Two help needs on my K3 i hope there is an easy answer

Mac Jedi

First help need...  Does the K3 transmit on both Antenna 1 and 2?  If so how do I select antenna 2 to transmit on?  I can select either for receive but I don't know how to select for transmit?

Now for the real problem...  I had a friend over and he couldn't get the mic to engage transmit so he suggested a factory reset.  So we did.  Guess what?  This unit had a lot of installed extras.  Everything zeroed out and it has lost all calibrations done during install of the addons.  I at least got the unit out of minimum transmit power and back to 100 watts but I don't know how to get everything back online and calibrated correctly?

I am kind of new to Elecraft as in had the radio a few years but didn't use much and then after the reset used as basic without everything working.  Well there it is...  is it hopeless? or is there easily followed step to get all installed modules back working properly?  I am pretty technical just not familiar with recalibrating and reinitializing Elecraft K3 modules installed.

* On 2021 24 Jan 03:25 -0600, Mac Jedi wrote:
First help need...  Does the K3 transmit on both Antenna 1 and 2?  If
so how do I select antenna 2 to transmit on?  I can select either for
receive but I don't know how to select for transmit?
Not at the same time that I'm aware of. It will transmit on whichever
one is selected, even operating in diversity mode with a second receiver
installed.

Now for the real problem...  I had a friend over and he couldn't get
the mic to engage transmit so he suggested a factory reset.  So we
did.  Guess what?  This unit had a lot of installed extras.
Everything zeroed out and it has lost all calibrations done during
install of the addons.  I at least got the unit out of minimum
transmit power and back to 100 watts but I don't know how to get
everything back online and calibrated correctly?
Ouch! Did you happen to have the configuration saved via the K3 utility
first? It sounds like the K3 was in Test mode.

I am kind of new to Elecraft as in had the radio a few years but
didn't use much and then after the reset used as basic without
everything working.  Well there it is...  is it hopeless? or is there
easily followed step to get all installed modules back working
properly?  I am pretty technical just not familiar with recalibrating
and reinitializing Elecraft K3 modules installed.
You might need to open up the radio and do a manual inventory of the
installed options. Then refer to the manual of each for settings.

It's really little different than having put the radio together from a
kit. The downside is the custom settings were lost and the upside is
that you'll be more familiar with the radio and the K3 Utility. You'll
also be more confident in testing various settings and eventually making
the radio the right one for you.

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

David Ferrington, M0XDF

The manual is available on Elecraft’s web site.

-73 de M0XDF

On 24 Jan 2021, at 10:19, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...> wrote:

[...]

David M

Hopefully, you have a configuration file saved with the K3 utility, because you have also cleared all of the factory calibration data for the base radio as well, not just the option settings.   As you now have found out the hard way,  the EEINIT is only for major problems.   There's a lot of minor reasons why you couldn't get PTT to work on the mic (line in selected, radio was in VOX, transmit test mode) which would have been easily checked going through the manual.

If you don't have a configuration file saved,  then I would contact Elecraft, give them the serial number, and see if they can send you one.  At least that will restore the factory calibration data.  From there, you can re-enable the options.

Good luck...   David AJ4TF

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

By sending an e-mail to Elecraft you should be able to get the factory configuration.   That will get you to the original point.  If things have been added in the field, then the manual will guide you in the default settings.   Choose each of those.     As I always say  RTFM .  It is well worth your time.   There are pages in the back that give all of the default values.  Use them.

Then make a backup of the configuration using the K3 Utility which is available from Elecraft.

On 1/24/2021 1:51 AM, Mac Jedi wrote:
[...]

Jim AC0E

B4 resetting the box you made a configuration BACKUP first right?
73
Jim AC0E

VE9AA - Mike

You need a new friend ! ;-)

J/K--but that would've been my absolute last resort "Mac Jedi"

Mike VE9AA

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 05:24 AM, Mac Jedi wrote:
I had a friend over and he couldn't get the mic to engage transmit so he suggested a factory reset.  So we did.  Guess what?

Keith_WE6R <keithtrinity@...>

Hi Mac;
It will TX on Ant 1 or 2, whichever you have selected.

We might have a backup of the config at Elecraft, send me the serial number, keith@...
You MUST do the TX gain cal since you EE INIT-ed it.
Use the K3 Utility, it will make it WAY easier to setup the filters too.
Hopefully, if you have a sub receiver, the stickers will have the correct filter info.

FYI to all, resetting the radio, Parameter Reset, EE-INIT, and/OR re-loading the Firmware is the one of the -last- things you want to do if you have a problem.
Keith WE6R K3 Tech

KE1F Lou

Keith,

I am not planning to do any of these nasty things to my K3 . BUT.

Is there a way to back up everything and put it on a CD for unlikely emergency?😁

73, Lou KE1F

On 1/24/2021 8:34 PM, Keith_WE6R wrote:
Hi Mac;
It will TX on Ant 1 or 2, whichever you have selected.

