Hamation Bandmaster 5


Mike VE3YF
 

Hi:

I am starting to automate things here in the shack, just getting lazy and at times rather forgetful.

Is anyone using the Bandmaster 5 from Hamation (Thru Array Solutions).

I am planning on getting a pair of Bandmaster 5 to use with my WX0B Sixpak. In the Bandmaster 5 description and manual It mentions if you use the Auxbus Port for Band Data info that you will loose some flexibility vs using the RS-232 Port, while it will work. but not sure what you will loose, but using the Auxbus is a heck of a lot easier to use than the RS-232 Port. All my RS-232 ports on the K3S and the P3 are in use, and don't really want to invest in more boxes to free up a RS-232 Port.

Any info or suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Tnx.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


Charlie T, k3ICH
 

Hmmm, I thought a “Bandmaster” was a Fender guitar amplifier ???

 

P-P 6L6’s driving a pair of 12” speakers in a separate cabinet.

 

73, Charlie k3ICH

 

 

 

 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike VE3YF
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 12:27 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Hamation Bandmaster 5

 

Hi:

I am starting to automate things here in the shack, just getting lazy and at times rather forgetful.

Is anyone using the Bandmaster 5 from Hamation (Thru Array Solutions).

I am planning on getting a pair of Bandmaster 5 to use with my WX0B Sixpak. In the Bandmaster 5 description and manual It mentions if you use the Auxbus Port for Band Data info that you will loose some flexibility vs using the RS-232 Port, while it will work. but not sure what you will loose, but using the Auxbus is a heck of a lot easier to use than the RS-232 Port. All my RS-232 ports on the K3S and the P3 are in use, and don't really want to invest in more boxes to free up a RS-232 Port.

Any info or suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Tnx.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


Mike VE3YF
 

Charlie you are not wrong. If you do a Google search the guitar and the Bandmaster 5 both come up.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


rich
 

I do not know anything about how the WX0B bandpass filters select the proper filter, but if it uses relays to switch filters.   DXE sells the BCD14 board which will accept the Band data (AUX) from the K3 and send 12v to the appropriate relay.  I think the BCD14 is SOURCE, if you need SINK then there is a second board (cannot remember the model#) which you place in parallel with the BCD14 to achieve SINK.

I could be totally off base here, due to lack of knowledge of the WX0B system

Rich


On 11/16/2021 17:02 PM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:

Hmmm, I thought a “Bandmaster” was a Fender guitar amplifier ???

 

P-P 6L6’s driving a pair of 12” speakers in a separate cabinet.

 

73, Charlie k3ICH

 

 

 

 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike VE3YF
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 12:27 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Hamation Bandmaster 5

 

Hi:

I am starting to automate things here in the shack, just getting lazy and at times rather forgetful.

Is anyone using the Bandmaster 5 from Hamation (Thru Array Solutions).

I am planning on getting a pair of Bandmaster 5 to use with my WX0B Sixpak. In the Bandmaster 5 description and manual It mentions if you use the Auxbus Port for Band Data info that you will loose some flexibility vs using the RS-232 Port, while it will work. but not sure what you will loose, but using the Auxbus is a heck of a lot easier to use than the RS-232 Port. All my RS-232 ports on the K3S and the P3 are in use, and don't really want to invest in more boxes to free up a RS-232 Port.

Any info or suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Tnx.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


rich
 

I should have noted that these boards only cost  BCD14 $25 and Highside Driver $15

Rich

On 11/16/2021 23:29 PM, rich wrote:

I do not know anything about how the WX0B bandpass filters select the proper filter, but if it uses relays to switch filters.   DXE sells the BCD14 board which will accept the Band data (AUX) from the K3 and send 12v to the appropriate relay.  I think the BCD14 is SOURCE, if you need SINK then there is a second board (cannot remember the model#) which you place in parallel with the BCD14 to achieve SINK.

I could be totally off base here, due to lack of knowledge of the WX0B system

Rich


On 11/16/2021 17:02 PM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:

Hmmm, I thought a “Bandmaster” was a Fender guitar amplifier ???

 

P-P 6L6’s driving a pair of 12” speakers in a separate cabinet.

 

73, Charlie k3ICH

 

 

 

 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike VE3YF
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 12:27 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Hamation Bandmaster 5

 

Hi:

I am starting to automate things here in the shack, just getting lazy and at times rather forgetful.

Is anyone using the Bandmaster 5 from Hamation (Thru Array Solutions).

I am planning on getting a pair of Bandmaster 5 to use with my WX0B Sixpak. In the Bandmaster 5 description and manual It mentions if you use the Auxbus Port for Band Data info that you will loose some flexibility vs using the RS-232 Port, while it will work. but not sure what you will loose, but using the Auxbus is a heck of a lot easier to use than the RS-232 Port. All my RS-232 ports on the K3S and the P3 are in use, and don't really want to invest in more boxes to free up a RS-232 Port.

Any info or suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Tnx.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


Jim Brown
 

Several years ago, I bought two sets of Bandmaster bandpass filters from a friend who was giving up on SO2R. I already had TXBPF sets integrated into my station, so but bought these to use on my Beverages. Before installing them, I measured them as I had others for this report, and they measured quite well.

http://k9yc.com/BandpassFilterSurvey.pdf

They are well built. I have no experience with Hamation switching/control components. BUT -- when I had a minor problem with one of the filter sets, I got an email response from the owner of the company within a few hours of a post left on their help line.

73, Jim K9YC


Geert Jan de Groot
 

I wonder what functionality is lost if "Band data A-D" on the K3 ACC connector is used instead? These are 4 digital (open collector) outputs that work well with band filters and antenna selections, also robust with high RF fields. It's what I use to drive a TXBPF box.

All you need is a DE15 connector on K3, a DE9 on this bandmaster and some 5-core shielded cable. And your RS232 ports remain free!


Mike VE3YF
 

Jim:

I have used the Dunestar 600's in the past and never had any issues. Top Quality.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF


Jim Brown
 

On 11/17/2021 9:09 AM, Mike VE3YF wrote:
I have used the Dunestar 600's in the past and never had any issues. Top Quality.
They are far below the quality of the W3NQN, TXBPF, and Hammation filters.

73, Jim


Mike VE3YF
 

I can only go by what I was using years ago and not even sure Hamation, TXBPF were around back then, but you never can tell.
--

73 De Mike
VE3YF