K3 + HDSDR + RSP1A Help please

K0ATV / Derek

Folks, I just picked up a used K3 and am very very excited about this radio. One of my wants is to utilize the IF out to my RSP1A and into an SDR program. I am not really particular to any SDR program if someone has info doing this with another. There is little and conflicting information about this scenario via google search. It does seem that others have done it, but the instructions given have some holes in them. I can get HDSDR control via Omni Rig working, but cannot for the life of me get viable spectrum data on the waterfall. I am apparently doing something wrong somewhere. If you have experience with this scenario please chime in, I could really use some help!

Derek / K0ATV

David Erickson - AB0R

On 5/8/2022 4:39 PM, K0ATV / Derek wrote:
Folks, I just picked up a used K3 and am very very excited about this radio. One of my wants is to utilize the IF out to my RSP1A and into an SDR program. I am not really particular to any SDR program if someone has info doing this with another. There is little and conflicting information about this scenario via google search. It does seem that others have done it, but the instructions given have some holes in them. I can get HDSDR control via Omni Rig working, but cannot for the life of me get viable spectrum data on the waterfall. I am apparently doing something wrong somewhere. If you have experience with this scenario please chime in, I could really use some help!
Derek / K0ATV
Derek,

You are very close to having it sorted out.

It works FB as you say, HDSDR, OmniRig, and RSP(duo in my case)

The RSPduo can read the IF output directly and there was no need to configure anything beyond what you have already said.

DO make sure you have installed the RSP "EXTIO_rsp***" package available from their website. That is required for HDSDR to talk to the RSP(duo).

Good luck, you will like it.

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

Wes Stewart

Personally I used an SDR-IQ and SpectraVue software on my K3(S)s.  But you don't have an SDR-IQ so you might look here: https://www.sdr-radio.com/external-radio

I have not tried this and find SDR-Console (and every other SDR software, except for SpectraVue) to be unnecessarily complicated.  I've only tried it to run my Perseus and can't get my head around it.  Too much like a video game.  YMMV.

K0ATV / Derek

It would help me greatly if you (or anyone with a similar setup) could either post or reach out to me directly (dbrown719@...) with your "SDR device (f8)" settings, and any of the "options (f7)" & any GUI slider settings you have in HDSDR. I am past getting radio to talk to hdsdr & RSP1A to hdsdr. Already have the proper EXTIO as requested by HDSDR for my RSP1A (those two are happy). My spectrum display shows nothing useful. With the RSP1A disconnected from my K3 there is absolutely nothing so it seems like a signal interpretation / settings issue. The IF out is giving it "something". I also ensured my KXV3 is "on" in the config menu. It is by no means plug & play on this end. 😂

Any help is appreciated.

Derek / K0ATV

On 5/8/2022 5:46 PM, K0ATV / Derek wrote:
It would help me greatly if you (or anyone with a similar setup) could either post or reachout to me directly (dbrown719@...) with your "SDR device (f8)" settings, and any of the "options (f7)" & any GUI slider settings you have in HDSDR. I am past getting radio to talk to hdsdr & RSP1A to hdsdr. Already have the proper EXTIO as requested by HDSDR for my RSP1A (those two are happy). My spectrum display shows nothing useful. With the RSP1A disconnected from my K3 there is absolutely nothing so it seems like a signal interpretation / settings issue. The IF out is giving it "something". I also ensured my KXV3 is "on" in the config menu. It is by no means plug & play on this end. 😂
Any help is appreciated.
Derek / K0ATV
Derek,

After you installed the EXTIO software, you were instructed to copy the EXTIO_rsp*.dll into the HDSDR directory.

IF you did that, you should get the SDRplay control panel when you click on SDR-device[F8].

Is that the case?

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

K0ATV / Derek

Yes that was done initially. I get the RSP1A window when I click on device (which has the gain control, offset, etc). HDSDR is friends with the RSP1A.

Thanks!

Derek / K0ATV

Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
[...]
Ok,

That is good. Now, if you click "options, then RF front end configuration" you will get the option to tell it to use the IF signal from the SDR controlled by Omni-rig.

That should get you there.

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

Chris VE3NRT

I acquired an RSP-DX a couple of days ago and have it working with my K3. Prior to that I've run a Softrock-IF into HDSDR from my IF port and it worked fine. There is an output level modification for older K3 models but I expect you should see something on the display even without it. The Softrock IF wasn't great with HDSDR because there was no tuning. I'd set the frequency to 0 and could it was useful for tuning, but not for rig control except with Omnirig, which worked well but got into a complex mix of virtual com ports when using other programs that didn't support it, like N1MM and DXLab.

Recently I found waterfallbandmap, and this worked nicely and was good for bidirectional control, although changing the filter settings moves the IF frequency slightly causing some inaccuracies in the frequency control. I doubt that can be fixed easily with either the RSP or the Softrock, although I guess the P3 knows how to do it - I've never used one. The IF frequency was about 8.215 MHz, I believe.

After reading about the RSP-DX, I decided to buy one before the prices went up. It will work with the IF, but also with the RX in/out which is on the same I/O board of the K3. Using the RX antenna in/out solves the IF-shift problem. The RX out is connected to a T adaptor which splits the signal between the RSP and the RX in. Enabling the RX antenna pushing the received signal through this cable so that both the K3 and the RSP can receive the signal. The ExtIO DLL tracks it (almost) perfectly. It will be perfect once I get around to calibrating the RSP or setting up a external frequency reference to both the K3 and the RSP. I'd go so far to recommend this setup instead of IF unless you have a specific reason for preferring the IF route (I'd like to know it, as maybe I'm missing something). I have an extra cable and antenna port on the RSP so I might try the IF route as well and get a good comparison.

There's no IF offset to worry about in this case, no issues with I/Q reversal when going to 6 metres, and back again when using the 2 metre transverter. It was simple and easy.

I haven't tried it with HDSDR yet. I've been using it with both N1MM and DXLab with Waterfallbandmap, but I will give it a try today if I have time, or over the next few days if I don't.  With waterfallbandmap I needed to reduce the frequency range to the minimum (200kHz), increase the number of FFT buckets to the maximum, adjust the contrast and zoom in to get a good looking display with the skinny CW signals. With the default number of FFT buckets the signals showed up as blocks instead of dots & lines.

I'm looking forward to trying HDSDR. The RSP is a very capable unit. I'm sorry this is skirting around your question, but I'm hoping it might be helpful.

73,
Chris VE3NRT

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

I found the easiest and best way for me was to use Win4K3 which, in addition to providing excellent K3 rig control, also integrates the RSP1A into a panadapter display with full point and click tuning. If you have installed SDRUno then the drivers are installed and there's nothing else to install. There is a menu pick for the RSP1A and a section of the doc has clear directions. It's much easier to use the RSP1A than an LP-Pan/audio adapter since you don't have to balance the IQ or set an offset.

   Bob   KD8CGH

K0ATV / Derek

I got it folks. After Trying the Win4K3 and getting the same result figured it wasn't a software issue. I found a bad bnc fitting on my cable. Now I have HDSDR and Win4K3 up and running. Thank you all who chimed in.

Derek / K0ATV