Ft8 question


Peter Tonnesen <tonnesen@...>
 

I am using a k3 with tigertronics usb and running wsjyx for ft8. In wsjtx not getting a reading on the db scale. Looking for recommended k3 settings


Brian K0DTJ
 

Are you referring to the green receive “thermometer”?  Are you getting decides?  If not check that WSJT is set to listen on the “USB audio codec” or whatever the Tigertronics calls it. Then set the K3 Line Out menu item so you get a maximum of 60 dB on the WSJT scale when signals are present. Also check the Windows sound setup “Volume” setting. IIRC, you should see deflection on the sound setup control panel too. 

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

On Aug 14, 2022, at 10:27, Peter Tonnesen <tonnesen@...> wrote:

I am using a k3 with tigertronics usb and running wsjyx for ft8. In wsjtx not getting a reading on the db scale. Looking for recommended k3 settings


Peter Tonnesen <tonnesen@...>
 

Ok how do I set the wsjtx codec for listem

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 12:49, Brian K0DTJ
<huntinhmb@...> wrote:
Are you referring to the green receive “thermometer”?  Are you getting decides?  If not check that WSJT is set to listen on the “USB audio codec” or whatever the Tigertronics calls it. Then set the K3 Line Out menu item so you get a maximum of 60 dB on the WSJT scale when signals are present. Also check the Windows sound setup “Volume” setting. IIRC, you should see deflection on the sound setup control panel too. 

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

On Aug 14, 2022, at 10:27, Peter Tonnesen <tonnesen@...> wrote:

I am using a k3 with tigertronics usb and running wsjyx for ft8. In wsjtx not getting a reading on the db scale. Looking for recommended k3 settings


Bob McGraw - K4TAX
 

Check out the answers found here:    https://www.tigertronics.com/slusbfaq.htm

73

Bob, K4TAX


Peter Tonnesen <tonnesen@...>
 

Thanks looks like I am good on the tigertron8cs settings just trying to confirm the elecraft k3 settings

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 15:16, Bob McGraw - K4TAX
<rmcgraw@...> wrote:
Check out the answers found here:    https://www.tigertronics.com/slusbfaq.htm

73

Bob, K4TAX


Rick NK7I
 

There are THREE control sets for the SLUSB/K3 combo.

1)  Leave the external SLUSB knob at max for TX and RX, delay at zero; then forget they exist.

2)  In the Windows driver controls (Start | (type in) Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Sound (Manage Audio Devices to bring up a new panel.

3)  Find and rename the SLUSB CODEC with:  Playback --> K3 TX and Recording --> K3 RX (for easier use later).

4)  Bring each control up and set the level to about half (as a starting point).  While there UNcheck the (advanced) box for sharing audio (allow it to be shared, no app takes it over).  You can right click on the box showing the value of the level to select dB (easier to understand).

5)  In the K3, go the DATA A mode, select the LINE as the audio sources; adjust the line in and line out to about half way.

6)  Going back and forth from driver and radio, set the TX to 4 bars during transmit (use the TEST function so you don't transmit) and the RX to ~ 50 dB with no signal (~80 dB with) on WSJT-X.

Do not allow ANY volume be near 100% as it may cause distortion.

This is stated without my K3 in front of me, so it may be a tad off; I've moved on to the K4 and will create position 2 in my station with the K3 (still VERY worthy radio).

It should get you into the ballpark.

Do NOT use the SLUSB VOX feature, it's not reliable and it's a bother.  Use CAT control, it's fine (used it for years).

Operate exuberantly! es 73,
Rick nk7i

On 8/14/2022 3:29 PM, Peter Tonnesen wrote:
Thanks looks like I am good on the tigertron8cs settings just trying to confirm the elecraft k3 settings
Peter ai6hu


On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 15:16, Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Check out the answers found here:    https://www.tigertronics.com/slusbfaq.htm

73

Bob, K4TAX