6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Chris Cox, N0UK

Wondering whether anyone else had experienced a 3.3 to 3.5mm adapter breaking apart IN the paddle Jackson a K3?
The tip and ring portion of the adapter are now stuck inside the paddle jack on th at radio.

Looking for any tips from others that may have experienced similar failures on how to remove the broken piece for the jack.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

Chris Cox, N0UK

That should of course read as 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 4:15 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <chrisc@chris.org> wrote:

Wondering whether anyone else had experienced a 3.3 to 3.5mm adapter breaking apart IN the paddle Jackson a K3?
The tip and ring portion of the adapter are now stuck inside the paddle jack on th at radio.

Looking for any tips from others that may have experienced similar failures on how to remove the broken piece for the jack.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

VE9AA - Mike

 This happened to us here 2 weeks ago, but not on a K3, but my sons old desktop computer.
My wife found a long, skinny pair of tweezers from her craft room and yanked the 3 parts out of the headphone jack in one go.

When I got home, I was very impressed. I probably would've stuck a thin wire or guitar string in there with a miniscule hook on it.

Something tells me this was a thread on the KX3 forum a couple weeks ago of this exact subject.

GL Chris

Mike

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 06:18 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK wrote:
hat should of course read as 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@...

Chris Cox, N0UK

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I’ll give that a try.

I have to admit that I haven’t been paying close attention the KX3 group of late since my change of focus to the K3!
That will probably change come July/August as I prepare to press the KX3 into service again as the 10GHz I/F!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 6:32 PM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

This happened to us here 2 weeks ago, but not on a K3, but my sons old desktop computer.
My wife found a long, skinny pair of tweezers from her craft room and yanked the 3 parts out of the headphone jack in one go.

When I got home, I was very impressed. I probably would've stuck a thin wire or guitar string in there with a miniscule hook on it.

Something tells me this was a thread on the KX3 forum a couple weeks ago of this exact subject.

GL Chris

Mike
On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 06:18 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK wrote:
hat should of course read as 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

VE9AA - Mike

GL Chris

Maybe see you on SIX this summer.

Mike

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 08:35 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I’ll give that a try.

I have to admit that I haven’t been paying close attention the KX3 group of late since my change of focus to the K3!
That will probably change come July/August as I prepare to press the KX3 into service again as the 10GHz I/F!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@...
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

Chris Cox, N0UK

Very possibly!
Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 7:42 PM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

GL Chris

Maybe see you on SIX this summer.

Mike

Jim Shepherd

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin.  Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US

Chris Cox, N0UK

Thanks for that suggestion, Jim.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Jim Shepherd <nvjims@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin. Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US

Chris Cox, N0UK

Quick update only broken plug problem.

The suggestion use a tap to remove the broken plug tip helped a little. It removed the plug ring and ring insulator, however, the tip of the plugs still trapped in the 1/4” (6.3mm) socket. What’s more, now the ring contact of the socket has sprung back open by a millimetre or two and is not very effectively blocking the extraction of the broken tip.

Word of caution:don’t buy 6.3to 3.5mm adapters from Amazon!

So even if I cannot a tool to engage with the tip, I think rather unlikely that I will also be able to get a second tool into the opening to then depress the ring contact out of the way.

Probably the easiest (note - didn’t say EASY!) option now is going to be to replace the actual paddle socket on the RF board.

In the meantime, at least the standard key jack is still functional and so I can use an external keyer or straight key to send.

Oh, what a palaver!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <chrisc@chris.org> wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion, Jim.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Jim Shepherd <nvjims@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin. Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US

VE9AA - Mike

Chris Cox, N0UK

Ah - skinnier than my tweezers!

Price seems very reasonable too.

Thanks Mike!
Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Mar 1, 2021, at 10:10 AM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

SKINNY TWEEZERS

VE9AA - Mike

Yeah, I don't know where my XYL got her "crafters tweezers" from, but pretty sure she could pick the antenna off a mosquito through a drinking straw from 1.5" away ;-)

HI

GL Chris.

Charlie T, k3ICH

Better idea yet.....Install a 3.5mm TRS plug on your earphones.

73, Charlie k3ICH

[...]

Sorry, should say....on your paddles, not earphones.