Topics

Data vs SSB

Larry

Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there.  When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

john ni0k

My bet is that, despite what you saw, the DATA mode was reversed somehow. Try to repeat the problem.

73,
-John NI0K

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:12 AM
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there.  When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

Peter Kohl <pkohl1960@...>

Hi Larry,

Just a short one (am in a hurry...)
Check AGC on/off - can have drastic effects
Check if the right xtal-filters are activated for 10M

73 de Peter ON4EZJ

On 25/05/18 18:12, Larry wrote:
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there. When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

Larry

Data indeed showed LSB.  Iv'e changed it to USB so now things should be correct.  Will see what happens the next time 10M gets some activity.

Tks for tip.  wud not have thought that would happen.

Larry

W0OGH

On 5/25/2018 9:57 AM, john ni0k wrote:
[...]

Peter,

When i looked at the data mode, it showed AFSK A and not data A and it
was set on LSB.  I changed it to USB so now will see how things work
when 10M opens up again.

Tks for the suggestion.  {slow down a bit, you might miss some DX!}

73

Larry
W0OGH

On 25/05/18 18:12, Larry wrote:
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there. When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

ve3ki

AFSK A is LSB by default. Instead of leaving the rig in AFSK A "reverse" (USB, but still AFSK A), you should change the data sub-mode to DATA A (which by default is USB). The reason: The dial frequency displayed by the K3 in DATA A is the suppressed carrier frequency, as expected by your software, whereas the dial frequency in AFSK A is the RTTY Mark frequency. This means that your FT8 software will tune the rig to the wrong frequency. A dial frequency of 28.074 MHz in AFSK A "reverse" will tune the rig to the same actual frequency as DATA A set to 28.071875 MHz (assuming a RTTY Pitch setting of 2125 Hz), which will not get you many FT8 contacts.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On 25/05/18 18:12, Larry wrote:
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there. When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

Larry

It is set for DATA mode and USB but now the power output "hunts" and is not steady as before.  If i go back to regular USB then the power comes up to where it should be and is nice and steady.  go back to DATA mode and the output power swings around.  I've not had this problem before and i've been running FT8 in Data mode on all bands except 10M since last July.  One thing after another it seems!

Larry

W0OGH

On 25/05/18 18:12, Larry wrote:
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there. When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Be sure in Data A the audio level is set such that you see 4 solid bars on the ALC scale and the 5th bar flickering.   This is the "Elecraft way" and must be done this way.    FYI - the first 5 bars indicate AUDIO LEVEL and are not ALC values.   ALC actions start with the 6th bar.  Don't believe what others tell you or write ..........unless they own and operate an Elecraft.

Also  in Data A mode the TX EQ  values and CMP values are automatically neutralized.   Unlike USB which will have your choices of EQ and CMP applied.

Also, in FT-8, if your tone is 1500 Hz you will observe a beat between the scan and interrogation which will make the indication on the ALC scale move up and down in rhythm.   Just change the FT-8 tone to something other than 1500 Hz.

On 25/05/18 18:12, Larry wrote:
Here's a new one.  I was working 6M FT8 mode this morning and when it
went out shifted down to 10M digital, FT8.

On 6 and the other bands i use data mode with FT8 but when i shifted to
10M data mode would not decode any signals.  I had to shift to USB.
Nothing else as far as controls changed, it would just not decode
anything on data mode.  No idea what the heck is going on there. When i
was in data mode, i could see signals to decode on the screen but the
"decode" button in WSJT-X would only flash quickly.  Changing to USB
allowed me to copy or decode signals.  Data mode was not reversed so i'm
stumped by this. Probably something simple but i just can't see it.

larry

W0OGH

HB9DDS

I have a "similar" Problem

K3 (Reduced to 10W for FT8) and WSJT 2.1.0, FT8, AlexLoop indoor

On 20M I RX (decode) the signals without any problem with the Mode DATA
On 40M this doesn't work .......only USB

https://up.picr.de/37182265wi.png

Any suggestions?
Daniel, HB9DDS

Joe Subich, W4TV

Make sure your Data mode on 40 meters is DATA A NOR and
not DATA A REV, AFSK A or FSK D. The K3/K3S stores
data submode on a PER BAND basis.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2019-11-09 3:01 PM, hb9dds@... wrote:
I have a "similar" Problem
K3 (Reduced to 10W for FT8) and WSJT 2.1.0, FT8, AlexLoop indoor
On 20M I RX (decode) the signals without any problem with the Mode DATA
On 40M this doesn't work .......only USB
https://up.picr.de/37182265wi.png
Any suggestions?
Daniel, HB9DDS

HB9DDS