Question about shipping.

NS2N_PTA@outlook.com

Mine popped the pills because the board that provides the protection failed, according to Elecraft repair. There were no adverse operating conditions: turned it on, first dit, kapow. Drive was something like 18w. Coax, switch, antenna were all ok.

Paul NS2N

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> on behalf of southdaleus via groups.io <dalej2@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 7:52:26 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Question about shipping.

Under what operating conditions would have caused the finals to fail?  
I have a early model of the KPA500, sn 804 and it's been flawless.  I have it connected with the KAT500 and my K3s.  
I wouldn't mind finding another one.  

Dale, K9VUJ

southdaleus

Under what operating conditions would have caused the finals to fail?  
I have a early model of the KPA500, sn 804 and it's been flawless.  I have it connected with the KAT500 and my K3s.  
I wouldn't mind finding another one.  

Dale, K9VUJ

Jeff Clarke KU8E

Customer support told me to remove the transformer before shipping my KPA500. If you leave the transformer in the amplifier it will cost you over $100 each way to ship it to Elecraft. Without the transformer about $50. My finals went out during the height of COVID-19 when they were shutdown. I didn't get it back for almost 3 months and in the meantime I thought it would be good to have a 2nd amplifier so I bought and Acom 1000. I have procrastinated and haven't tackled the job of putting the transformer back in the KPA500 yet. Mine is factory built. If you download the construction manual for the kit (if you built it yourself ) the instructions are pretty detailed on how to do it.

Jeff KU8E

KE1F Lou

Thanks Jerry for your advice,

I decided to go first class and ordered a shipping box ($50.00 include shipping) and put the transformer back into the unit without reconnecting it. I am willing to pay extra for the "turn key" solution. It is a real bitch to extract and insert that heavy transformer into a box (KPA500). No extra space at all..
I have a feeling that this will be a fairly expensive and frustrating project.
73, Lou KE1F

On 10/9/2020 9:41 AM, Jerry wrote:

Lou,

Check with Elecraft first and ask for a support person first before shipping the transformer. They will tell you if they need it in order to repair your unit. Most cases they do not.

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of KE1F Lou
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 20:51 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Cc: Elecraft@...; elecraft-bounces@...

I wish when I was issued a Return Authorization number, availability of shipping box information should be attached for the model in question.

Too late for me. I am going to FedExp to pack and ship the transformer and the unit as two separate shipment.

73 Lou KE1F

On 10/8/2020 8:15 PM, KE1F Lou wrote:

I offered to pay for shipping cost between Cal and Fl for the box they will use to return my repaired KPA500 amplifier. I haven't received a reply. 

COVID or the Forrest fires  may be responsible for it.

73, Lou KE1F 

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------

Date: 10/8/20 6:25 PM (GMT-05:00)

Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Question about shipping.

All,

I wonder if Elecraft would sell to its’ consumers the boxes and packaging material that would fit our radio, amps and other Elecraft products?

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

Jerry

Lou,

Check with Elecraft first and ask for a support person first before shipping the transformer. They will tell you if they need it in order to repair your unit. Most cases they do not.

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of KE1F Lou
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 20:51 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Cc: Elecraft@...; elecraft-bounces@...

I wish when I was issued a Return Authorization number, availability of shipping box information should be attached for the model in question.

Too late for me. I am going to FedExp to pack and ship the transformer and the unit as two separate shipment.

73 Lou KE1F

I offered to pay for shipping cost between Cal and Fl for the box they will use to return my repaired KPA500 amplifier. I haven't received a reply. 

73, Lou KE1F 

All,

I wonder if Elecraft would sell to its’ consumers the boxes and packaging material that would fit our radio, amps and other Elecraft products?

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

KE1F Lou

73 Lou KE1F

73, Lou KE1F 

All,

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

KE1F Lou

73, Lou KE1F 

To: Elecraft@..., Elecraft-K3@groups.io, elecraft-bounces@...

All,

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

KE1F Lou

I asked customer support but never received a reply.

Lou KE1F 

Date: 10/8/20 7:08 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io, elecraft@..., elecraft-bounces@...

Yes they will.  I’ve done it a couple of times.

Ken K6MR

Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 15:25
To: elecraft@...; Elecraft-K3@groups.io; elecraft-bounces@...

All,

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

Ken K6MR

Yes they will.  I’ve done it a couple of times.

Ken K6MR

Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 15:25
To: elecraft@...; Elecraft-K3@groups.io; elecraft-bounces@...

All,

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

Jerry

All,

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE