Failure Notice

N2TK, Tony

I have been using WSJT-X, version v2.2.2 with my K3 for quite a while without any issues. I rebooted my desktop PC and it installed a Win10 upgrade. Now no power out. The K3 is keyed and the transmit light is on but no power out.
Checked audio settings in WSJT-X, Input selected Microphone(USB Audio CODEC) and Output selected Speakers (USB Audio CODEC).
The K3 or anything else was not touched before the PC update. CW and SSB are fine for power out..

In WIN10, System, Sound, output selected Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) and input selected Microphone (USB Audio CODEC). Still no power out.
What am I missing?

I tried sending this to WSJT but it wouldn't post because it said I needed to add a hashtag. Not sure what it wanted.
Tnx for any feedback.
N2TK, Tony

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Set the SPKR level via the ICON in the tray to about 30% or up to 50%.  Just left-click on the ICON and adjust the level using the mouse wheel.

Bob Hallock

Tony check te settings for audio in and out.  I had mine changed from a windows update.
Bob K7TM

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021, 3:37 AM N2TK, Tony via groups.io <tony.kaz=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I have been using WSJT-X, version v2.2.2 with my K3 for quite a while without any issues. I rebooted my desktop PC and it installed a Win10 upgrade. Now no power out. The K3 is keyed and the transmit light is on but no power out.
Checked audio settings in WSJT-X, Input selected Microphone(USB Audio CODEC) and Output selected Speakers (USB Audio CODEC).
The K3 or anything else was not touched before the PC update. CW and SSB are fine for power out..

In WIN10, System, Sound, output selected Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) and input selected Microphone (USB Audio CODEC). Still no power out.
What am I missing?

I tried sending this to WSJT but it wouldn't post because it said I needed to add a hashtag. Not sure what it wanted.
Tnx for any feedback.
N2TK, Tony

Ray Maxfield

If you have head phones pluged in to the computer…

Un-plug them….. had that problem…. WA6VAB   Ray

[...]

Bill Carpenter

Another reason I'm glad I dumped Winders for Linux! Good luck.

73, Bill NZ0T

N2TK, Tony

Tnx Bob.
Nope, no headphones or mikes plugged in.
N2TK, Tony

[...]

KE1F Lou

How did you do it.

I am ready too dump WIN10.

Yesterday everything worked, today using JTDX, I can see 2 - 3 downloads and able to download and make 1 contact.

Would someone start a transition from WIN10 to LINUX chatline for us computer idiots?

Frustrated old fart.

73, Lou KE1F

On 6/28/2021 23:01, Bill Carpenter wrote:
Another reason I'm glad I dumped Winders for Linux! Good luck.

73, Bill NZ0T

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I've been running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit since it was released.  A couple of points I find valuable:
(a) allow automatic updates to take place. I've not found this causes any issues or changes that result in misoperation.  If it does, it likely is due to something else in the system.
(b) Perform regular computer maintenance to eliminate fragmented files, unused registry entries, and etc.   I use CCleaner for this purpose.  {The free version works but I prefer the paid version as it offers more features. }

The computer shut down procedure is VERY important.  Be sure to shut down the computer using the Windows supplied procedure and NOT by pressing the power switch.

I'm looking forward to Windows 11 like Windows 10 Pro 64 bit has given excellent and reliable performance.   I can't vouch for Windows 10 Home edition.

Bill Carpenter

Hi Lou,

There are many versions of Linux which are called distributions or distros for short.  I would suggests starting with Zorin which is the most Windows like distro.

https://zorinos.com/

You can download and Linux distro on a thumb drive and run it "live" from the thumb drive without actually loading it on your hard drive.  This allows you to get a good feel for how it works and is a great learning tool.  I started with Zorin and ended up using Linux Mint.  I have 2 solid state drives in my shack computer one with Mint and the other with Win10.  Or id your drive is large enough you can double boot both on the same drive.  You will want to keep Win because there will be Windows apps that will not work using the Linux WINE app which allows you to run many Windows apps on Linux.  There will be a steep learning curve at first because Linux is much different than Windows including the terms used but you will find ample help for whatever distro you use online.

And it's all free!

73, Bill NZ0T

Ray Maxfield

I use Win 10 for my FT8 communications with No prblems. (other than Spelling)

I use VOX, & Line-in Config. On The K3.

I don’t rely on Much of the Computer functions for Operations = Less Failures.

WA6VAB    Ray K3

Waiting for Windows 11 Also.

I've been running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit since it was released.  A couple of points I find valuable:
(a) allow automatic updates to take place. I've not found this causes any issues or changes that result in misoperation.  If it does, it likely is due to something else in the system.
(b) Perform regular computer maintenance to eliminate fragmented files, unused registry entries, and etc.   I use CCleaner for this purpose.  {The free version works but I prefer the paid version as it offers more features. }

The computer shut down procedure is VERY important.  Be sure to shut down the computer using the Windows supplied procedure and NOT by pressing the power switch.

I'm looking forward to Windows 11 like Windows 10 Pro 64 bit has given excellent and reliable performance.   I can't vouch for Windows 10 Home edition.

Jim Brown

What does this have to do with "Failure Notice?"

73, Jim K9YC

On 7/16/2021 6:18 PM, Nolan - KI5IO wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
RE:  W-11
I have some close friends who have d/l and installed the new W-11 release. They are on the Insider Program.
I'm also in that program, but all 3 of my laptops are too old and will not be able to run W-11.  So, for me to move to W-11 it will mean new computers.
Not going to happen anytime soon in my 'retired-income' household.
As for W-10 Pro ... running on all 3 of our 'mature' laptops and have never had any issues with it at all.  I have one dedicated to my ham radio work and I do run FTxx APPs, but any updates for W-10 Pro have never impacted my settings.
--
73 - Nolan K.
KI5IO