KIO3

Norm Meyers N9MM

Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Greg Mitchell <kb1awm@...>

I might have the original one left from my upgrade. I will have to check. Email me off list if you want a non-usb one.

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:
Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Jack Shirley N8DX

Yep just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Everything was off, antenna was below top of the house, and the 12VDC PS was plugged into a Tripp lite surge suppressor. Computer was not. 
Seems to me that this design is very prone to such.

Elecraft wanted me to send K3S back, they are 12 weeks backed up in repairs.
Jack N8DX

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021, 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:

Norm N9MM

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Happened to me years ago. Surge came in on the cable, fried the cable modem, the router, the PC (connected to the router via Ethernet) and finally the KIO3. 

I no longer connect the anything in the shack via internet: just via wireless. 

I also should mention the cable company redid the grounding at the entry point (totally rewired). 

Tom W4KX

On Aug 23, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Jack Shirley N8DX <jcshirle@...> wrote:

Yep just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Everything was off, antenna was below top of the house, and the 12VDC PS was plugged into a Tripp lite surge suppressor. Computer was not. 

Elecraft wanted me to send K3S back, they are 12 weeks backed up in repairs.
Jack N8DX

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021, 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:

Norm N9MM

Steve Fox

Do you all have underground service cables in your hood, or on poles?

I’ve had lightning fry the invisible dog fence circuit board a number of times, and take out some trees, but never a problem with the household power, cable, or phone wiring.

steve
KA4FOX

Jack Shirley N8DX

All underground utilities. 

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 9:02 AM Steve Fox <KA4FOX@...> wrote:

I’ve had lightning fry the invisible dog fence circuit board a number of times, and take out some trees, but never a problem with the household power, cable, or phone wiring.

steve
KA4FOX

Tom Doligalski W4KX

All of our utilities are underground. But, lightning can be quite persistent!

Tom W4KX

On Aug 23, 2021, at 9:02 AM, Steve Fox <KA4FOX@...> wrote:

steve
KA4FOX

Dale, K9VUJ

The USB went out on mine too.  I just use the RS232 now.  I think the KIO3B is unobtainable any more unless you had placed an order for one before the close date.  I was going to untill I saw the price.  I'll just use the RS232 which works FB

Dale, K9VUJ

Alan Baker - G4GNX

I've been having issues with my K3S for a while. USB port seemed to come and go. Could be seen in Device Manager but couldn't connect to it. It would also randomly change port number.

2 days ago, it 'played up' again and I discovered a loose plug at the PC end. It's an old PC, soon to be replaced and when I tried to re-plug it, the USB panel fell inside the case and jammed a fan blade!
Having repaired it and replaced the internal battery which hadn't been touched for years, then I restored the BIOS settings and re-booted. The boot sequence stuck at initialising USB, so I removed 2 USB hubs and re-booted and all is well without them. The K3S shows up, along with the rest of the K-line.

What I think is happening is that the 2 USB hubs (which are unpowered) have been overloading the USB and the motherboard has tried to protect itself. Instead of ordering 2 PSUs, I've now ordered a 10 port hub with a 5A PSU and I'll see how that goes.

I was considering going back to the RS232 port, but I prefer not too unless it's a last resort.

Alan. G4GNX

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 23/08/2021 14:34:48
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] KIO3

The USB went out on mine too.  I just use the RS232 now.  I think the KIO3B is unobtainable any more unless you had placed an order for one before the close date.  I was going to untill I saw the price.  I'll just use the RS232 which works FB

Dale, K9VUJ

Chuck Hill K0MV

Sorry to hear this, Norm.

The first part on the KIO3B module is a USBLC6-2 and I don't know what that is--might be clamp diodes.  Then the USB lines go to a TUSB2036 USB hub controller, a 32 pin surface mount part.  That's a TI part and has good ESD ratings. 

The USB connection from my K3s to my computer is through a USB isolator.  The one I use is no longer available (HifimeDIY USB Isolator).  I suggest a Cablemax USB Isolator 5000Vrms from Amazon (there are cheaper ones that have 2500v).  This isolates the ground connection between K3 and computer preventing ground shift from getting in.  All equipment should be powered off the same power strip.  A bit late though, should have done this last week!

Chuck K0MV

On 8/22/21 7:05 PM, Norm Meyers N9MM wrote:

Norm N9MM

Bill Maddock

You might to try and pull and reseat the board, over time the connection can fault

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 9:25 AM, Chuck Hill K0MV <k0mv@...> wrote:

The first part on the KIO3B module is a USBLC6-2 and I don't know what that is--might be clamp diodes.  Then the USB lines go to a TUSB2036 USB hub controller, a 32 pin surface mount part.  That's a TI part and has good ESD ratings. 

The USB connection from my K3s to my computer is through a USB isolator.  The one I use is no longer available (HifimeDIY USB Isolator).  I suggest a Cablemax USB Isolator 5000Vrms from Amazon (there are cheaper ones that have 2500v).  This isolates the ground connection between K3 and computer preventing ground shift from getting in.  All equipment should be powered off the same power strip.  A bit late though, should have done this last week!

Chuck K0MV

Norm N9MM

Ken K6MR

I can only offer a sample of two boards that I repaired. In both cases the Hub device, 3.3V regulator, both power switches, and the dual bus buffer were taken out.  All these devices were on the USB line, either directly or through the 3.3V regulator.  So definitely a USB event. 

Bonding of the computer to the radio would normally be the way to avoid these types of failures, since the USB shell ground is rather puny.  I’m not a test subject since I don’t have the new USB board and get very little lightning.   Definitely wreaks havoc with the board though.  I’ve not heard of the isolator before but maybe something to consider.

Ken K6MR

Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 07:27
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

You might to try and pull and reseat the board, over time the connection can fault

On Monday, August 23, 2021, 9:25 AM, Chuck Hill K0MV <k0mv@...> wrote:

Chuck K0MV

Norm N9MM

Jim Brown

On 8/22/2021 8:30 PM, Jack Shirley N8DX wrote:
This post shows serious misconceptions about grounding and bonding. Two good solutions.

1) Buy and STUDY Ward Silver's excellent ARRL book on the topic.
2) Download and STUDY the slide deck pdf for a talk I've given on the topic at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several ham clubs.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

Before I retired, I was paid to teach workshops at trade shows for sound and video contractors on the topic, and I collaborated with Ward on both editions of his book (second finished this past winter).

73, Jim K9YC

Edward Seeliger KD5M

I had one KIO3B board repaired at the component level by Elecraft last spring after lightning damage.
The boards can be repaired as Ken K6MR indicates.
Edd - KD5M

Dale, K9VUJ

Ken,  would this affect the RS232 section of that board?

My USB is out as well, but the RS232 still works FB.  I would like to get the USB working again though.

Dale, K9VUJ

Ken K6MR

The two boards I worked on had fully functional RS-232 capability.  There are probably cases where this might not be true, but these two had a working serial port.

I understand the factory is doing component level repair now so I’m sure you can get it fixed.  Time frame is unknown.  Hopefully some of the guys that upgraded saved their old boards and they are out there to help those who need a temporary replacement.

Ken K6MR

Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 23:23
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

Ken,  would this affect the RS232 section of that board?

My USB is out as well, but the RS232 still works FB.  I would like to get the USB working again though.

Dale, K9VUJ