Topics

Elecraft K3S - DVR problems

OZ0J Joe

Hi

I have an Elecraft K3S with the KVDR3 installed. I used it a lot during the SAC SSB Contest this weekend.

When running the DVR in repeat the DVR decided to send empty CQ (TX on but no sound) from time to time or from one CQ to the next in repeat function decide not to work at all.

I turned off the K3S and turned it on again more than once during the weekend to get the DVR working.

Has anyone a clue how to fix the DVR?

73 Joe, OZ0J

https://english.oz0j.dk

Colin Smithers

I once had the same problem. UK support suggested checking proper seating of all Inter-board connectors. Until my next serious contest with it I’m not sure if it is fixed yet. Keep you posted.

73, Colin G4CWH

On 12 Oct 2020, at 04:22, OZ0J Joe via groups.io <contest@...> wrote:

Hi

I have an Elecraft K3S with the KVDR3 installed. I used it a lot during the SAC SSB Contest this weekend.

When running the DVR in repeat the DVR decided to send empty CQ (TX on but no sound) from time to time or from one CQ to the next in repeat function decide not to work at all.

I turned off the K3S and turned it on again more than once during the weekend to get the DVR working.

Has anyone a clue how to fix the DVR?

73 Joe, OZ0J

Keith_WE6R

Hi Joe, what DVR Firmware do you have? Turn on radio, config menu "FW REVS", rotate VFO A all the way clockwise.
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3 Tech

OZ0J Joe

Hi Keith

V 05.67. It seems to be the latest according to your homepage.

Joe, OZ0J

Fra: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> På vegne af Keith_WE6R
Sendt: 12. oktober 2020 15:36
Til: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Emne: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Elecraft K3S - DVR problems

Hi Joe, what DVR Firmware do you have? Turn on radio, config menu "FW REVS", rotate VFO A all the way clockwise.

Bill Mader

How did you use it and how frequently did it fail Joe?

Did you have a logger running on a PC and use it to activate the DVK using the appropriate macro commands?  If this is true, I would test repeatedly with no or low RF output into a dummy load.

Or, did you use the K3 M1 button?  If this is true, I would remove and re-seat the DVK board.

I have never had my DVK fail on either K3 regardless of the method I use to start it.  I use it almost daily.

73, Bill, K8TE

OZ0J Joe

Bob and others

I only used the buttons on the front panel of my K3S. recording to M1 and hold M1 to start the peat function. As fa as I remember it was on 20 and 40 meters (same antenna and same amplifier). I was not much on 80 meters (other antenna and other amplifier) and I cannot remember whatever I had the problem on 80 meters.

I will try to remove and re-seat the DVK board if anyone do no have some other suggestions.

Joe, OZ0J

Fra: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> På vegne af Bill Mader
Sendt: 12. oktober 2020 22:22

Did you have a logger running on a PC and use it to activate the DVK using the appropriate macro commands?  If this is true, I would test repeatedly with no or low RF output into a dummy load.

Or, did you use the K3 M1 button?  If this is true, I would remove and re-seat the DVK board.

I have never had my DVK fail on either K3 regardless of the method I use to start it.  I use it almost daily.

73, Bill, K8TE

rich

There was an issue with the DVRs in the K3s.  I had to return mine to have internal firmware updated.  The required firmware cannot be installed by the end user.   In the config menu check the firmware version of the "dr" mine is 2.05 after the repair.

Also check the version number several times.  Prior to the repair, I would see 0.05 and then 1.0 then 2.0.  There was no consistancy to the firmware no. in Config Menu

I believe you can send the DVR back by itself.  I did not as I had another issue that also needed repair.

Rich

On 10/12/2020 23:29 PM, OZ0J Joe wrote:

Bob and others

I only used the buttons on the front panel of my K3S. recording to M1 and hold M1 to start the peat function. As fa as I remember it was on 20 and 40 meters (same antenna and same amplifier). I was not much on 80 meters (other antenna and other amplifier) and I cannot remember whatever I had the problem on 80 meters.

I will try to remove and re-seat the DVK board if anyone do no have some other suggestions.

