K3 / KXV3A / PR6 / SteppIR 3L - 6M Operation

Mike Flowers

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a used PR6 6-Meter preamp in anticipation of the upcoming 6M summer season.

My K3 has the KXV3A Interface option installed.  I have a K-Line station; K3,P3,KAT500,KPA500.

My 6M antenna is my SteppIR 3L.

I've downloaded the PR6 and KXV3A manuals, and I'm reading the Elecraft K3 Owners manual and Fred Cadys K3 manual to understand the signal path for the proper use of the PR6 preamp.   This is the first time I've needed to use the RX ANT feature on the K3, and there are a lot of ways to configure the signal path in the K3, I've discovered.

My 6M operation is pretty simple.  The SteppIR gives me a 3L yagi on 6M.  I have the KAT500 configured to recognize the SteppIR as a resonant 6M antenna on ANT1 and the KPA500 gives me a full 500W if I need it.

I’m looking for guidance for using the PR6 in this configuration, and I will appreciate any suggestions and cautions about how to effectively use the PR6 for my 6M operation.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ken K6MR

If you don’t use the RX ANT In/Out for anything else, all you need to do is connect K3 Rx Ant out -> P6 In, and K3 Rx Ant In -> PR6 Out.  You’ll need +12V to the Red(+), Black(-).  If the P2 jumper on the inside has been removed, you’ll need to connect the Control (Wht) wire to ground.  If the jumper is still there, you can leave the white wire disconnected.  If the P2 jumper has been removed, the Control wire can be connected to the ACC connector DIGOUT1 signal, and you can configure the radio to have the amp to turn on only on 6 meters.  This allows normal use of the bypass jacks on the PR6 for other bands.

When you are on 6 meters, select Rx Ant  and you are good to go.  If you think you don’t need the preamp, just turn Rx Ant off.

Ken K6MR

[...]

Thanks, Ken!  I appreciate this information.

>>> This allows normal use of the bypass jacks on the PR6 for other bands.

The ‘bypass connections’ were what had confused me about the PR6.