K3 K3S Parts

Bob DeHaney

Elecraft has on-line form to fill out if you want to buy various spares.  They then will be manufactured according to demand.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

Bob Hammond G4DBW

Another thought on this one .... once the K4 starts rolling off the production line in significant numbers, I would predict we will see more K3 and K3S appear on the second hand market. Will owners separate out the extras from the basic K3 K3S and sell thiese as stand alone boards/ filters ? 

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

Bob G4DBW

Gerard <scanneg@...>

Bob, that has nothing to do with customer support.  A K3 and K3S should have full support for 10-20yrs.   They are not disposable radios. I'm if I had a Maserati, Ferrari I'd expect the best parts and service Is Elecraft a street company or top range. 😁

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 15:47 Bob Hammond G4DBW via groups.io, <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Another thought on this one .... once the K4 starts rolling off the production line in significant numbers, I would predict we will see more K3 and K3S appear on the second hand market. Will owners separate out the extras from the basic K3 K3S and sell thiese as stand alone boards/ filters ? 

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

Bob G4DBW

gt0hof@...

Elecraft should supply spare part for the K3/K3s for at least 10 years after production ends. If these transceivers were cars they WILL have spares for 10 years after the model has gone out of production. In Germany it is law to have spare for 10 years for cars. Are Elecraft just in it for the money? I hope not. As Bob has said these are NOT throw away items. I spent over £5000 4 years ago and if I can’t get spares to repair my K3s I’ll be pissed off to say the least. I would love to have a K4, but I’m retired and have limited funds now I’m not working and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Ken B G0HOF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 06 November 2020 23:26
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3 K3S Parts

Bob, that has nothing to do with customer support.  A K3 and K3S should have full support for 10-20yrs.   They are not disposable radios. I'm if I had a Maserati, Ferrari I'd expect the best parts and service Is Elecraft a street company or top range. 😁

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 15:47 Bob Hammond G4DBW via groups.io, <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Bob G4DBW

Richard Smith

Can’t wait for K5 to come out.  Get me a nice K4.  :)  RAS

On Nov 6, 2020, at 7:24 PM, gt0hof@... wrote:

Elecraft should supply spare part for the K3/K3s for at least 10 years after production ends. If these transceivers were cars they WILL have spares for 10 years after the model has gone out of production. In Germany it is law to have spare for 10 years for cars. Are Elecraft just in it for the money? I hope not. As Bob has said these are NOT throw away items. I spent over £5000 4 years ago and if I can’t get spares to repair my K3s I’ll be pissed off to say the least. I would love to have a K4, but I’m retired and have limited funds now I’m not working and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Ken B G0HOF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 06 November 2020 23:26
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3 K3S Parts

Bob, that has nothing to do with customer support.  A K3 and K3S should have full support for 10-20yrs.   They are not disposable radios. I'm if I had a Maserati, Ferrari I'd expect the best parts and service Is Elecraft a street company or top range. 😁

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 15:47 Bob Hammond G4DBW via groups.io, <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Bob G4DBW 

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Most car parts today are "after market parts".   Rarely does a company have factory parts available after 3 to 5 years.  Factory tooling and retooling prevents this from taking place.   Maybe Maserati, Ferrari or Lamborghini can keep original parts but it is likely the reason they charge $250K to $500K for their vehicles. That's a bit different than my Chevrolet to which I paid $65K, and that was and inexpensive one.   Many original parts are not available but are after market parts.   Plus, I find factory parts are very expensive and understand the reason for that fact.