Joe, OZ0J

Fra: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> På vegne af Bill Mader
Sendt: 12. oktober 2020 22:22

73, Bill, K8TE

Keith_WE6R

The DVR FW gets programmed at Elecraft, not remotely.
Turn on radio, config menu "FW REVS", you will see the MCU 5.67, but then rotate VFO A all the way clockwise,  what is the "dr xx.xx" number?
Keith

OZ0J Joe

Keith

Sorry for the late reply. Here are all information form “FW REWS”:

uC 05.67

d1 02.88

d2 02.88

FL 01.26

dr 06.40

Please let me know if you need further information.

73 Joe, OZ0J

Sendt: 13. oktober 2020 07:45

The DVR FW gets programmed at Elecraft, not remotely.
Turn on radio, config menu "FW REVS", you will see the MCU 5.67, but then rotate VFO A all the way clockwise,  what is the "dr xx.xx" number?
Keith

Keith_WE6R

Hi Joe, we need to program new FW into that DVR. Any FW rev of 2.xx should be upgraded to the current 2.05!
The 06.04 reading is not valid and a glitch. 
(1.04 or older are a different rev of board and are OK).
You will have to take it out and send in,,,  (just the DVR board).
Keith WE6R Elecraft Tech

Colin Smithers

Hi Keith,

Can UK support do the FW upgrade or must I mail mine to the US. It’s on 2.00.

73, Colin G4CWH

On 18 Oct 2020, at 20:05, Keith_WE6R via groups.io <keithtrinity@...> wrote:

Hi Joe, we need to program new FW into that DVR. Any FW rev of 2.xx should be upgraded to the current 2.05!
Keith WE6R Elecraft Tech

Keith_WE6R

Hi Colin, I am checking but I am fairly sure it will have to come to Watsonville CA to get 2.05.
(and just to clarify, older rev boards with 1.04 or older FW do NOT need to be upgraded and in fact the board was changed enough that the FW is NOT interchangeable).
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3 Tech.

Colin Smithers

Thanks Keith,

I have already been contacted by others regarding my question to you. I think there may be a bunch of those over here. I’m sure Elecraft records must show how many are in the field?

Please let me know once you know so I can arrange to mail it.

Kind regards

73, Colin G4CWH

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith_WE6R via groups.io
Sent: 19 October 2020 19:52
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Elecraft K3S - DVR problems

Hi Colin, I am checking but I am fairly sure it will have to come to Watsonville CA to get 2.05.
(and just to clarify, older rev boards with 1.04 or older FW do NOT need to be upgraded and in fact the board was changed enough that the FW is NOT interchangeable).
Keith WE6R Elecraft K3 Tech.

OZ0J Joe

Hi Keith

My K3S was delivered as brand new from Elecraft in winder 2018/2019. Have you forgotten to upgrade the DVK inside before shipping?

I know that there are some K3 and K3S in Denmark and in use. Can I collect the DVKs for an update and ship them in one package? And what is the price beside the freight costs?

73 Joe, OZ0J

Sendt: 18. oktober 2020 21:05

Keith WE6R Elecraft Tech

Keith_WE6R

Hi Joe;
KDVR3 FW 2.05 was released in Aug 2019 (your rig was prior). It is current as of today, Oct 2020 (for new type boards only. 1.04 or earlier is good for earlier boards).
Please coordinate with Support to send them in. I assume a bunch together would be fine (easier for the programming person for sure).

**Earlier boards with FW 1.04 and earlier should NOT be sent in,,,, they are OK.

**TO CLARIFY; Only send in the newer revision of the board with 2.00 thru 2.04 firmware, OR glitchy Firmware reporting like 00.10 etc that changes with each power cycle or query to read FW.

To check;
At turn-on of the K3, long press Menu and you will see the current MCU FW of the radio... Rotate VFO A fully clock-wise and read the "dr  02.xx" number to see the DVR Firmware.

*OR* look at the board; With the top cover off you can look down in and see;
Old DVR has the big electrolytic capacitor near the mounting standoff, don't send this in.
New DVR has the big capacitor near the connector, Send these in.

You are responsible for shipping both ways, programming is Warranty.