Topics

A K3 and/or KAT500 problem

Jerry

GA All,

This problem I have started about several months ago. Prior to the problem, I “trained” my KAT500 to switch to selected antenna tuner values automatically when I switch frequencies, such that I never had to give the Kat500 a little bit of rf to get the correct L and C.

Now every time I switch to a frequency far enough away from the current one I was on, I hear the relays click and clack, but the K3 is slightly muted. When I give the KAT500 a slight CW key down, (not SSB) then the radio becomes more sensitive and the SWR becomes what it should be based on “training the KAT500 parameters” were before. If the KPA500 is on when I give the KAT500 a short CW key down, then the amp goes into (briefly) high swr reading and then returns to normal operation.

I have two KAT500 and both exhibit the same characterizations which leads me to believe that the K3 may be misconfigured.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

harry latterman <harrylatterman@...>

I have had my setup for many year and I have also experienced the same issue. The RX is almost dead and once I get some RF into the KAT500 and hear some noise (not always) all of a sudden my radio comes alive.. This is true in the past with two different K3's and also with a IC-7300 using RF sense... I have just learned to ignore it and live with it.  However it would be nice to know why it does it.

73 Harry K7ZOV

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 3:31:24 PM MST, Jerry <W1IE@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Kopec

Hello Harry, I also experience the same thing you describe with my K3s and KPA500 but I am using a LDG AT-600Pro 11 tuner. I to have learned to ignore it. 73 de Mike K8NS

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 6:42:24 PM EDT, harry latterman via Groups.Io <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Jerry:

See the configuration shown on page 5, Figure 1, in the KAT500 manual.   Note that the K3 connects first to the KAT500 and then the KAT500 then connects to the KPA500.     This allows the K3 to KAT500 select the correct match components which was previously attained for the antenna, band and frequency.    This also will interrupt the KPA500 PTT line when the KAT500 is tuning.  Do not use a  PTT line from the K3 Key Out to the KPA500 PA Key.  That is handled in the cable from the KAT500 to KPA500.

As to frequencies, for 160M and 80M I have resolved matches every 25 kHz across the entire band.  For 40M I have resolved a match every 50 kHz across the band,  and for all other bands, I choose 100 kHz.   This may need to be different and you need to store more frequencies per band,  depending on the Q or bandwidth of your antennas.   If you find a particular frequency for said antenna has higher SWR than you desire, simply press TUNE on the radio and TUNE on the KAT500.  This will resolve a match for that antenna and frequency.

Yes, as I change frequencies on my K3S the relays click in the KAT500 to the correct values of L and C as previously determined.  No RF is required in SSB or CW for this to occur.  I always operate my KAT500 in MAN mode.

All of this works correctly at my QTH with the same equipment.

On 8/9/2019 5:31 PM, Jerry wrote:

[...]

Wes

I don't see a K3 problem, I think it's a problem with one, or both, bypass relays (K20-K21) in the KAT500, although I suppose it could be any one of the relays.

Wes  N7WS

On 8/9/2019 3:31 PM, Jerry wrote:

[...]

_._,_._,_

Jerry

Thank you all for your suggestions. Wes, I will look at those two relays and replace them with some extra relays I have from a KPA500 LBP board that was replaced much earlier.

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE