FS - K3 / K4 RearPanel Microphone Adapter

Mike Kopacki

Andy, if you still have it, can you confirm it also works with the K3S?  Can you send a pic of the ends?  Where did you get it from?

I’m a new K3S owner and would like to use that rear panel mic jack!

Thanks,
Mike NJ2OM

On Feb 5, 2021, at 10:09 AM, andrew vavra via groups.io <avavra1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I have 1 microphone adapter cablee remaining.

This one connects to the rear panel Mic & PTT inputs and allows you to connect your 8-pin microphone to the rear inputs instead of the front.  It is approximately 18 inches long.

$10 + $2 for postage.

Contact me here or off list at my callsign via the ARRL.net eMail reflector

-- Andy, KD3RF

andrew vavra

Mike:

It's been taken.

I made it myself with an inline 8-pin female Foster connector, a 2 conductor TRS plug (for microphone audio & bias), and a RCA plug (for PTT.)

Actually very simple to make following the documentation in the Elecraft manual for the K Line radios (K3, K3S, K4)

It would be compatible across the entire product line, as Elecraft did not change their microphone wiring (front or rear panel) between the K3 series and the K4.

This is the mating connector for the microphone end of the cable if you want to make your own:

https://www.amazon.com/OPEK-METAL-INLINE-MICROPHONE-CONNECTOR/dp/B01MT14NXM/ref=sr_1_23?crid=RW8OQJQ1F020&dchild=1&keywords=8+pin+microphone+connector+male&qid=1612788102&sprefix=8+pin+male+microphone+connector%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-23

Mike Kopacki

Thanks, Andrew. I will probably make one.

Thanks,
Mike NJ2OM

On Feb 8, 2021, at 8:19 AM, andrew vavra via groups.io <avavra1@...> wrote:

Mike:

It's been taken.

I made it myself with an inline 8-pin female Foster connector, a 2 conductor TRS plug (for microphone audio & bias), and a RCA plug (for PTT.)

Actually very simple to make following the documentation in the Elecraft manual for the K Line radios (K3, K3S, K4)

It would be compatible across the entire product line, as Elecraft did not change their microphone wiring (front or rear panel) between the K3 series and the K4.

This is the mating connector for the microphone end of the cable if you want to make your own:

https://www.amazon.com/OPEK-METAL-INLINE-MICROPHONE-CONNECTOR/dp/B01MT14NXM/ref=sr_1_23?crid=RW8OQJQ1F020&dchild=1&keywords=8+pin+microphone+connector+male&qid=1612788102&sprefix=8+pin+male+microphone+connector%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-23

Mike Kopacki

And you’re saying that there is something I’m the manual that describes how to make the adapter?

Thanks,
Mike NJ2OM

On Feb 8, 2021, at 8:28 AM, Mike Kopacki via groups.io <mikekopacki@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't see anything in the K3S manual.  I'll look on the website.

Chuck ke9uw

He just means the pinout is in the manual and you can take it from there.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

You will need to use the pinout info for the front mike connector and the rear panel mic connector along with the mating connector you have  and figure out how i should be wired.   There are no specific instructions on how to create one.

On 2/8/2021 8:37 AM, Mike Kopacki wrote:
I don't see anything in the K3S manual.  I'll look on the website.

Mike Kopacki

Thanks, guys. I just posted another question on this topic....

Thanks,
Mike NJ2OM