K3 Diversity reception

John Lemay

Hello all

Had fun in the 6m contest this weekend using 2 different yagis and diversity
reception on the K3.

But, I notice that CONFIG; VFO LINK ON is not saved after the radio is
switched off. Is this the expected operation ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Hello John,

In my case: in LINK ON mode, it sticks.

73,

Arie

Op 20-6-2021 om 22:00 schreef John Lemay:

Hello all

Had fun in the 6m contest this weekend using 2 different yagis and diversity
reception on the K3.

But, I notice that CONFIG; VFO LINK ON is not saved after the radio is
switched off. Is this the expected operation ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

John Lemay

Thanks Arie

My confusion has increased now !

Firstly I can confirm beyond doubt that CONFIG: VFO LINK "ON" is not retained on this radio when it is turned off.

Secondly, the handbook for the second RX says (p51) "To turn on diversity mode: hold SUB to set the sub receiver to the same frequency as the main". That simply does not work.

Lastly, if I set CONFIG: VFO LINK to on, and then engage diversity reception by holding SUB, the VFO LINK returns to off.

Is the radio broken, or the firmware at fault ?

Or did the previous owner set something in the menus that I've not discovered yet ?

Any other helpful suggestions please ?

BTW, nothing except 13v DC is connected to the radio.

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Op 20-6-2021 om 22:00 schreef John Lemay:
Hello all

Had fun in the 6m contest this weekend using 2 different yagis and diversity
reception on the K3.

But, I notice that CONFIG; VFO LINK ON is not saved after the radio is
switched off. Is this the expected operation ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Tom Doligalski W4KX

I suspect that the confusion involves a misunderstanding of how Elecraft has implemented diversity. When diversity in ON the only indication will be the blinking decimal point. BOTH receivers will be on the same frequency (indicated by VFO A), although the vFO B indication could be somewhere else.

That’s actually quite convenient, as it allows you to quickly qsy to a different frequency.

VFO LINK has nothing to do with it…

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:15 PM, John Lemay <john@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Let me give you an example. I’m checkec into a cw net on 7.112 using diversity. NCS sends two stations “up 5”, and they go. I suspect I will be sent up 5 next. I move VFO B up 5 (I can see it on the P3). When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.

After traffic is passed I hit A>B, and am right back on net frequency in diversity mode.

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Or another. I’m working S&P in a contest, working a weak one with diversity. I see “the next station to work” up 2 on my P3. I move VFO B up 2, and as soon as I am done with the first station I hit A>B: bam, I’m on the second station using diversity.

VFO LINK doesn’t have anything to do with this…

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:33 PM, Tom Doligalski <w4kx@mac.com> wrote:

Let me give you an example. I’m checkec into a cw net on 7.112 using diversity. NCS sends two stations “up 5”, and they go. I suspect I will be sent up 5 next. I move VFO B up 5 (I can see it on the P3). When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.

After traffic is passed I hit A>B, and am right back on net frequency in diversity mode.

Tom W4KX

Sent from my iPad

[...]

Michael Kopec

That is exactly how my K3s functions and is used for diversity rx. Split tx also functions for tx B vfo setpoint when in diversity rx. I like diversity rx especially on the lower freq bands. I also menu selected linking the AF&AFsub controls together. I find this quite handy for comparison purposes. (Read the manual-menu descriptions for more info) de Mike K8NS

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:33:19 PM EDT, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx@...> wrote:

Let me give you an example. I’m checkec into a cw net on 7.112 using diversity. NCS sends two stations “up 5”, and they go. I suspect I will be sent up 5 next. I move VFO B up 5 (I can see it on the P3). When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.

After traffic is passed I hit A>B, and am right back on net frequency in diversity mode.

