK7I

Mark,

What was clear is that you asked if bandwidth storage could be done within the K3 memory which is limited to mode and frequency (VFO B, offset, and PL tones in some uses).  That was mode, not bandwidth.  The short answer; you can't store bandwidth as a memory function.  The closest you can come to this is to leave the bandwidth, per mode, per band, as you prefer.  The K3 will maintain that without using the memory function.

If you want to experiment with this, there is/was a K3 memory editor but I don't know if that is still available or not, it's been a long time since I used it (check the Elecraft third party software page).  I rarely use the frequency memory feature (in any radios except V/UHF) but click on DX spots or use the FT8 program.  The few that I do use are for local nets or repeaters.

If you can't find the memory editor, the simplest workaround to meet your need is what I suggested since you limited the discussion to FT8, requiring wide bandwidth.  It's also much faster than spinning through the K3 memories (the data mode can be set there too).  Other radio control software (HRD is an example) can also be of use for memory, just not within the K3 memory.

If you choose to utilize the WSJT-X software to achieve your goal, it will do exactly what you want; except that it's not a K3 memory.  That software contains both the FT8 frequencies and the ability to set the K3 to that frequency AND the data mode with one click.  The data mode will default to however you left it at the last time you were on the band, including full width available.

If your data use is similar to what I do, the FT8 program is sufficient to band hop, no K3 memory is needed.  I normally use DATA A mode, then leave it wide except when I choose FSK mode.  The only caveat there is to remember to change back to DATA A and wide when done.

73 es GL,
Rick NK7i

"

On 11/26/2019 9:25 PM, Mark W2OR via Groups.Io wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 05:43 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
 << "It doesn't get much simpler." >>

And from Mark:
Yes, of course, Rick.  But you missed the whole point of the original question, which doesn't get much clearer.
73 de Mark
..  w2or ..

David Perry

I get around this problem with macros that are saved to the PF1 key.  Someone a few years ago came up with a way to chain three macros together.  I used that technique to toggle between a low power setting (10 watts) and then a mode and bandwidth setting for data modes and a mode and bandwidth setting for RTTY.  I also have four frequencies saved for each band using the M1 - M4 buttons.  For example, if I want to switch from CW to FT8, I first do the >V button, then the M3 button to change to the FT8 frequency for that band and then I tap the PF1 key one, two or three times to until it toggles to the Data bandwidth setting.  Works great.  If someone would like to try this, they can email me offline and I will send them the macros.  The fastest way to do it, however, is to change the frequency using WSJT-X.  But I use the macro often when I click on a spot and the K3 changes to the correct frequency, but is not in the right mode.  In that situation, tapping the PF1 key gets me into the data mode with the correct bandwidth very quickly.

73,

Dave, N4QS

Mark W2OR

Thank you for the replies, Dave and Rick ... all good, and varied, approaches to the same end, which will surely benefit our faithful readers here.

I have asked an Elecraft engineer to offer suggestions.  Stay tuned.   Have also asked him to comment the effects (and ill-effects) of altering the K3 roofing filter configuration setting, via K3 Utilities, from 2.8 to 3.0 kHz just for the data modes.  Stay tuned.

This is an interim reply, and just wanted to pass along Thanksgiving Day greetings to you both,

// Mark
.. w2or ..

Bill Mader <billamader@...>

The Elecraft (not third party) Frequency Memory Editor works for the K3, K3S, and KX3.  It is very handy for various reasons and allows editing all frequency memories.  There are many comments in the Elecraft Nabble on-line archive on its use.

There is also a program (third party; no longer supported) called K3_EZ.  It allows memory editing and much, much more.  You can find the most recent version at:

http://www.na6m.com/EZ-K3/K3_EZ2007.zip
--
73, Bill Mader, K8TE
K-Line, KX3, KX1, K2, Awaiting K4 Delivery

Brian K0DTJ

FYI, the Elecraft Memory Editor works FB for the KX2 as well.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

Keith_WE6R

Set up the band/mode/width etc. Then cycle power with the front switch, NOT pulling DC.
It should come on the way you left it.
I use my K-POD and set a button to TAP=Normalize and Long-press = full wide. And another does ESSB.
Keith WE6R

Keith_WE6R

Yes, you can (setup) the filter for a different number. That will change the switchpoint. Just be reasonable. Setting the 2.8 for 3.0 should be fine. Experiment away, you can't hurt anything.
Keith WE6R

Mark W2OR

Thank you Keith, Brian, and Bill.  And thanks again to Dave and Rick.

Regarding the original post here and the original question :
It has been suggested to try out one of the companion apps in DXLabSuites, a CAT app entitled DX Commander.  I've done so, and Commander works perfectly for the station needs here.  This CAT app has a variety of filter and mode options that will allow the retention of K3 mode bandwidths when changing bands, or frequencies, or when changing K3 memories, M1-M4, etc.  This includes one-button band changes or one-button mode changes on the K3 units here, and the band buttons on both of Elecraft's KPA amps.

Regarding the previous post (#31664) :
Using Commander's filter tab settings obviates any need to mess with K3 Utility to widen the roofing filter bandwidths, for the stated purpose described in the previous post.

Thank you.  Am a Happy Camper.  It's now time for a strong cup of Thanksgiving eggnog after all the fiddling here ... you five are welcome to swing by and help finish up the bottle.  Mucho thanks for the five suggestions made previously, all thoughtful and worthwhile.

73, Mark
 .. w2or ..

Jim AC0E

Have just yesterday exchanged emails with Jeffrey Coleman, N2BC, the new holder of N2BC.
Jeffrey is the son of Bill Coleman,
ex-N2BC (SK)...
He's a very new amateur and I have encouraged to join this group...

Happy Holidays to everyone here...

"May the Flux be with you"

73

Jim AC0E

joe gay

Mark,
I use the 'Norm' & 'I II' settings for saving mode filter settings _ see page 26 of K3 owners manual for explanation. Once you set for 'Data A' it will stay that wat in FT-8 band changes.
Joe