From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mel Marcus
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 1:21 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] K4 vs Flex

All

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

Mel

NE9A

bill steffey NY9H

On 11/7/2020 2:21 PM, Mel Marcus wrote:
All

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

buy the k4    i did
If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

i will
Mel
NE9A

Avast logo

Charlie T, k3ICH

I won’t go into the details, but I would ONLY consider buying the K4 vs. any Flex offering

I’ll be ordering one as soon as the “kit” price is announced since I’m really cheap.

No question for me…..I’ve had a couple Flex’s (1500. 6300 & 6500) and I’m cured;  no more Flex 4 me.

73, Charlie k3ICH

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

buy the k4    i did

If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

i will

Mel

NE9A

Avast logo

Scott Small AD6YT

It depends on your priorities.

Disclaimer: I prepaid a K4D in full, eventually got a refund when it felt I wasn't getting either honesty or delivery. Have been largely off the air while I try to make a similar decision, other than a little ft8 on my kx3 (of which I am still fond)

Pros for the K4:
It is nice. I was impressed by the limited time I had with a prototype.
I have full faith, even now, that Wayne's engineering will someday deliver an excellently performing unit.
Elecraft as a vendor is all about the ham
Superior for CW

Pros for Flex:
You will have it a year sooner
Pricing likely a bit cheaper
Larger outfit supporting it
Confidence it will ship

Tossup:
Mac support for SDR - right now, this probably goes to Flex via 3rd party software

If you are a Windows-using CW operator who is in utterly no rush, K4 seems promising.

If you are strictly SSB, and want something to plug into your Mac this December, Flex is your only option.

Good luck finding what fits your needs best.
73

Scott
AD6YT

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020, 11:21 AM Mel Marcus <melm@...> wrote:
All

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

Mel
NE9A

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

I bought a K3S because I didn't want to be tied to a computer even though 90% of what I do is digital modes.   Sometimes a guy just wants to sit down and spin a knob.

And a week later I found out about the Maestro system.

If I had to do it again, Flex all the way.   I love my K3S.  It's awesome, it's portable.  I use it for FD and WFD, and use it with external transverters, etc.  I really love it.  I bet I would've really loved that Flex more!

-Bob

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 12:21 PM Mel Marcus <melm@...> wrote:
All

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

Mel
NE9A

Bill Maddock

I still love my 2 K3 radios and have no intention on selling them anytime soon. I have all the upgrades, so I’m pretty well set. I looked at the K4 , but I also looked at the Flex. I purchased a 6600 without the Maestro. I also use a 43 inch 4K monitor with it. It’s very easy to use and I have no regrets. Being able to cut the RF gain on 160 and 80 makes it easier to tolerate and doesn’t impact S meter reading. Looking forward to 160 and 10 meter contests this year.

On Sunday, November 8, 2020, 10:54 AM, redarlington <rdarlington@...> wrote:

I bought a K3S because I didn't want to be tied to a computer even though 90% of what I do is digital modes.   Sometimes a guy just wants to sit down and spin a knob.

And a week later I found out about the Maestro system.

If I had to do it again, Flex all the way.   I love my K3S.  It's awesome, it's portable.  I use it for FD and WFD, and use it with external transverters, etc.  I really love it.  I bet I would've really loved that Flex more!

-Bob

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 12:21 PM Mel Marcus <melm@...> wrote:
All

I know this is a dumb question to ask here but i am going to do it anyway:

If you had a choice of purchasing a K4 or a Flex right now. What would you do and why?

If you chose the K4 would you order int Kat4 with it?

Mel
NE9A

Bill Mader

No more soup either?

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.  Other times I am asleep.

73, Bill, K8TE

Bill Maddock

Soup? Lol

On Sunday, November 8, 2020, 2:01 PM, Bill Mader <billamader@...> wrote:

No more soup either?

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.  Other times I am asleep.

73, Bill, K8TE

Ted VE3TRQ

Sometimes a guy just wants to sit down and spin a knob.
The Flex 6600M gave me just that - knobs and a nice big panadapter display, especially when connected to an HDMI monitor. Don’t get me wrong, I love my K3/P3, and I use both radios, but the 6600M with built in panadapter is actually more portable than the K3/P3 combo. And I can run digital modes from the kitchen, the back deck, or the den.

Ted VE3TRQ

W2XJ

Please quote some of the thread so there is context.
Thanks