Disabling Windows 10 Pro (and earlier) Automatic Updates

Lyn Norstad

Because this question continues to arise ...

Disabling Windows 10 (and earlier) Automatic Updates - Change the Setting of the Group Policy Editor

The Group Policy feature is not available in the Home edition. So, only when you run Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating. The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.

Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.

Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update".
Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates".

Select "Disabled" in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and "OK" to disable the Windows automatic update feature.

Note: If you need to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the steps above, then select Enabled to turn on this feature, so that you can continue to download the updates.

You'll also see other options that may better suit your needs.  And for convenience, you can also create a desktop shortcut "Group Policy" with just the entry " gpedit.msc "

73
Lyn, W0LEN

Steve VE3RX

There is a Win10 utility called Windows Update Blocker (WUB), found at sordum.org. You can block updates and then enable them from this one utility. I usually turn off updates during heavy use, like weekend contests. Then, when I have nothing else pressing, I enable the updates at my convenience. I've had it left on for weeks, no ill effects.

73
Steve