If a company buys a custom part and the supplier of that custom part closes its doors, which is often the case, where is one to turn?   I've seen companies discontinue parts while a product was still in the  design cycle.  Quantity demand drives the business.   We must realize in the scope of electronics, ham radio is a very small business, looking at the overall parts demand. Plus it is a hobby, unlike the cell phone  business or the medical equipment business.  It is an issue of perspective.   In other words  "mine is most important" regardless of the price.  So you spent $12K on your ham station.  That's lunch money compared to much of the equipment in a single cell site.  Sure I know you stretched the family budget for that radio.  I did too, digging into some of my retirement funds,  but I can afford it and I do enjoy my Elecraft K3S station and associated support equipment. Otherwise, I would have purchased a $1200  transceiver and resurrected an old Heath amplifier and be done with it.    Oh, there is no factory support or service for either of those items.

So with the USB card failure, most instances are the result of nearby lightning strikes causing a voltage step between the radio and the computer.  How does one assure, from the companies point of view, the unit will not fail under those conditions?   They can't control the installation site parameters.   That is up to the user.   From my experience and study, most ham stations have questionable lightning mitigation conditions.   In fact, nearby strikes are typically more detrimental to equipment than power line surges or operator errors.  Even if you disconnect antennas and ground them.  The issue is the station ground being at a difference potential than the AC Mains ground.  The path of least resistance is from the radio to the computer and the USB card in in that path.

Ya see....I built my first transmitter from parts salvaged from 3 or 4 old TV chassis.  And my S-38C receiver was purchased used.  I later built from scratch a Q Multiplier from a Heath schematic. That was fun to integrate into the AC-DC S-38 receiver.   At the time I was a sophomore in high school.   I've climbed the ropes. I learned to repair many different radios including those made today with surface mount parts and lots of data paths.

I don't expect every ham to understand the depth of circuits and electronics in today's ham radios.  I do expect one to understand their limits and the complexity of today's radios and be able to either find the problem, find the parts required and do the repair themselves.   OR.....expect a company to support it as long as profitable to them.  New models and technology comes along daily. It is a challenge to keep up with current trends and technology. Keeping support for a 10 year old product is a loosing proposition.   Due to the nature of the general customer, there is very little profit in ham radio products today.

As one other stated, much of today's electronics is use and throw away items.   I've suggested to more than one ham, that 10 to 20 year old radio is best used under the back wheel of the truck to keep the truck from rolling out of the driveway.   I know that hurts but please don't complain about manufactures support for something like that.

I know folks may not agree with what I've written.  I've spent 20+ years performing repair and support for ham radios. This includes the major 3 brands and a few lesser brands.   We have to face the music today, sorry to say, the lyrics aren't too appealing.

Bob, K4TAX

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

This isn't Germany.  These aren't cars.  Digikey carries every part in the radio with few exceptions.   

-Bob N3XKB

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 6:25 PM <gt0hof@...> wrote:

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

Dave Sharred

So in Automotive, when a model goes end of life, you have to make an All Time Buy, to fulfill a period afterwards. You would base this on how many units you sold, and factor in field replacement parts too. After the parts are exhausted, you will  be stuck with aftermarket parts, that are either like for like (not always possible) or refurbished units. Refurbish can mean scavenging rare parts from one unit to repair another.

For electronic components for either radios or cars,  simple devices are mainly available; industry standard parts. However,  the biggest issue may be custom chips(ASICs), or microprocessors, especially if they are single sourced, not generic parts. This even happens during the main production run, due to many differing unforseen circumstances.

The problem for radios is not just an Elecraft problem, you will struggle to get some parts even for your 10 year old YaesWoodCom from Japan. 

I am sure that the volumes of radios sold is much less than a mass produced car.

Sorry Ken

73 Dave G3NKC 

Sent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------
Date: 07/11/2020 15:04 (GMT+00:00)

This isn't Germany.  These aren't cars.  Digikey carries every part in the radio with few exceptions.   

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

Dan Abell

All,
First I think it would help if Elecraft and the rest would adopt an open source approach to both hardware and software.   One option is to do this when they cease production of a particular model.  

Now I anticipate the older folks will respond about intellectual property or using an older phrase “proprietary information” as a reason not to embrace the open licensing approach.   The reality is that typically all stakeholders realize increased value with this approach.

