K3 K3S Parts

Bob DeHaney

Elecraft has on-line form to fill out if you want to buy various spares.  They then will be manufactured according to demand.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

Bob Hammond G4DBW

Another thought on this one .... once the K4 starts rolling off the production line in significant numbers, I would predict we will see more K3 and K3S appear on the second hand market. Will owners separate out the extras from the basic K3 K3S and sell thiese as stand alone boards/ filters ?

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

73

Bob G4DBW

Gerard <scanneg@...>

Bob, that has nothing to do with customer support.  A K3 and K3S should have full support for 10-20yrs.   They are not disposable radios. I'm if I had a Maserati, Ferrari I'd expect the best parts and service Is Elecraft a street company or top range. 😁

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 15:47 Bob Hammond G4DBW via groups.io, <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Another thought on this one .... once the K4 starts rolling off the production line in significant numbers, I would predict we will see more K3 and K3S appear on the second hand market. Will owners separate out the extras from the basic K3 K3S and sell thiese as stand alone boards/ filters ?

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

73

Bob G4DBW

gt0hof@...

Elecraft should supply spare part for the K3/K3s for at least 10 years after production ends. If these transceivers were cars they WILL have spares for 10 years after the model has gone out of production. In Germany it is law to have spare for 10 years for cars. Are Elecraft just in it for the money? I hope not. As Bob has said these are NOT throw away items. I spent over £5000 4 years ago and if I can’t get spares to repair my K3s I’ll be pissed off to say the least. I would love to have a K4, but I’m retired and have limited funds now I’m not working and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Ken B G0HOF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bob, that has nothing to do with customer support.  A K3 and K3S should have full support for 10-20yrs.   They are not disposable radios. I'm if I had a Maserati, Ferrari I'd expect the best parts and service Is Elecraft a street company or top range. 😁

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 15:47 Bob Hammond G4DBW via groups.io, <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Another thought on this one .... once the K4 starts rolling off the production line in significant numbers, I would predict we will see more K3 and K3S appear on the second hand market. Will owners separate out the extras from the basic K3 K3S and sell thiese as stand alone boards/ filters ?

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

73

Bob G4DBW

Richard Smith

Can’t wait for K5 to come out.  Get me a nice K4.  :)  RAS

On Nov 6, 2020, at 7:24 PM, gt0hof@... wrote:

[...]

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

73

Bob G4DBW

Dan Abell

All,
First I think it would help if Elecraft and the rest would adopt an open source approach to both hardware and software.   One option is to do this when they cease production of a particular model.

Now I anticipate the older folks will respond about intellectual property or using an older phrase “proprietary information” as a reason not to embrace the open licensing approach.   The reality is that typically all stakeholders realize increased value with this approach.

The world has changed, manufactures such as Elecraft deliver far more value per dollar than those of the past.  Technology continues to advance at a rapid rate, no one should expect an
 extended sparing policy.   Your premium price does bring with it a superior product and support, especially support that other manufacturers do not.

So you can be rightly disappointed with Elecraft’s decision, even the language some use reflecting their frustration, but Elecraft is a small domestic company that I would like to see continue to thrive and they have to be smart about how they run their company.  It economics stupid!

Dan w3dka

On Nov 7, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Dave Sharred via groups.io <g3nkc@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I see on ebay there is more money to be made selling these used boards/ filters as separates, which do not necessarlily add the same value to a complete radio.

73

Bob G4DBW

ke9uw

FYI, BMW Motorrad carries parts for motorcycles that were manufactured in the 60s

Dave Sharred

Accepted, but look at the technology of the parts you are talking about - low electronic technology.

I think any car or motorcycle from 1980s onwards could be a big problem - anything that's got data parameters, calibrations etc would be difficult to replicate, if you can't get the IC 's... I suspect many a radio would be difficult to fix, without someone back engineering a solution.

As I said before,  not just an Elecraft problem

73 Dave G3NKC

Sent from my Galaxy