Tom W4KX
> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I suspect that the confusion involves a misunderstanding of how Elecraft has implemented diversity. When diversity in ON the only indication will be the blinking decimal point. BOTH receivers will be on the same frequency (indicated by VFO A), although the vFO B indication could be somewhere else.
>
> That’s actually quite convenient, as it allows you to quickly qsy to a different frequency.
>
> VFO LINK has nothing to do with it…
>
> Tom W4KX
>> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:15 PM, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Arie
>>
>> My confusion has increased now !
>>
>> Firstly I can confirm beyond doubt that CONFIG: VFO LINK "ON" is not retained on this radio when it is turned off.
>>
>> Secondly, the handbook for the second RX says (p51) "To turn on diversity mode: hold SUB to set the sub receiver to the same frequency as the main". That simply does not work.
>>
>> Lastly, if I set CONFIG: VFO LINK to on, and then engage diversity reception by holding SUB, the VFO LINK returns to off.
>>
>> Is the radio broken, or the firmware at fault ?
>>
>> Or did the previous owner set something in the menus that I've not discovered yet ?
>>
>> Any other helpful suggestions please ?
>>
>> BTW, nothing except 13v DC is connected to the radio.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John G4ZTR

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Hi Mike!  I did the same thing on my K3. Unfortunately, this is not yet implemented on my K4.

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io <michaelkopec1@...> wrote:

That is exactly how my K3s functions and is used for diversity rx. Split tx also functions for tx B vfo setpoint when in diversity rx. I like diversity rx especially on the lower freq bands. I also menu selected linking the AF&AFsub controls together. I find this quite handy for comparison purposes. (Read the manual-menu descriptions for more info) de Mike K8NS
On Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:33:19 PM EDT, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx@...> wrote:

Let me give you an example. I’m checkec into a cw net on 7.112 using diversity. NCS sends two stations “up 5”, and they go. I suspect I will be sent up 5 next. I move VFO B up 5 (I can see it on the P3). When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.

After traffic is passed I hit A>B, and am right back on net frequency in diversity mode.

Tom W4KX
> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I suspect that the confusion involves a misunderstanding of how Elecraft has implemented diversity. When diversity in ON the only indication will be the blinking decimal point. BOTH receivers will be on the same frequency (indicated by VFO A), although the vFO B indication could be somewhere else.
>
> That’s actually quite convenient, as it allows you to quickly qsy to a different frequency.
>
> VFO LINK has nothing to do with it…
>
> Tom W4KX
>> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:15 PM, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Arie
>>
>> My confusion has increased now !
>>
>> Firstly I can confirm beyond doubt that CONFIG: VFO LINK "ON" is not retained on this radio when it is turned off.
>>
>> Secondly, the handbook for the second RX says (p51) "To turn on diversity mode: hold SUB to set the sub receiver to the same frequency as the main". That simply does not work.
>>
>> Lastly, if I set CONFIG: VFO LINK to on, and then engage diversity reception by holding SUB, the VFO LINK returns to off.
>>
>> Is the radio broken, or the firmware at fault ?
>>
>> Or did the previous owner set something in the menus that I've not discovered yet ?
>>
>> Any other helpful suggestions please ?
>>
>> BTW, nothing except 13v DC is connected to the radio.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John G4ZTR

John Lemay

Tom

Thank you. Having read your mail, and read, yet again, the manual, my confusion has evaporated ! That fact that VFO LINK is referred to in amongst the notes on Diversity had been the source of my misunderstanding.

Our use of diversity reception in the contest was pretty simple, but with useful results. A 5 ele yagi at about 10m and a 7 ele yagi at 20m on separate masts gave plenty of scope for different characteristics of reception and I can recommend it.

Thanks again for your help.

John G4ZTR

Op 20-6-2021 om 22:00 schreef John Lemay:
Hello all

Had fun in the 6m contest this weekend using 2 different yagis and diversity
reception on the K3.

But, I notice that CONFIG; VFO LINK ON is not saved after the radio is
switched off. Is this the expected operation ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Jim Brown

There are several interlinked functions. First, the K3 must be told that a SubRX is installed. Second, it must be activated with a single push of the SUB button. Third, audio must be put in 2-ch mode, so that the main RX is in the left ear (not both) and the Sub in the right. This is a
Menu setting. See the pages of tabulated menu settings. Finally, a long push of the SUB button turns on Diversity, with the blinking decimal point, as Tom has indicated.

Like I said earlier in this thread, RTFM, the whole thing. The Elecraft user interface is really well thought out. Once you've used menus to tell the radio what options are installed and how you want it to work (where your mic is plugged in, whether it needs bias, and so on) and adjusted settings like VOX, it's very rare to need to access menus. But you DO have to RTFM.

73, Jim K9YC

On 6/21/2021 9:33 AM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io wrote:
When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.
That's not Diversity, it's two VFOs. Diversity is two RX, one in each ear, connected to two different antennas, to counter the effect of selective fading.

73, Jim K9YC

Jim Brown

On 6/21/2021 10:44 AM, John Lemay wrote:
Our use of diversity reception in the contest was pretty simple, but with useful results. A 5 ele yagi at about 10m and a 7 ele yagi at 20m on separate masts gave plenty of scope for different characteristics of reception and I can recommend it.
EXACTLY! THAT'S diversity. The practice was developed nearly a century ago!

73, Jim K9YC

Tom Doligalski W4KX

Jim, you are not listening!

I am describing using diversity (2 receivers/2 antenna) on one frequency, and the qsy BOTH to another ala Elecraft.

Sorry, but you probably needed to read the entire email chain…

Tom W4KX

On 6/21/2021 11:28 AM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io wrote:
Jim, you are not listening!
I am describing using diversity (2 receivers/2 antenna) on one frequency, and the qsy BOTH to another ala Elecraft.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

73, Jim

Michael Kopec

Hello Tom, On 30 thru 160m I use vertical or inverted L antennas. For a selectable lower noise rx antenna or 2nd diversity antenna I use a tuned 110ft roof installed horz loop or a selectable amplified magnetic rx loop rotatable. That is about all I can do on my small HOA 65' x 90' lot hi de Mike K8NS

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 01:00:49 PM EDT, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx@...> wrote:

Hi Mike!  I did the same thing on my K3. Unfortunately, this is not yet implemented on my K4.

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io <michaelkopec1@...> wrote:

That is exactly how my K3s functions and is used for diversity rx. Split tx also functions for tx B vfo setpoint when in diversity rx. I like diversity rx especially on the lower freq bands. I also menu selected linking the AF&AFsub controls together. I find this quite handy for comparison purposes. (Read the manual-menu descriptions for more info) de Mike K8NS
On Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:33:19 PM EDT, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx@...> wrote:

Let me give you an example. I’m checkec into a cw net on 7.112 using diversity. NCS sends two stations “up 5”, and they go. I suspect I will be sent up 5 next. I move VFO B up 5 (I can see it on the P3). When NCS asks me to go up 5 I hit A>B, and instantly am in diversity mode up 5.

After traffic is passed I hit A>B, and am right back on net frequency in diversity mode.

Tom W4KX
> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Tom Doligalski W4KX via groups.io <w4kx=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I suspect that the confusion involves a misunderstanding of how Elecraft has implemented diversity. When diversity in ON the only indication will be the blinking decimal point. BOTH receivers will be on the same frequency (indicated by VFO A), although the vFO B indication could be somewhere else.
>
> That’s actually quite convenient, as it allows you to quickly qsy to a different frequency.
>
> VFO LINK has nothing to do with it…
>
> Tom W4KX
>> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:15 PM, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Arie
>>
>> My confusion has increased now !
>>
>> Firstly I can confirm beyond doubt that CONFIG: VFO LINK "ON" is not retained on this radio when it is turned off.
>>
>> Secondly, the handbook for the second RX says (p51) "To turn on diversity mode: hold SUB to set the sub receiver to the same frequency as the main". That simply does not work.
>>
>> Lastly, if I set CONFIG: VFO LINK to on, and then engage diversity reception by holding SUB, the VFO LINK returns to off.
>>
>> Is the radio broken, or the firmware at fault ?
>>
>> Or did the previous owner set something in the menus that I've not discovered yet ?
>>
>> Any other helpful suggestions please ?
>>
>> BTW, nothing except 13v DC is connected to the radio.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John G4ZTR