We might have a backup of the config at Elecraft, send me the serial number, keith@...
You MUST do the TX gain cal since you EE INIT-ed it.
Use the K3 Utility, it will make it WAY easier to setup the filters too.
Hopefully, if you have a sub receiver, the stickers will have the correct filter info.

FYI to all, resetting the radio, Parameter Reset, EE-INIT, and/OR re-loading the Firmware is the one of the -last- things you want to do if you have a problem.
Keith WE6R K3 Tech

Alan Baker - G4GNX

Use the K3 Utility.

CD's are getting a bit dated - how about a USB thumb drive? Small ones are so cheap.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

I am not planning to do any of these nasty things to my K3 . BUT.

Is there a way to back up everything and put it on a CD for unlikely emergency?😁

73, Lou KE1F

john ni0k

Long-term backup on CDs is a bad idea. Self-burned CDs have a limited life. Thumb drives (USB stick) and multiple copies in different locations (off-site backup) are the way to go. Lots of info on the web.

-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K

Alan Baker wrote on 1/25/2021 8:01 AM:

Use the K3 Utility.

CD's are getting a bit dated - how about a USB thumb drive? Small ones are so cheap.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

I am not planning to do any of these nasty things to my K3 . BUT.

Is there a way to back up everything and put it on a CD for unlikely emergency?😁

73, Lou KE1F

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Certainly nothing wrong with using a USB thumb drive.........but what about the rest of your data, your applications, your log files and such?   I use an external USB Solid State drive and back up my computer on a regular basis.   It runs automatically based on the schedule I have chosen {once per week}  and it backs up changed files on a daily basis.  These are available in large capacity for a reasonable price.   From that one can recover a single file or the entire computer including the radio files.

Of course if your files and configurations aren't important......don't bother.    But one of these days, you will regret it.

On 1/25/2021 8:01 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
Use the K3 Utility.

CD's are getting a bit dated - how about a USB thumb drive? Small ones are so cheap.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

I am not planning to do any of these nasty things to my K3 . BUT.

Is there a way to back up everything and put it on a CD for unlikely emergency?😁

73, Lou KE1F

Gordon LaPoint

What software do you use to do the backups?
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

On 1/25/2021 9:38 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

[...]

ANDY NEHAN

Windows 10 Pro has the ability to auto save changes to files, mine is set to keep for 1year and save every 10 minutes. They are saved to a NAS drive. Handy if, rare occasion, I make a change and realise a couple of days later I want to go back to a prior version.

Andy G4HUE

I am not planning to do any of these nasty things to my K3 . BUT.

Is there a way to back up everything and put it on a CD for unlikely emergency?😁

73, Lou KE1F

I use the Windows 10 Pro application.    The solid state drive is one I purchased from Amazon for about $100.  I recall it is 500GB, could be larger.

On 1/25/2021 8:56 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
[...]

I only mentioned a USB drive as an alternative to a CD and only for a backup of the K3. I wasn't thinking of a total data backup.

For everything else I use my network server, which I trust much more than portable devices.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Certainly nothing wrong with using a USB thumb drive.........but what about the rest of your data, your applications, your log files and such?   I use an external USB Solid State drive and back up my computer on a regular basis.   It runs automatically based on the schedule I have chosen {once per week}  and it backs up changed files on a daily basis.  These are available in large capacity for a reasonable price.   From that one can recover a single file or the entire computer including the radio files.

Of course if your files and configurations aren't important......don't bother.    But one of these days, you will regret it.

Wes Stewart

Good grief, he's backing up a radio config file.  The CD will probably outlast the  radio.

Wes  N7WS

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 06:22 AM, john ni0k wrote:
Long-term backup on CDs is a bad idea. Self-burned CDs have a limited life. Thumb drives (USB stick) and multiple copies in different locations (off-site backup) are the way to go. Lots of info on the web.

-de John NI0K

n7wy

To avoid using a USB jack, I plugged a 512 GB microSD card in an adapter into the slot on the side of my HP Envy laptop.  It is always installed since protrudes only 4 mm out the side of the laptop keyboard.
Bob - N7WY

Bill Mader

As has been mentioned elsewhere, off-site storage works best.  Leaving the micro SD card (or similar devices) in or attached to the computer is convenient, but should a transient of some sort damage the computer, it could also damage the card.  I recommend using two so one is apart from the computer.  If data are important, use off-site by the means you prefer is best.  Google and Microsoft offer free cloud storage.  Configuration and log files are tiny.  Space for them is not the issue.

I have experienced a corrupted K3 configuration during the decade plus I have owned K3's.  I don't leave the house without a back-up.  That and a dummy load to accomplish a TX gain calibration have saved my bacon.  Who doesn't like bacon?

73, Bill, K8TE

David Ferrington, M0XDF

I would recommend ‘Backblaze Personal  Backup’ - backup into a cloud. Been using it for many years with my Mac, but it works for PC too.
It’s one of 3 backups that I keep - Backblaze, Apple Time Machine and DVD storage of Photo’s (off all the things I would not want to loose, photos is it). Backblaze is at cloud-backup.html

I am not associated with Backblaze, other than being a very happy customer.

73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are
invented nonsense. -Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author (1907-1988)