Best way to remote a K3 or K3S

Mark Morin

I agree with Art that RemoteRig is the best solution for remote K3 operation with a K3/0 mini. It works extremely well and seamlessly over hundreds of miles to a remote and isolated radio site. How do I turn on the K3 remotely? Just tap the power but on the K3/0 and RR takes care of it. Every front panel control does exactly what it would do locally. I operate remotely 80% of the time and no one can tell unless I say so. SSB, CW, data, no matter. I can use dual receivers in stereo mode no problem.

I too tried VNC Remote Desktop control of a radio site PC at first but it was slow, unreliable and used far too much expensive data for my limited internet plan. RemoteRig is far far more data efficient.

In my case, the initial set up was complicated because my remote internet connection is vvia wireless cellular modem and the service provider uses private IP addresses that do not access incoming connection requests. Almost everyone told me about that RemoteRig could not work in this situation but I found a way using a VPN. It’s been rock-solid for many years.

No regrets on RemoteRig from me.

Mark VA2MM

Art - VE3UTT / W1AJT

Colin,

I couldn't disagree more with Bob.  I have been using Remote Rig since 2014 for many contests including MSHP.  There is a good publication on the Elecraft website devoted to just exactly what you need.  I have found that the Remote Rig forum on their website is great for getting additional answers.  If you want to have the added point of failure with a PC at the remote site, you have options.  However, if you want things to work without a PC then RR is the best show in town.  All you have to do is follow the Elecraft manual "ELECRAFT K3-Remote INCLUDING THE K3/0-MINI AND K3/0 CONTROL HEADS OWNER’S MANUAL".

I use my RR weekly for CWOps and in major contests when I am in my US residence.  My remote is 900 miles away in Canada and my Internet speed there is 10 MBPS DSL.  In the US, I have had only 8 MBPS DSL for 4 of the 6 years with no problem.  It takes me less than 5 minutes to change from local to remote.  The only problems I have had are the same whether you have a PC at the remote or not.  I have asked many well-known contesters if they can tell when I am remote - they never can.

Just my experience.  Good luck with whatever solution you implement.

Art - VE3UTT / W1AJT

KE8G

Hi Andy,
Yes, it does.

I started out using Skype, but when MS bought it, they screwed it up, so I went to Teamviewer.  Teamviewer worked well, but I had seen some problems with their policy changes and felt that in the future, amateur radio might be considered a "business" to them; thereby forcing me to purchase it.  So, I changed to Chrome Remote Desktop and it works perfectly, both the audio and the video; allowing me complete control of all my equipment while being remotely operated.

73 de Jim - KE8G

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 9:44 AM Andy Bonnot K5QR <k5qr@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 07:53 PM, KE8G wrote:
X-WR-1R12-1i5-i
Hi Jim,

Does Chrome Remote Desktop pass the audio to/from the radio?

I've been using TeamViewer to control the remote computer and radio.  I've been using RemAud for the audio path.  It has a server and client version that talk to each other and the resulting audio channel is 'OK' (better than Skype).  I'm wondering if Chrome Remote Desktop might be a better solution if it includes the audio channel?

73,
Andy - K5QR

Andy Bonnot K5QR

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 07:53 PM, KE8G wrote:
X-WR-1R12-1i5-i
Hi Jim,

Does Chrome Remote Desktop pass the audio to/from the radio?

I've been using TeamViewer to control the remote computer and radio.  I've been using RemAud for the audio path.  It has a server and client version that talk to each other and the resulting audio channel is 'OK' (better than Skype).  I'm wondering if Chrome Remote Desktop might be a better solution if it includes the audio channel?

73,
Andy - K5QR

Bob Evans

Colin,

I agree with Mark's comments but would emphasize the comment ""take some effort to set up and configure".  I would not count on RemoteRig's documentation much at all.  It does not give you any background to understand what is trying to be communicated and no troubleshooting comments. You MUST be a senior network engineer or ready to devote a year to figuring it out on your own.  Your best support resource would be people like Mark who have worked through the miriad of issues required to get a K3/0 and RemoteRig system working well and can save you months of effort with a single recommendation.  If you already have access to a static IP from your ISP, that is a very good start.

Even though it takes lots of effort, this system is still a million times better than a Remote Desktop/Software rig control solution that involves a remote PC running some flavor of local rig control software.

Good luck!

Bob K5WA

Colin Smithers

Hi Jim,

That’s super, thanks. Busy weekend ahead…

73, Colin G4CWH, M3E