Topics

K3 ERR TXF on 6m FM with 12 kHz filter

John V

Greetings all "socially distancing folks".
I've trying to hit a local repeater on 6m FM. I have the proper frequency, PL code and off-set, the mode shows as FM T and - (minus) . I can "kerchunk" the machine once but then I instantly get the ERR TXF message in the VFO B window. I can clear the ERR TXF message by switching to another mode and back to FM and repeat the ERR TXF by transmitting again.  I have set the 12 kHz filter (Installed in Filter #1 slot)  using the K3 Utility and also via the config mode using the radio -- BW 12.00, FM enable, TX FM. I've searched the group and  I've read the related sections in the Factory manual and in the Cady book -- but "groundhog day"  persists.

What am I missing?   Thanks,  John NA6L

Tom

I would start with your antenna: are you connected to the correct antenna? Are all the connections right? Any issues with the feed line ?

Tom
KB3ONZ

Joe Subich, W4TV

ERR TXF indicates you have selected the wrong filter for transmit.
For FM, you must select 12 KHz. For AM you must select either
12 KHz or 6 KHz. For SSB, CW, Data you must select either 2.7
or 2.8 KHz.

See the K3 Utility for the easiest way to set the correct filter(s).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-03-25 9:42 AM, Tom via Groups.Io wrote:
I would start with your antenna: are you connected to the correct antenna? Are all the connections right? Any issues with the feed line ?
Tom
KB3ONZ

Keith_WE6R

Hi John, It is supposed to be 13,00 in the Utility, not 12.
Keith

John V

Keith/Joe, thanks a bunch.  I reread everything that I read yesterday and indeed it is written 13-13-13-13 EVERYWHERE.  For some reason I was “seeing” 12-12-12-12 in the manuals  and it became some sort of pretzel logic.  The original filter setting number that was shown on my K3 utility was set at 12 kHz so maybe that got me headed  into the pretzel store.

Woohoo, I changed the setting from 12 to 13 and now I can hit a 6m repeater that is about 60 miles away with just 100 mw.

Thanks again, John NA6L San Diego CA USA