Topics

Bluetooth adapter for ham use

Charlie T, k3ICH

OK, I just got me a brandee new set of Costco hearing aids that pair automatically with my  iPhone via built-in Bluetooth.

So, I’m thinking, maybe I should buy a Bluetooth transmitter and plug it into my K3’s headphone jack.

My question is, what should I buy?  They seem to range from under 10 bucks to hundreds, so as usual, I’m confused.

I really only need the transmitter side of Bluetooth so I can hear the radio’s Rx audio in my hearing bones.

I don’t need the  BT Rx function as I will use my station mike for transmitting.

PLEASE do not reply through the forum as I don’t want to start another endless thread which has to be cut-off by the moderators.

Send replies to k3ich at arrl dot net.

If enough people also want to know the recommendations, I will post the results.

I have also ordered Costco’s version of the “TV adapter” which has a TOS link (optical) input.

It’s a whopping hundred bucks, so if I can find an equivalent low latency (good lip-sync) unit for a lot less I’ll return it,

since they give you six months to evaluate the system and offer a full refund during that time frame.

As a side comment, these are Kirkland’s version 9  hearing aids which are a VAST improvement over my previous version 7 bones.

I’m not connected in any way with Costco, plus,  their audiologists do NOT receive any commission on sales.

Simply put, you cannot beat their prices and service on hearing aids. I’ve tried!

73, Charlie k3ICH

Rob Sherwood

Savings at Costco on eye glasses are similarly significant.  A new prescription from Kaiser, with an insignificant co-pay, if filled at the same Kaiser facility, would have been $498.00. My third time using Costco came in at $159.00.

Rob, NC0B

On Jan 19, 2020, at 6:33 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

[...]

Ned Mountain WC4X

Charlie,
I am interested in what you find out and suspect many others are as well.  Please keep us posted.
Ned
WC4X

Richard Smith

I tried to use my Starkey aids with my Mac via bluetooth.  I ordered the Starkey Remote Mic Plus which will allow up to 6 bluetooth devices to be attached to my HA’s.  The audio quality sucked.  It was B.A.D.!   Just my experience.  RAS

On Jan 20, 2020, at 7:48 AM, Ned Mountain WC4X <ned.mountain@...> wrote:

Charlie,
I am interested in what you find out and suspect many others are as well.  Please keep us posted.
Ned
WC4X

David Box

You might take a look at this transmiter, works well for me operating CW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MXFJGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

de Dave K5MWR

On 1/20/2020 07:48, Ned Mountain WC4X wrote:
Charlie,
I am interested in what you find out and suspect many others are as well.  Please keep us posted.
Ned
WC4X

KB1YJ. (Bill)

Interest in results

Bill Clapp kb1yj @arrl

On Jan 19, 2020, at 06:33, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim - WS6X

I am also interested in the Bluetooth connectivity. When I got my Kirkland hearing aids I was excited to see that the remote control had an audio input. I hooked that to the K3 headphones out. The result was horrible! I figured the individually tailored EQ for each side wasn't expecting to encounter a "flat" audio signal.
Jim - WS6X

Charlie T, k3ICH

Thanks to all for the input on my Bluetooth/hearing aid question.

Here's my results so far.

#1, For you Costco/Kirkland HA owners, I have not tried it with the radio yet, but

their "TV Connector" (??model #) interface works perfectly with the TV, easily

linking to my current Series 9 BTE style HA's.

Linking is the main question but since the device has both a TRS jack AND TOS-link

input, it should work fine with any radio's headphone output.

As soon as the TV is switched on, the TV sound comes through almost instantly.

The range is only about 20 feet, which is fine for me. The audio from the TV is fed

through a TOS-link splitter with the other output driving a surround sound processor.

There is a barely perceptible latency delay that is only noticeable if I hear both

the direct TV speaker output AND my HA's. The sound has an "echo" characteristic, but

if the speaker level is set for others in the room, then the HA audio is louder

which effectively eliminates the echo. This would obviously NOT be a problem

for ham use.

#2, I have tried a few other brand "TV adapters" ranging in price for $5 to $70,

and as yet, have been unsuccessful in getting them to link to my HA's.  As a further

experiment, I am going to buy a pair of cheap Bluetooth enabled headphones, to see if

my Kirkland HA's have some proprietary interface which is preventing the normal BT

link from occurring.

I'll report more as further experiments are performed.

73, Charlie k3ICH