Audio range

Alan Baker

Not exactly a K3 question, but a K3S will be the driver. :-)

I want to use a couple of old Creative I-Trigue bookshelf speakers as main speakers in the shack.
They will be driven by a BHI Parametric DSP unit which in turn will be driven by the audio output of the K3S on one channel and an online SDR (via a PC) on the other channel.

The speakers would normally be connected to a dedicated sub-woofer which uses bi-amplification for each speaker. One tailored for the tweeters and one tailored for the mid-range driver. I will not be using the sub-woofer as it's unnecessary for communications.

Because the tweeters and mid-range are fed separately, I need to design a cross-over circuit to feed them from the single channel source (obviously duplicated for the 2nd speaker).

The BHI unit is rated between 100Hz and 10KHz, but this range will also be limited by the range of the K3S.

My questions are:

Should I limit the frequency *range* of the entire crossover, or just let 'er rip and let the driving electronics take care of it?

What would be a sensible cross-over frequency? I've seen 1KHz suggested for comms and 2KHz suggested by hi-fi buffs.

I realise that it may be impossible to give absolute answers unless the characteristics of the speakers is known, but I gotta start somewhere. :-D

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Bob Evans

Alan,

Why are you not using BOTH of the K3S' channels through the DSP or both K3S channels and no DSP box...just the K3S' internal 8 band equalizer?  Apparently, you are shooting for diversity reception while using speakers?  You might be surprised how close to true diversity reception the binaural AFX setting sounds.  The K3S' internal DSP NR has a wide range of settings you might like too.  It just seems like the BHI DSP unit is a step down in audio flexibility (only 2 bands) from what's built into the K3S.  Also, if signals are so marginal that diversity is required, wouldn't headphones be a better choice anyway?

Just curious.  Maybe you're looking for a reason to build a speaker cross-over and that's plenty of justification for this experiment.  ;-)

GL es 73,
Bob K5WA