Topics

K3 failed to load firmware

Chris Cox, N0UK

Just received an old K3 today.

It was at firmware level 5.62 so I decided to bring it up to current level (5.67).

The K3 is connected to my PC or Mac via a Microham microKEYER II’s RS-232c port.

It taking through the virtual router on a specific COM port.

The firmware upload failed, with a message on the PC that said it did not see the initial “D”.

Following googled instructions to remove power from the K3 for at least 30 seconds and then rerun the upload, I am getting nowhere.

When I re-apply power and then press the Power button, the radio immediately enters the “MCU LD” mode, with the TX LED blinking, that eventually stops with the yellow ^f LED on instead.

It seems that the PC is now unable to see any K3 serial communications and will not enable the “Send all firmware to the K3 button”. Which I guess I ned to do to restart the upload.

I do have a separate RS232 to USB adapter, although I need to find a cable that will actually allow me to physically plug it into the K3.

What to try next?

HELP!

Chris Cox, N0UK
@n0uk

Chris Cox, N0UK

Nevermind - heart attack averted!

The secret was to use the direct RS232c cable and not try managing get firmware via the micro KEYER II’s serial router.

Whew!
Chris Cox, N0UK
@n0uk

On Jul 23, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <@n0uk> wrote:

[...]

Ed Pflueger

Good move. HI..

Ed.. AB4IQ

[...]

Jim AC0E

Get the microham out of the loop.. I use a simple db9 switch box to switch the microham out of the circuit and allow pc to talk directly to my K3..
73
Jim, AC0E

Bart Campbell

<< I use a simple db9 switch box to switch the microham out of the circuit and allow pc to talk directly to my K3 >>

Jim,

I like this idea.  What brand switch do you use?

Bart, NS4X