K3 for POTA

Vic Owen - KB7GL

Since moving to an FTdx101MP as my primary shack rig, I had considered selling my K3 and using my KX3 for POTA. With the mediocre Cycle-25 action, QRP has proven to be marginal for reliable CW and very challenging for SSB. So, I've decided to use the K3 for POTA, with a 20A Bioenno LiFePO battery. The K3 is loaded with most of the available goodies and is fairly light and easy to transport in an Apache case. Not gonna take it on any SOTA trips, but it will become my main POTA rig. Just now getting into POTA as an activator, using a PackTenna EFHW, and I'm looking forward to see how it performs in the field.
--
Vic - KB7GL

m0mcy1949@...

Vic, how long would you expect to be able to run the K3 on that battery and at what output please, I have a k3 with the second receiver and have been thinking of using it /p myself.
73 De Mike M0MCY

Tim Cotton

I've run my K3S at full tilt on a POTA activation for about 5 hours on CW using a 40AH Bioenno battery with no problems.  Don't know how much longer it might have been good for.  I think a 20AH battery would get you at least 2 or 3 hours.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:10 AM <m0mcy1949@...> wrote:
Vic, how long would you expect to be able to run the K3 on that battery and at what output please, I have a k3 with the second receiver and have been thinking of using it /p myself.
73 De Mike M0MCY

Vic Owen - KB7GL

Mike —
Mike, K8MRD, has run his FT-891 for several hours on SSB with the 20A…it draws about the same current as the K3 in transmit. My one experience with the K3/20A combo was operating for about 3 hours. The battery was only down about 1/2 V. I’m guessing I should get several hours out of a charge. I’ll pay closer attention to my in-line meter next time to see the total current used.
--
Vic - KB7GL

Bill Maddock

I’ve used a 100 amp hour battery for about 12 hours on Field day without any issues and charged it back up when I got home - no problem typically dropped to 12.2 volts at end. I would typically make around 400 cw contacts in that time at 100 watts!

73 de Bill WW5M

This year I have 3 deep cycle batteries I will use for FD. Radio , inverter / power supply and laptop will run on it.

On Friday, June 11, 2021, 8:47 AM, Vic Owen - KB7GL <kb7gl@...> wrote:

Mike —
Mike, K8MRD, has run his FT-891 for several hours on SSB with the 20A…it draws about the same current as the K3 in transmit. My one experience with the K3/20A combo was operating for about 3 hours. The battery was only down about 1/2 V. I’m guessing I should get several hours out of a charge. I’ll pay closer attention to my in-line meter next time to see the total current used.
--
Vic - KB7GL

Jim Brown

N6KR, Chief Engineer at Elecraft, started out designing miniature rigs for backpacking. His design concept for those rigs, to be run on battery, minimizes battery drain, and the primary way to do that without affecting power output is to minimize battery drain on RECEIVE. The K3 pulls about 1A on receive; their KX3, a QRP rig, about 150 mA. That has a profound effect on battery life. I suspect that the KX2, a stripped down version without 160 and 6M, is similar. The KX3 pairs with an outboard 100W amp, and it can be turned on and off to minimize battery drain.

You've gotta be crazy to choose any of the JA radios for battery operation.

73, Jim K9YC

On 6/11/2021 6:47 AM, Vic Owen - KB7GL wrote:
Mike, K8MRD, has run his FT-891 for several hours on SSB with the 20A…it draws about the same current as the K3 in transmit.

Greg Mitchell

The problem is that the kxpa100 idle drain negates much if not all the power savings of the kx3.

On 6/11/2021 12:28 PM, Greg Mitchell wrote:
The problem is that the kxpa100 idle drain negates much if not all the power savings of the kx3.
Not if it's turned off when not in use.

73, Jim K9YC

K9MA

I've used both the KX2/KXPA100 and K3 for portable operation. I don't think there is much difference in power consumption, but the K3 is a lot easier to use, has a better receiver, doesn't require connecting a mass of cables to set up, and weighs only slightly more. The only reason I haven't used the K3 for portable operation is that it's my primary rig, and I don't want to risk damage due to vibration.

73,
Scott K9MA

On 6/11/2021 2:28 PM, Greg Mitchell wrote:
The problem is that the kxpa100 idle drain negates much if not all the power savings of the kx3.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 13:36 Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:
N6KR, Chief Engineer at Elecraft, started out designing miniature rigs
for backpacking. His design concept for those rigs, to be run on
battery, minimizes battery drain, and the primary way to do that without
affecting power output is to minimize battery drain on RECEIVE. The K3
pulls about 1A on receive; their KX3, a QRP rig, about 150 mA. That has
a profound effect on battery life. I suspect that the KX2, a stripped
down version without 160 and 6M, is similar. The KX3 pairs with an
outboard 100W amp, and it can be turned on and off to minimize battery
drain.

