KX3 and utility

Larry

I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
system.

I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.

What do i do next?

Larry W0OGH

Brian K0DTJ

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning. It's a WIN 10
system.

I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago. After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
computer, just in case. Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
on the radio then running the utility. The program comes up ok, or at
least it seems to. however when i go to select a com port, nothing
shows up. The radio is operating properly as i can tell. What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up? Or do i get one at all with
the USB cable? Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.

What do i do next?

Larry W0OGH

Marc Veeneman

I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.
I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago. . What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up?
Search for and download an FTDI driver for Windows. Then convince Windows that you really, really, want it installed. If you are relentless enough, often enough, COM3 will appear and the Elecraft program “just works”.

Mac and Linux users don’t have this problem because the driver was included with the operating system. In fact it is part of the Linux kernel.

73,
Marc K8ILB

Bob - KA9MDP

I just helped a friend work through this one yesterday.

Open the Device Manager on your Win 10 system. Make sure you are launching the application with an account that has Administrator rights. Is there a triangle with a yellow exclamation under Other Devices? If so...
  1. Right-click on it
  2. Select Update Driver
  3. Select Search automatically for drivers
  4. Select Search for updated drivers on Windows Update
  5. Select View optional updates
  6. Select Driver updates
  7. Locate the driver for your cable (might have FTDI in the title)
  8. Select the check box next to the driver you want to install
  9. Select Download and Install
Once that process is complete, go back to the Device Manager. Has your driver updated and your cable connection is now listed under Ports (COM & LPT)? If so, the COM port will be listed there.

If that process did not resolve the driver issue, go back to your Windows Update page in Settings, select Check for updates, then run through the process again starting at step 5.

73 de Bob | KA9MDP

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:15 AM Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
system.

I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.

What do i do next?

Larry W0OGH

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I run Windows 10Pro 64 bit.   I find the driver automatically loads when the device is plugged in.

73 Bob

K4TAX

On 2/1/2021 12:32 PM, Marc Veeneman wrote:

I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.
I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago. . What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up?
Search for and download an FTDI driver for Windows. Then convince Windows that you really, really, want it installed. If you are relentless enough, often enough, COM3 will appear and the Elecraft program “just works”.

Mac and Linux users don’t have this problem because the driver was included with the operating system. In fact it is part of the Linux kernel.

73,
Marc K8ILB

https://www.avg.com

Larry

For some reason that didn't happen here.  Maybe i should go an download
it again.  I thought it a bit strange that no com port would show up.
Looking in device manager, no com ports are shown at all.  what have i
got here?

Larry W0OGH

On 2/1/2021 4:00 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I run Windows 10Pro 64 bit.   I find the driver automatically loads
when the device is plugged in.

73 Bob

K4TAX

On 2/1/2021 12:32 PM, Marc Veeneman wrote:

I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.
I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
years ago. .  What do i
need to do to get a com port to show up?
Search for and download an FTDI driver for Windows.  Then convince
Windows that you really, really, want it installed.  If you are
relentless enough, often enough, COM3 will appear and the Elecraft
program “just works”.

Mac and Linux users don’t have this problem because the driver was
included with the operating system.  In fact it is part of the Linux
kernel.

73,
Marc K8ILB

Larry

I looked in there.  There is nothing shown indicating any sort of com port. NADA Plugging the usb cable in and removing it, I see nothing change.
Larry

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
> system.
>
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
> computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
> on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
> least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
> shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
> the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.
>
> What do i do next?
>
> Larry W0OGH

Bob - KA9MDP

Is anything listed under "Other Devices"?

With the USB cable plugged in -- right-click on the name of your computer (at the top) in Device Mangler then select "Scan for hardware changes".

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
I looked in there.  There is nothing shown indicating any sort of com port. NADA Plugging the usb cable in and removing it, I see nothing change.
Larry

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
> system.
>
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
> computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
> on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
> least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
> shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
> the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.
>
> What do i do next?
>
> Larry W0OGH

Larry

Under other devices it shows a FT@#@R USB UART.  Scanning for hardware changes is quick with nothing being returned as having been found.

