K3 SSB not transmitting, CW & DATA transmit

Glen Johnsen

GM from KA6GMA, Glen

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Mel Marcus

just a thought. are power levels saved by mode and band. if they are, what is the power level set at for SSB on the band you are trying to operate.

Mel
NE9A

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Correct microphone bias?

Tom W4KX

On Sep 20, 2021, at 10:21 AM, Glen Johnsen <ka6gma@...> wrote:

GM from KA6GMA, Glen

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Glen Johnsen

Thank you for responding Tom

Power levels are saved.  I tried varying the level from 5 to 50 watts and no response

Microphone is Heil Pro 20 and I checked the cable for continuity, bent pins, and connectors mated.  Front panel mount.

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Glen Johnsen

Thank you for responding Mel

Power levels are saved.  I tried varying the level from 5 to 50 watts and no response

Microphone is Heil Pro 20 and I checked the cable for continuity, bent pins, and connectors mated.  Front panel mount.

Regards

Glen KA6GMA

just a thought. are power levels saved by mode and band. if they are, what is the power level set at for SSB on the band you are trying to operate.

Mel

NE9A

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

David Erickson - AB0R

On 9/20/2021 9:09 AM, Glen Johnsen wrote:
GM from KA6GMA, Glen
I am having issue with no power output using SSB
Although, CW and DATA are working just fine
MiC Gain is 30
Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB
Any suggestions to try?
Regards,
Glen KA6GMA
Glen,

Could your roofing filter configuration be wrong?

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

Ray Maxfield

Hi Glen

Go into the K3 Config Program

And Check the Crystal Config for SSB Mode as needed.

Ray WA6VAB  K3

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 9/20/2021 9:09 AM, Glen Johnsen wrote:

> GM from KA6GMA, Glen

> I am having issue with no power output using SSB

> Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

> MiC Gain is 30

> Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

> Any suggestions to try?

> Regards,

> Glen KA6GMA

Glen,

Could your roofing filter configuration be wrong?

--

Dave Erickson

AB0R

73

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Bias must be OFF for dynamic mikes

On Sep 20, 2021, at 12:02 PM, Glen Johnsen <ka6gma@...> wrote:

Thank you for responding Tom

Power levels are saved.  I tried varying the level from 5 to 50 watts and no response

Microphone is Heil Pro 20 and I checked the cable for continuity, bent pins, and connectors mated.  Front panel mount.

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Glen Johnsen

Thanks for getting back with me.  I did check all your suggestions.  I found the problem- it was in the Heil PR20mic/footswitch setup.  Using a Kenwood dynamic mic in the K3 front connector worked.

Best Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

And Check the Crystal Config for SSB Mode as needed.

Ray WA6VAB  K3

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 9/20/2021 9:09 AM, Glen Johnsen wrote:

> GM from KA6GMA, Glen

> I am having issue with no power output using SSB

> Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

> MiC Gain is 30

> Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

> Any suggestions to try?

> Regards,

> Glen KA6GMA

Glen,

Could your roofing filter configuration be wrong?

--

Dave Erickson

AB0R

73

Glen Johnsen

Thanks for getting back with me. I did check all your suggestions. I found the problem- it was in the Heil PR20mic/footswitch setup. Using a Kenwood dynamic mic in the K3 front connector worked.
Best Regards,
Glen KA6GMA

just a thought. are power levels saved by mode and band. if they are, what is the power level set at for SSB on the band you are trying to operate.

Mel

NE9A

I am having issue with no power output using SSB

Although, CW and DATA are working just fine

MiC Gain is 30

Did reset on K3 still no response on SSB

Any suggestions to try?

Regards,

Glen KA6GMA

Keith_WE6R <keithtrinity@...>

Hi Glenn;
I understand you got it going, but;
What exactly did you do when you;   "Did reset on K3.." ?
A Parameter Initialization (EE-INIT)  will wipe many settings and calibrations.

Also, one should never TX at exactly 5 or 50 watts (or 1.0MW) as you might do an inadvertent manual Transmit-Gain-Calibration.
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3/K4 Tech.

Glen Johnsen

Keith,

Problem:

K3 does not transmit on SSB but does on DATA and CW

Last few months, I have had intermittent issue transmitting on K3  SSB.

Troubleshooting process:

It had helped that I purchased the K3 as a kit and had done initial setup previously in the past

It was my thought that maybe there was a software issue or I had inadvertently changed a setting in the menu

I reviewed the owner manual  menu and config parameters.  Everything verified correctly.

I reverified and rerecorded  my filter settings.

Before I did the recent  EE-init; I had saved the current profile settings.

Also, I had a previous profile saved from 2020.

I restored the 2020 profile it made no difference in resolving my tx problem

I restored the current 2021; it made no difference in resolving the tx problem.

I wanted to swap out my Heil mic/foot switch setup  with the Elecraft hand mic but couldn’t locate it.  It had been almost 5 years since last using the Elecraft hand mic.

Checking various sources, and it may have been from the Elecraft site, that said the K3 mic front panel connection was based on Kenwood HF mics.

AHA! I have one of those mics.  I plugged it in and it worked.  The K3 with the Kenwood mic was again transmitting on SSB.

Of course, shortly, after this discovery. Elecraft tech rep called me.  I repeated the process with him and my troubleshooting was verified as true.

Conclusion:

Elecraft responded within the day of my initial call. Great customer service.

I resolved my transmit issue but now need to pursue troubleshooting my Heil PR20/foot switch assembly.

Never had to do K3 Tx-gain-calibration this time. Thank you for your input Keith.

It is quite beneficial in assembling K3 transceiver kit.  It gives confidence when somethings don’t go according to plan

Keith, I hope Elecraft continues manufacturing modular transceiver kits?

long answer to your short question Keith.

Best Regards,

Glen KA6GMA