The world has changed, manufactures such as Elecraft deliver far more value per dollar than those of the past.  Technology continues to advance at a rapid rate, no one should expect an
 extended sparing policy.   Your premium price does bring with it a superior product and support, especially support that other manufacturers do not.

So you can be rightly disappointed with Elecraft’s decision, even the language some use reflecting their frustration, but Elecraft is a small domestic company that I would like to see continue to thrive and they have to be smart about how they run their company.  It economics stupid!

Dan w3dka 

On Nov 7, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Dave Sharred via groups.io <g3nkc@...> wrote:

So in Automotive, when a model goes end of life, you have to make an All Time Buy, to fulfill a period afterwards. You would base this on how many units you sold, and factor in field replacement parts too. After the parts are exhausted, you will  be stuck with aftermarket parts, that are either like for like (not always possible) or refurbished units. Refurbish can mean scavenging rare parts from one unit to repair another.

For electronic components for either radios or cars,  simple devices are mainly available; industry standard parts. However,  the biggest issue may be custom chips(ASICs), or microprocessors, especially if they are single sourced, not generic parts. This even happens during the main production run, due to many differing unforseen circumstances.

The problem for radios is not just an Elecraft problem, you will struggle to get some parts even for your 10 year old YaesWoodCom from Japan. 

I am sure that the volumes of radios sold is much less than a mass produced car.

Sorry Ken

73 Dave G3NKC 

Sent from my Galaxy

Date: 07/11/2020 15:04 (GMT+00:00)

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

ke9uw

FYI, BMW Motorrad carries parts for motorcycles that were manufactured in the 60s

Dave Sharred

Accepted, but look at the technology of the parts you are talking about - low electronic technology.  

I think any car or motorcycle from 1980s onwards could be a big problem - anything that's got data parameters, calibrations etc would be difficult to replicate, if you can't get the IC 's... I suspect many a radio would be difficult to fix, without someone back engineering a solution. 

As I said before,  not just an Elecraft problem

73 Dave G3NKC 

Sent from my Galaxy

Date: 07/11/2020 22:53 (GMT+00:00)

FYI, BMW Motorrad carries parts for motorcycles that were manufactured in the 60s

Karl Grunewald

One alternative, for the truly devoted to any one radio, is to purchase a second radio of the same model. This becomes increasing reasonable as the generations of newer radios appear. Initially it can be a fully functioning radio, allowing a swap-out and more leasurely repair of the first radio. Later, one of the radios can become a "parts" radio. I have done this successfully with Omni6+'s for many years. I am slowly transitioning to K3's at this point and looking forward to more K3's becoming available.

Karl
N8NA
Delaware

Pete Block <pete_block@...>

I worked for a Danish electronics firm (Bang & Olufsen). We ,too, maintained a parts back up for at least 10 years. If a serious problem arose we’d try very hard to get necessary parts from other sources and in some cases have them made.

Pete

W2MGE

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of redarlington
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 11:04 AM

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

gt0hof@...

Bob, you have missed the point! Some of us hams are disabled and can’t repair electronic at the component level. I suffer with severe arthritis  and have trouble seeing SMD’s let a lone repair a board. The Elecraft K3 & K3s are plug & play which is great, but as soon as boards go wrong, then us disabled hams are stuffed.

No this is not Germany, but it doesn’t matter where in the world or what the product is, we need to know our purchases will last and get spares, otherwise this will be the first and last time I buy an Elecraft. Pete has just said he works for a Danish Electronics company, which holds spares for 10 years or more. So your argument is doesn’t hold water.

Ken B G0HOF

Sent: 09 November 2020 01:15

I worked for a Danish electronics firm (Bang & Olufsen). We ,too, maintained a parts back up for at least 10 years. If a serious problem arose we’d try very hard to get necessary parts from other sources and in some cases have them made.

Pete

W2MGE

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

I stand by my statement.  Also, elecraft continues to do in house repairs.