Same thing when i scan for hardware changes  with a right click on the laptop name.

When i plug the radio in to the only available USB port, only have two and one is for the wireless internet connection, the computer sees the connection.  Doesn't matter what i plug into that port it gives me the little tones saying i see that.  But i don't see anything else whether looking at USB ports, other devices etc.

If i go to one of the WEBsdr sites i have plenty of audio and a good screen display.  If i go listen to music at SiriusXM i have good audio.  Just nothing from the KX3 and no indication that i have a connection with the radio.  Elecraft Tech support, have any ideas?

Can't make the utility program run without being able to see a com port.  Maybe there is something with this version of WIN 10?  Do other users of WIN 10 see com ports?    I am stumped.

Larry W0OGH

On 2/1/2021 5:51 PM, Bob - KA9MDP wrote:
Is anything listed under "Other Devices"?

With the USB cable plugged in -- right-click on the name of your computer (at the top) in Device Mangler then select "Scan for hardware changes".

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
I looked in there.  There is nothing shown indicating any sort of com port. NADA Plugging the usb cable in and removing it, I see nothing change.
Larry

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
> system.
>
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
> computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
> on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
> least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
> shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
> the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.
>
> What do i do next?
>
> Larry W0OGH

Larry

The problem is that I only have 1 headset jack on the computer.  Apparently it's a tres.  I have to come up with a trrs plug that then breaks out to a jack for the headset mic and another jack for the ears.  I have two ways to get audio out and in.  One I just described and the other is bias a usb port which is the one I wanted to use but so far no luck.  I'm  still playing with getting together what I need.  The kx3 only has one jack and that's " phones".
I thank you for your suggestions.
Larry/w0ogh

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
> system.
>
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
> computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
> on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
> least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
> shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
> the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.
>
> What do i do next?
>
> Larry W0OGH

Larry

I did that and now com 3 shows up in the com port box but its greyed out so the utility still doesn't run on the laptop.  If I run the interface cable over to my Win 7 machine it works just fine.  Problem in the win 1p machine, h p laptop.
Larry/w0ogh

> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago. .  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?

Search for and download an FTDI driver for Windows.  Then convince Windows that you really, really, want it installed.  If you are relentless enough, often enough, COM3 will appear and the Elecraft program “just works”.

Mac and Linux users don’t have this problem because the driver was included with the operating system.  In fact it is part of the Linux kernel.

73,
Marc K8ILB

Brian K0DTJ

You can buy ‘Y’ cables on Amazon that have a TRRS to two TRS. I have one with a cheap headset I use with my KX2 and Dell laptop. But the catch is that there at least two flavors having different TRRS pin outs depending on computer vendor. A search on Wikipedia may give you an answer. Or a Google search on TRRS pin out. And of course the correct genders on each end. Not an easy find.

73, Brian, K0DTJ

On Feb 13, 2021, at 18:27, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

The problem is that I only have 1 headset jack on the computer.  Apparently it's a tres.  I have to come up with a trrs plug that then breaks out to a jack for the headset mic and another jack for the ears.  I have two ways to get audio out and in.  One I just described and the other is bias a usb port which is the one I wanted to use but so far no luck.  I'm  still playing with getting together what I need.  The kx3 only has one jack and that's " phones".
I thank you for your suggestions.
Larry/w0ogh

Use the Win device manager to see if it creates a comm port. Plug and unplug the usb cable to see if it comes and goes. Make sure port speeds are set the same between the computer and the utility. GL! de K0DTJ