You've gotta be crazy to choose any of the JA radios for battery operation.

73, Jim K9YC

On 6/11/2021 6:47 AM, Vic Owen - KB7GL wrote:
> Mike, K8MRD, has run his FT-891 for several hours on SSB with the 20A…it
> draws about the same current as the K3 in transmit.

--
Scott  K9MA

k9ma@...

Vic Owen - KB7GL

Scott —

I agree…the K3 was my primary rig until I got the FTdx101MP. I considered getting the 100W amp for my KX3, but that baby is pricey and it still wouldn’t be as good as the K3. Size and weight difference would be minimal between the K3 and the combo. This gives me a way to keep the K3 on “active duty”…I just won’t be humping it up any mountains for SOTA!
--
Vic - KB7GL

mikerodgerske5gbc

Does anyone ragchew anymore on hf?

One day every few clicks of the VFO it was pota.
Pota Sota FT8 5/9next.

Of course ft8 can be a indicator of band propogation to somewhere but my buddy got France on ft8 with his wire on the ground so there’s that.

Certainly not what I got into the hobby for. Oh well. I’m sort of wondering why I just bought another radio.

Well I like them since I got hooked as a teenager in 1975.

Don’t take it personally, just a view from my side of the fence.

73
Mike R
KE5GBC

7!
Absolutely Awesome

On Jun 12, 2021, at 9:14 AM, Vic Owen - KB7GL <kb7gl@...> wrote:

Scott —

I agree…the K3 was my primary rig until I got the FTdx101MP. I considered getting the 100W amp for my KX3, but that baby is pricey and it still wouldn’t be as good as the K3. Size and weight difference would be minimal between the K3 and the combo. This gives me a way to keep the K3 on “active duty”…I just won’t be humping it up any mountains for SOTA!
--
Vic - KB7GL

john ni0k

Ragchew every day on 75, for hours!

-de John NI0K in rural Debs, MN USA
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K

mikerodgerske5gbc via groups.io wrote on 6/12/2021 9:52 AM:

[...]

Larry

Today starts the ARRL VHF contest.  Does anyone use CW or SSb on 6 any more?   Days of listening with not a signal heard although 50313 is busy with FT8 sigs.

My K3 likes to operate CW.

Comon guys, lets get the fists restored.

Larry W0OGH

On 6/12/2021 7:52 AM, mikerodgerske5gbc via groups.io wrote:
[...]

You would have to be a serous masochist to lug a K3 and the battery very far on your back or bike. I just use the KX2 barefoot for that sort of thing.

73,
Scott K9MA

On 6/12/2021 9:14 AM, Vic Owen - KB7GL wrote:
Scott —

I agree…the K3 was my primary rig until I got the FTdx101MP. I considered getting the 100W amp for my KX3, but that baby is pricey and it still wouldn’t be as good as the K3. Size and weight difference would be minimal between the K3 and the combo. This gives me a way to keep the K3 on “active duty”…I just won’t be humping it up any mountains for SOTA!
--
Vic - KB7GL

--
Scott  K9MA

k9ma@...

Sandor wetsel

Larry I have had long QSO's this week with friends in EM81 and made a bunch of contacts on 6 this week on phone from EM12. Wednesday I talked with N4GCD and AE4OY for over an hour (EM12-EM81) everybody running 100 watts those 2 were running eggbeaters. I refuse to use FT8.
Sandor KG4FET

GOD SAVE OUR NATION!

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM, Larry via groups.io
<telegrapher@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary K9GS

Call CQ

73,

Gary K9GS

[...]

I have done so up and down the CW portion of the band.  Years back, 6-7 or so when i lived in the Phoenix area i would work 260+ station on CW on the contest weekend on 6 M.  Last year there were none.  the CW portion of the band has dried up.  Computer control has taken over with FT8 etc.

So far today there is nothing going on on 6.  Perhaps propagation will change.

Larry W0OGH

On 6/12/2021 9:29 AM, Gary K9GS wrote:
Call CQ

73,

Gary K9GS

[...]

Lets hope propagation changes as so far today it is a dead band.  Couple of days ago Europe was in to the SW part of the country on FT8.  CW, nada, i know cause i was tuning the low (50.08 to 50.085) where they typically hang out.  Nada.

Larry W0OGH

On 6/12/2021 9:03 AM, Sandor wetsel wrote:
[...]

Sad but FT8 has destroyed the other modes on 6.

73,

Gary K9GS

[...]

Charlie T, k3ICH

I found FT-8 about as exiting as watching paint dry.

When is the ARRL going to start issuing awards to the computers since that’s who makes the contacts.

73, Charlie k3ICH