KIO3

Norm Meyers N9MM

Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Greg Mitchell <kb1awm@...>

I might have the original one left from my upgrade. I will have to check. Email me off list if you want a non-usb one.

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:
Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Jack Shirley N8DX

Yep just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Everything was off, antenna was below top of the house, and the 12VDC PS was plugged into a Tripp lite surge suppressor. Computer was not.
Seems to me that this design is very prone to such.

Elecraft wanted me to send K3S back, they are 12 weeks backed up in repairs.
Jack N8DX

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021, 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:
Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Happened to me years ago. Surge came in on the cable, fried the cable modem, the router, the PC (connected to the router via Ethernet) and finally the KIO3.

I no longer connect the anything in the shack via internet: just via wireless.

I also should mention the cable company redid the grounding at the entry point (totally rewired).

Tom W4KX

On Aug 23, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Jack Shirley N8DX <jcshirle@...> wrote:

Yep just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Everything was off, antenna was below top of the house, and the 12VDC PS was plugged into a Tripp lite surge suppressor. Computer was not.
Seems to me that this design is very prone to such.

Elecraft wanted me to send K3S back, they are 12 weeks backed up in repairs.
Jack N8DX

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021, 11:20 PM Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:
Help! I've had a lightning strike and have lost the USB portion of my KIO3B module. Anyone know of any being available anywhere, or maybe an old KIO3 (non-usb version) around?

Norm N9MM

Steve Fox

Do you all have underground service cables in your hood, or on poles?

I’ve had lightning fry the invisible dog fence circuit board a number of times, and take out some trees, but never a problem with the household power, cable, or phone wiring.

steve
KA4FOX

Jack Shirley N8DX

All underground utilities.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 9:02 AM Steve Fox <KA4FOX@...> wrote:
Do you all have underground service cables in your hood, or on poles?

I’ve had lightning fry the invisible dog fence circuit board a number of times, and take out some trees, but never a problem with the household power, cable, or phone wiring.

steve
KA4FOX

Tom Doligalski W4KX

All of our utilities are underground. But, lightning can be quite persistent!

Tom W4KX

On Aug 23, 2021, at 9:02 AM, Steve Fox <KA4FOX@...> wrote:

Do you all have underground service cables in your hood, or on poles?

I’ve had lightning fry the invisible dog fence circuit board a number of times, and take out some trees, but never a problem with the household power, cable, or phone wiring.

steve
KA4FOX

Dale, K9VUJ

The USB went out on mine too.  I just use the RS232 now.  I think the KIO3B is unobtainable any more unless you had placed an order for one before the close date.  I was going to untill I saw the price.  I'll just use the RS232 which works FB

Dale, K9VUJ

Alan Baker - G4GNX

I've been having issues with my K3S for a while. USB port seemed to come and go. Could be seen in Device Manager but couldn't connect to it. It would also randomly change port number.

2 days ago, it 'played up' again and I discovered a loose plug at the PC end. It's an old PC, soon to be replaced and when I tried to re-plug it, the USB panel fell inside the case and jammed a fan blade!
Having repaired it and replaced the internal battery which hadn't been touched for years, then I restored the BIOS settings and re-booted. The boot sequence stuck at initialising USB, so I removed 2 USB hubs and re-booted and all is well without them. The K3S shows up, along with the rest of the K-line.

What I think is happening is that the 2 USB hubs (which are unpowered) have been overloading the USB and the motherboard has tried to protect itself. Instead of ordering 2 PSUs, I've now ordered a 10 port hub with a 5A PSU and I'll see how that goes.

I was considering going back to the RS232 port, but I prefer not too unless it's a last resort.

73,

Alan. G4GNX