-Bob

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020, 12:57 AM <gt0hof@...> wrote:

Bob, you have missed the point! Some of us hams are disabled and can’t repair electronic at the component level. I suffer with severe arthritis  and have trouble seeing SMD’s let a lone repair a board. The Elecraft K3 & K3s are plug & play which is great, but as soon as boards go wrong, then us disabled hams are stuffed.

No this is not Germany, but it doesn’t matter where in the world or what the product is, we need to know our purchases will last and get spares, otherwise this will be the first and last time I buy an Elecraft. Pete has just said he works for a Danish Electronics company, which holds spares for 10 years or more. So your argument is doesn’t hold water.

Ken B G0HOF

Pete

W2MGE

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

Peter Howson

Ken,

Waters & Stanton are the UK agents, although I have never used them as my K2 & K3 were bought direct before they became agents, and they are signed up with Elecraft to carry out repairs etc no matter where the rig was sourced.

It would be good for UK Elecraft users for Waters & Stanton to comment.

Peter

GM8GAX

Sent: 10 November 2020 14:31

I stand by my statement.  Also, elecraft continues to do in house repairs.

-Bob

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020, 12:57 AM <gt0hof@...> wrote:

Ken B G0HOF

Pete

W2MGE

-Bob N3XKB

Ken B G0HOF

Bob G4DBW

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

You guys are dreaming.  

No ham manufacturer carries board assembly level spares and accessories for 5 years after production, much less 20.  Elecraft still repairs the radios, thus, they are supported.  Nothing requires that you throw them away.  Nothing is a brick.  Elecraft never made any promise beyond what they are doing.  You can buy all the components level parts and fix it yourself, or you can send it in.

Please name another manufacturer that does any better.  Certainly not Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, TenTec.  Not Alpha.  Not SIgnal/One.  Not Flex.  Anything Chinese?  Hardly.  Nor Drake, Heath, Hallicrafters, Hammerlund, National, Globe, Eldico, Eico.  Even Collins had limits.  Who are you going to buy from?  

Sure, I would like them to carry every part, forever, but it is an unreasonable expectation. Elecraft is a bit better than most, they gave a last buy warming and a sign up sheet.  Tell me who else even did that?

I'm not a fanboy.  My K3 is not even my favorite transceiver,, merely a pretty good one.  But the attacks here are unfair to a company trying to do its best, while making a profit.  A profit, by the way, is requred to stay in business.  Do all of you work for free?

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

And Drew's excellent post should be the end of this thread.

For years Ten-Tec said they would repair any product back to the very first one, but the fine print said as long as parts were available.

Il Finis.

Kent  K9ZTV

On 11/10/2020 9:32 AM, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA wrote:
You guys are dreaming.  

No ham manufacturer carries board assembly level spares and accessories for 5 years after production, much less 20.  Elecraft still repairs the radios, thus, they are supported.  Nothing requires that you throw them away.  Nothing is a brick.  Elecraft never made any promise beyond what they are doing.  You can buy all the components level parts and fix it yourself, or you can send it in.

Please name another manufacturer that does any better.  Certainly not Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, TenTec.  Not Alpha.  Not SIgnal/One.  Not Flex.  Anything Chinese?  Hardly.  Nor Drake, Heath, Hallicrafters, Hammerlund, National, Globe, Eldico, Eico.  Even Collins had limits.  Who are you going to buy from?  

Sure, I would like them to carry every part, forever, but it is an unreasonable expectation. Elecraft is a bit better than most, they gave a last buy warming and a sign up sheet.  Tell me who else even did that?

I'm not a fanboy.  My K3 is not even my favorite transceiver,, merely a pretty good one.  But the attacks here are unfair to a company trying to do its best, while making a profit.  A profit, by the way, is requred to stay in business.  Do all of you work for free?

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Patrick Novak

On 11/11/2020 02:32, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA wrote:
You guys are dreaming.  

SGS 126

Agree