Topics

K3 failed firmware update

McClain Richard

I borrowed an old K3 for Field Day. All was hooked up and working well. Then I checked the K3 firmware and it was dated 2014.

So, I downloaded the K3 Utility and followed instructions (I think) on Elecraft web site to download the latest firmware.

Oops! Wish I hadn't done that. Now I have a dead K3 that has flashing red LED for TX indicator. And the display is mostly dark with "MCU LD" only on display.

Have removed power several times, waited, at tried to restart, but same thing.

How do I get the firmware loaded?

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Lee Young

Are you using the latest K3 firmware and K3 utility?

The latest K3 firmware:

01-22-2019

MCU-5.67

DSP-2.88

FPF-1.26

K3 Utility

Windows - 1.20.1.15

Mac - 1.19.9.6

Linux - 1.19.9.6

--
Lee Young, K5LY
FOC #2062, CW Ops #1124, FISTS #15371, SKCC #7448

CW Forever!

McClain Richard

Yes, to all the software version numbers.

The PC is Windows 7.Professional.
Maybe I should try another PC with Windows 10. Thanks for the thought.

{later}

The download worked perfectly using a Windows 10 machine. I'm back on the air. Whooo-Hooo!

mikerodgerske5gbc

Well, I hope who you borrowed it from is still friends. I wouldn't be.

Your probably using a laptop and USB. Laptops suffer from insufficient voltage on the USB to save battery life. Use a external powered hub or a desktop.

73
Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

There is nothing in the K3 that needs power from the laptop.  That's most definitely not the issue.  It's actually super annoying because I have to pull power from the radio *and* yank the usb cable to reset the thing sometimes.

-Bob N3XKB

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 11:38 AM mikerodgerske5gbc via groups.io <mikerodgerske5gbc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, I hope who you borrowed it from is still friends. I wouldn't be.

Your probably using a laptop and USB. Laptops suffer from insufficient voltage on the USB to save battery life. Use a external powered hub or a desktop.

73
Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome

mikerodgerske5gbc

Suite yourself. It's a known problem. It has to reload all the firmware and probably fails at almost the end.

At least it was a problem with the k3's.

Once again. Suite yourself.

Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome

mikerodgerske5gbc

You'll probably find that also in the help file.

Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome