K3S/P3 and K3/0-Mini set up

Ken WR7D

I've read through everything I can find and I think I've just confused myself.

I recently acquired a K3S and even more recently acquired a K3/0-Mini. My plan is to use the K3/0-Mini in my house to connect to the K3S in the shop via the local LAN/Wifi network. I also received the RemoteRig set with the K3/0-Mini. It seems like the best option is to use both boxes to accomplish this. I know that the K30-Mini has a USB connection, but it appears that requires software on the control site computer to get it to work if the RemoteRig box isn't used.

If I do use the control site RemoteRig box, can I still connect the K3/0-Mini to the computer for logging? Can I still connect the P3 to the K3S (perhaps through the RemoteRig box) so that's still available when operating the K3S locally? A panadapter would be nice at the control site. It looks like the Win4K3Suite might be able to accomplish this, but not sure if using the RemoteRig boxes. It looks like there are Wifi add-on modules for the RemoteRig boxes so that would allow a Wifi connection that would solve the lack of regular Ethernet connections.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this all working? It just seems like a lot of effort and expense to get the Remote control working.

Thanks
Ken
WR7D

Colin Smithers

The Win4K3 suite cannot remote the K3/0 Mini. Its documentation suggests that it can, but the author told me he never completed this project.

I have had both Win4K3 and remoterig-K3/0 Mini solutions working and both can be made to work fine, but there are a few beartraps to each. I can’t speak for using the panadaptor.

73, Colin G4CWH

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Simmons via groups.io
Sent: 11 April 2021 02:32
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] K3S/P3 and K3/0-Mini set up

I've read through everything I can find and I think I've just confused myself.

I recently acquired a K3S and even more recently acquired a K3/0-Mini. My plan is to use the K3/0-Mini in my house to connect to the K3S in the shop via the local LAN/Wifi network. I also received the RemoteRig set with the K3/0-Mini. It seems like the best option is to use both boxes to accomplish this. I know that the K30-Mini has a USB connection, but it appears that requires software on the control site computer to get it to work if the RemoteRig box isn't used.

If I do use the control site RemoteRig box, can I still connect the K3/0-Mini to the computer for logging? Can I still connect the P3 to the K3S (perhaps through the RemoteRig box) so that's still available when operating the K3S locally? A panadapter would be nice at the control site. It looks like the Win4K3Suite might be able to accomplish this, but not sure if using the RemoteRig boxes. It looks like there are Wifi add-on modules for the RemoteRig boxes so that would allow a Wifi connection that would solve the lack of regular Ethernet connections.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this all working? It just seems like a lot of effort and expense to get the Remote control working.

Thanks
Ken
WR7D

David Perry

Ken,

I have been using RemoteRig boxes and two K3(0) minis for several years with excellent results.  You have already made the investment in dollars by purchasing the RemoteRigs and the K3(0) mini.  Now you just need to invest some time to get it all working.  Yes, it is somewhat confusing and involved to setup, but once you do, it works very reliably.  I will attempt to answer some of your specific questions:

1. Yes, the best option is to use both RemoteRig boxes.
2.  No, I do not believe you can use the USB connection of the K3(0) mini to control a remote K3 without using the RemoteRig boxes.
3.  If you use the control site RemoteRig box, several virtual com ports are created on the control site computer.  It is best to use one of those com ports for CAT control with logging software.
4.  Yes, as I recall I used to have a P3 connected to the remote K3 which I could use when I was at the remote site.  I cannot recall how I cabled between the P3 and the RemoteRig box at the remote site -- but I did purchase a Y-Box from N6TV to help in routing and sharing cables at the remote site.  He also makes an S-Box.  He will help you design specific cabling solutions depending on your needs.
5.  I use Win4K3Suite at the remote site, but not with the K3 used for remote connections.  I do not believe that product can stream video from the panadaptor.  According to Eric, it is possible to remotely stream video from a P3.  You need the SVGA add-on card.  You then connect a video cable from the card on the P3 to a 3rd party video sharing device.  You the connect to that video sharing device from you pc at the control site.  I cannot remember the make or brand of the video sharing device.  Something like D-Star.  Eric said they were available on Amazon or Ebay.  I never tried this solution, but may get around to it.
6.  Yes, one of my control side RemoteRig boxes has the Wifi module.  I used it recently to connect to my KY remote station from Florida using the Wifi available at a condo rental.  It works fine.  I typically prefer ethernet, however, if available.  But both will work.  I assume you can buy the WiFi modules directly from RemoteRig.

When not traveling, I use my second K3(0) mini to connect to my remote K3 when I am at the remote site!  This gives me two K3 operating positions at the remote site -- one for use when I am there at the site and the other typically for remoting in from home -- 10 miles away.  However, I often use the second K3(0) mini to operate the remote setup when also operating the main setup at the remote site -- if that makes sense.  The two positions are about 10 feet apart.  But the second K3(0) gives me full control of the remote position while I am sitting at the main operating position.  Works great.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions.  Good luck and have fun!

Dave, N4QS

Ken WR7D

Thanks for the info so far.

That's a shame about the Win4K3Suite, but that wasn't a necessary requirement.

I really don't use the logging software for CAT control. I mainly just use that connection so the band and freq are automatically entered into the log. It sounds like using the serial connection on the RemoteRig box is a better solution than connecting the K3/0-Mini to the computer. Am I reading that correctly?

I'm still reading through the RemoteRig stuff and I know there are lots of different settings in the boxes. Just need to connect all the dots.

David Perry

That video capture box that I mentioned is made by StarTech (not D Star).  It is available on Amazon for $180.  I have not tried this myself, but this is what Eric recommended at Visalia a couple of years ago.  Again, you need the SVGA card in the P3 which is hard to find these days.  73, Dave, N4QS  

Ed Pflueger

Dave I disconnected my P3 and have it in my car.  If you are going to be around I’ll drop it off later.  I’m assuming you have the cables.  My P3 has the Transmit monitor but I didn’t disconnect it since it’s ty-rapped under my desk in the garage.  If you need it you can call me, send smoke signals etc.  I’m going to eat lunch at the fire station in Lone Oak today.  Beginning to loosen up with the Pandemic stuff and I’m going in my sixth week after my second shot today.

Ed.. AB4IQ

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Perry
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 9:06 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S/P3 and K3/0-Mini set up

That video capture box that I mentioned is made by StarTech (not D Star).  It is available on Amazon for $180.  I have not tried this myself, but this is what Eric recommended at Visalia a couple of years ago.  Again, you need the SVGA card in the P3 which is hard to find these days.  73, Dave, N4QS  

Ken WR7D

I have a workable solution thanks to everyone. I am using both RemoteRig boxes. It took a bit of effort to get them to talk to each other between the house and shop, but I got that sorted out. I basically started with the K3 Remote manual from Elecraft and made a few changes.

There does seem to be an issue with the P3. When the P3 is connected to the K3S and the RemoteRig box is connected to the RS232 (PC port) on the P3, the P3 comes up normally, but the K3/0 Mini doesn't "connect". The power button works, but nothing else. It continues to say TERM in the VFO B display area. If I hold the Menu key for 5 seconds, it goes to NORM mode and then if I hold it for 5 seconds again, it switches back to TERM mode and everything works.

If I leave the P3 off, the K3/0 Mini starts fine. I also tried connecting the RemoteRig box directly to the K3S and the P3 to COMM 1 on the RemoteRig box. I tried several different settings for COMM 1, but the P3 would never get the frequency information.

I don't plan on streaming the P3 video at this point so I'm just going to change the Power On configuration of the P3 so it doesn't come on when the K3S is turned on. I don't think the Y-Box from N6TV would help in this situation.

It took a bit of work to get a straight key to function, but I found a post on the RemoteRig forum that helped with that.

I think the only issue I haven't solved is some noise coming from the K3/0 mini even with the volume turned down. This noise goes away if the network cable is disconnected. The volume also seems to be less if I use a shorter network cable. I'm hoping the Wifi option solves that.

Thanks
Ken
WR7D