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:15, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the KX3 utility into my laptop this morning.  It's a WIN 10
> system.
>
> I also have the KXUSB cable that came with the KX3 when i bought it 2
> years ago.  After downloading the utility program i rebooted the
> computer, just in case.  Plugging the cable into the USB port and ACC1
> on the radio then running the utility.  The program comes up ok, or at
> least it seems to.  however when i go to select a com port, nothing
> shows up.  The radio is operating properly as i can tell.  What do i
> need to do to get a com port to show up?  Or do i get one at all with
> the USB cable?  Won't connect until i put or get something in that box.
>
> What do i do next?
>
> Larry W0OGH

n7wy

Page 5 of the KX3 manual shows a phones jack and a MIC jack.  The MIC jack can be used with a TRS mic connector if the mic button feature is disabled in the MIC BTN menu.  At least that is how I do it using a Heil ProSet with an electret element, bias turned on the MIC BIAS menu.

Bob R

Kent AA6P

Thanks all for the helpful information.

Does anyone know if Elecraft has delivered different KXUSB cables starting in 2012 that require different drivers?

A friend of mine has an unmarked KXUSB cable delivered by Elecraft in 2012. A Windows 7 system has not been able to find or install a working driver.

Thanks, Kent
AA6P

k7sss@...

Kent,
The Elecraft KXUSB sold or furnished with KX2, KX3, and XG3 is a FTDI chip. There is a link for a driver on the KX3 firmware page also on the KX2 and XG3 firmware pages. My KXUSB cables are unmarked. Early on 2007/8 Elecraft used a PROLIFIC Chip that was touchy on K3 cable. Many bad copies.
73
Jim H
K7SSS

In a message dated 2/22/2021 11:00:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, kawill70@... writes:

Does anyone know if Elecraft has delivered different KXUSB cables starting in 2012 that require different drivers?

A friend of mine has an unmarked KXUSB cable delivered by Elecraft in 2012. A Windows 7 system has not been able to find or install a working driver.

Thanks, Kent
AA6P

Kent AA6P

Jim,

Thanks for the help.

It would be interesting to know if the FTDI chip had revisions along the way. That would have added a variable. The release notes for the FTDI driver show many revisions so that is another variable.

Windows driver support would likely be another. Lastly, we have the USB implementation on a given PC including hardware and drivers for both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

Here is an Elecraft thread with an interesting comment that I quoted below.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Fake-FTDI-chips-td7587050.html

"Recently I had to put an adapter labeled as an FTDI product in service. Win 7 did not recognize it even with the proper Win 7 driver. I contacted FTDI Tech Support and found out that the device was in fact a genuine FTDI product but a batch had gone out with a firmware defect that they later corrected in the driver. All it required was to check the appropriate box on the driver properties panel in Win 7. Works like a charm now."

It's not clear if the firmware defect was in the FTDI chip or elsewhere on the adapter. I found a block diagram of the FTDI chip and there is an internal EEPROM. In looking at one of the datasheets, the FTDI chips can work with either internal or external EEPROM.

Quite a few amateurs have had difficulty with the KXUSB interface so I was just trying to list some of the possibilities.

73, Kent
AA6P

Kent AA6P

Larry,

The FTDI website has an Application Note for Windows 7 with all kinds of helpful information including troubleshooting. That application note should apply to Windows 10 as well. Look for AN_119.

Note that there are separate sections on the website for Application Notes and Installation Guides. The Installation Guide for Windows 10 is AN_396.

https://ftdichip.com/document/application-notes/

https://ftdichip.com/document/installation-guides/

It looks like there are three ways to install the driver. Ideally, Windows does the installation automatically. If a manual installation is required, it involves two separate driver installations. Those include the Bus Layer and the Virtual COM Port Layer.

Lastly, FTDI provides a setup.exe file that combines both driver installations. Look for the setup executable on the righthand side of the driver web page.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Note that the Device Manager can be configured to show non-present devices and hidden devices. That is covered in AN_119.

There is a lot of information online about the FTDI FT232R chip as it is also used in Raspberry Pi and Arduino systems. If you choose to delete any existing drivers followed by a clean installation, I saw a recommendation to delete all existing FTDI files in the DriverStore FileRepository. Those files would be stored in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository.

73, Kent
AA6P