Jim Brown

On 6/21/2021 11:50 AM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:
Hello Tom, On 30 thru 160m I use vertical or inverted L antennas. For a selectable lower noise rx antenna or 2nd diversity antenna I use a tuned 110ft roof installed horz loop or a selectable amplified magnetic rx loop rotatable. That is about all I can do on my small HOA 65' x 90' lot
Back to fundamentals -- Diversity is NOT about low noise, it is about dealing with Selective Fading -- cancellation of the same signal that arrives at our antennas via different paths, and thus drift in and out of phase with each other. When the two arrivals are nearly equal but nearly 180 degrees out of phase, they cancel; when they are closer to in phase, they add. Because phase and time are directly related, their phase drifts in and out over time. This is the mechanism for what we call "selective fading" at lower frequencies (AM band, 160, 80, 40) and "picket fencing" with mobiles on VHF and UHF.

Diversity is a method of minimizing this problem by the use of two receivers, each fed by an antenna at different points in space. When cancellation is occurring at one antenna, it will usually not be at the other of the two antennas are separated by a significant fraction of a wavelength.

Noise rejection of an antenna is a good thing, but it has NOTHING to do with diversity. There is another technique called Noise Cancellation, where a noise sensing antenna is fed into circuitry that shifts the phase and tweaks the strength of the two signals so that they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other and equal in amplitude, thus cancelling the noise. This only works with noise sources from a single direction, because difference in travel time and field strength will be different for other sources.

Confusion about this has arisen because those who know more about writing code are ignorant of radio fundamentals, and have incorrectly used the word "diversity" to describe "noise cancellation" that they have implemented in SDRs with multiple inputs.

73, Jim K9YC

Michael Kopec

Dear Jim, please read my statement again. Maybe I worded it wrong. I use a vertical and a horz antenna for diversity. That IS receiving to different paths so to speaki. For LOW NOISE I also select NONE DIVERSITY RX antennas being either the low noise Mag rx loop or the Horz roof mounted loop. Thank you for the fundamentals. de Mike K8NS dit dit

On 6/21/2021 1:25 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:
Maybe I worded it wrong. I use a vertical and a horz antenna for diversity. That IS receiving to different paths so to speaki.
Yes and no. Yes, they have different horizontal and vertical patterns, so the signals they receive are less likely to be equal in magnitude (strength), and may also be a bit different phase, but likely less than what results from separation by a significant fraction of a wavelength.

For LOW
NOISE I also select NONE DIVERSITY RX antennas being either the low noise Mag rx loop or the Horz roof mounted loop.
Sounds good to me.

73, Jim K9YC

Tom Doligalski W4KX

For field day a few years ago I used a 40m 3 element wire beam headed west, and a dipole headed N/S. We cleaned up!

These days I don’t have the property. Got one directed N/S, and one headed west.

Diversity works great. Under qsb conditions signals seem to “rotate” between the two receivers.

Tom W4KX

On Jun 21, 2021, at 6:30 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
Or
On 6/21/2021 1:25 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:
Maybe I worded it wrong. I use a vertical and a horz antenna for diversity. That IS receiving to different paths so to speaki.
Yes and no. Yes, they have different horizontal and vertical patterns, so the signals they receive are less likely to be equal in magnitude (strength), and may also be a bit different phase, but likely less than what results from separation by a significant fraction of a wavelength.

For LOW
NOISE I also select NONE DIVERSITY RX antennas being either the low noise Mag rx loop or the Horz roof mounted loop.
Sounds good to me.

73, Jim K9YC

B Anderson

Jim

Thanks for the detailed explanation of diversity.

That was very educational

Bryce
K6TI