Topics

About digital and FT8 was K3S to be discontinued

Martin Sole

Hi,

JTDX is a fork of WSJT-X and adds a few other features including a bit more automation I think though I haven't really tried it much as yet.

I wrote a macro to add some automation to WSJT-X as I found the whole FT8 process tedious. I've since essentially given up on such modes altogether although I do still enjoy RTTY. I think there is a detachment in much of the digital stuff that just leaves me cold. I find it much more engaging to fight with the noise, the pile ups and other things to extract the smallest vestiges of humanly decodable signal. That gets a fist pump when it happens.

Across 20 this morning not a single CW or SSB signal. Not surprising you might say at 11 degrees north yet 3 discrete frequencies have pretty much constant FT8. I guess no one is interested in the radio any more.

Martin, HS0ZED

On 29/10/2019 08:57, Mel Marcus wrote:
The is no FT in fldgi.  you will have to download wsjt-x. in there you will find ft4 and 8.

Mel
NE9A
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued
Date: Mon, October 28, 2019 6:31 pm
To: <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>

Right now I am reading the beginner’s guide to fldigi and have yet to see any mention of the FT modes.  A buddy showed me how to do rtty with HRD deluxe a while back but the FT stuff is still a foreign language.  Maybe if I could take my life back 50 years it would be easy.

Rob Sherwood

There was lots of activity from 160m to 10m during this weekend’s CQ Worldwide SSB contest.  Rob, NC0B

On Oct 28, 2019, at 10:36 PM, Martin Sole <hs0zed@...> wrote:

Hi,

JTDX is a fork of WSJT-X and adds a few other features including a bit more automation I think though I haven't really tried it much as yet.

I wrote a macro to add some automation to WSJT-X as I found the whole FT8 process tedious. I've since essentially given up on such modes altogether although I do still enjoy RTTY. I think there is a detachment in much of the digital stuff that just leaves me cold. I find it much more engaging to fight with the noise, the pile ups and other things to extract the smallest vestiges of humanly decodable signal. That gets a fist pump when it happens.

Across 20 this morning not a single CW or SSB signal. Not surprising you might say at 11 degrees north yet 3 discrete frequencies have pretty much constant FT8. I guess no one is interested in the radio any more.

Martin, HS0ZED

The is no FT in fldgi.  you will have to download wsjt-x. in there you will find ft4 and 8.

Mel
NE9A

Right now I am reading the beginner’s guide to fldigi and have yet to see any mention of the FT modes.  A buddy showed me how to do rtty with HRD deluxe a while back but the FT stuff is still a foreign language.  Maybe if I could take my life back 50 years it would be easy.

Martin Sole

Indeed there was. I worked a few hundred on 15m SSB alone without really trying. Unfortunately that's the exception rather than the rule these days. The other exception being FT8, which is almost 24/7/365 alive with activity.

I'm not active on 160m and we don't have an SSB allocation for 80m.

Martin, HS0ZED

On 29/10/2019 11:49, Rob Sherwood wrote:
There was lots of activity from 160m to 10m during this weekend’s CQ Worldwide SSB contest.  Rob, NC0B

On Oct 28, 2019, at 10:36 PM, Martin Sole <hs0zed@...> wrote:

Hi,

Martin, HS0ZED

Mel
NE9A

K1dj

Good evening Martin —

I always check for CW first, and have had the same experience recently of finding few to no CW operators on while the FT frequencies are almost always active.  A nice exception was yesterday afternoon, when I was able to work Pitcairn Island on 3 bands on CW in quick succession with my K3S with or without the KPA500!

In addition to the weekend contests, you might try listening for CW activity about 26 KHz up from the bottom of the CW bands during the CWOPs Club’s CWT mini-contests at 1300 and 1900 every Wednesday and 0300 on Thursday.  All are welcome to join in.  Several operators come on before, and stay on after the one-hour CWTs.

And I am always delighted to work, or try to work, Thailand on CW from here on the coast of Massachusetts!  So far, my only HS0 QSO was, as you might guess, via FT-8...

73 -
Rich, K1DJ

On Oct 29, 2019, at 12:36 AM, Martin Sole <hs0zed@...> wrote:

Hi,

Martin, HS0ZED

Mel
NE9A