From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> on behalf of KE1F Lou <lmecseri@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 5:07 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Shipping a KPA500 to factory.

I have to ship my KPA500 from Florida to the factory for repair.
I am sure others had to do the same.
This is a heavy piece of equipment.
I would appreciate advise from other's who done that before.
73, Lou KE1F

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

George Pappayliou

I removed the transformer as well—it’s not hard. If you have a factory built unit make sure you note the wiring connections before you unhook them (not necessary on the kit as the hookup instructions are in the manual).

Be sure to insure it. I sent mine back via the USPS and they managed to bash the corner of the box. Because it was at Elecraft getting a repair estimate (sheetmetal only) for the claim was easy and the claim process online was straightforward. They paid promptly. I have heard that UPS insurance claims can be more challenging.

Regards, George
------------------------------------
George S. Pappayliou

On Oct 7, 2020, at 5:07 PM, KE1F Lou <lmecseri@...> wrote:

I have to ship my KPA500 from Florida to the factory for repair.
I am sure others had to do the same.
This is a heavy piece of equipment.
I would appreciate advise from other's who done that before.
73, Lou KE1F

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

Jerry

George,

If you are able, remove the transformer using the reverse instructions for installing the transformer. The KPA500 manual is on the Elecraft web site. A helpful thing is to make a crude drawing of where all the wires associated with the removal of the transformer will be when you get the amp back from the mothership.  Elecraft will use their own transformer to make you amp right again.

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE

[...]

redarlington <rdarlington@...>

Get a professional to pack it.  I had somebody recently send me something that was packed terribly.  Really piss poor.  And it was damaged.  Couldn't understand how it broke with that one tiny layer of bubble wrap on the front panel when packed into a box just exactly the same size as the item.  It was a Dentron tuner that weighed nearly 20 pounds.  Insides were smashed, knobs broken off.

If you're asking, do yourself a favor and pay a professional.  There is no way the shipping company would have paid out a claim on this thing.

-Bob

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 3:10 PM KE1F Lou <lmecseri@...> wrote:

I have to ship my KPA500 from Florida to the factory for repair.
I am sure others had to do the same.
This is a heavy piece of equipment.
I would appreciate advise from other's who done that before.
73, Lou KE1F

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

SGS 126

I would have Fedex foam pack it, it’s not as expensive as you might think

Barry Baines

On Oct 7, 2020, at 6:33 PM, Jerry <W1ie@...> wrote:

George,

If you are able, remove the transformer using the reverse instructions for installing the transformer. The KPA500 manual is on the Elecraft web site. A helpful thing is to make a crude drawing of where all the wires associated with the removal of the transformer will be when you get the amp back from the mothership.

Or, use your smartphone to take photos of the connection points.  This obviates the potential for having the wrong orientation when the amp is returned and you’re trying to figure out which connection point is what.

73,

Barry, WD4ASW1

Elecraft will use their own transformer to make you amp right again.

Best regards,

Jerry, W1IE
nuvFig*jucqy0

Richard Williams

I agree; for a high value item that is heavy, I use the UPS store or FedEx.  I think when you use one of these, any damage claims are honored.

Had a couple issues with my KPA1500 way back, and found it more economical to tear out the board in need of repair and send it back; rather than send back the whole amp and insure the shipping.  Since the board probably weighed less than a pound, I packed it myself; but I would not do that if I had to send back the amp.

If Elecraft doesn't need the whole amp to fix your problem, you might remove the board that is the problem, and send that back.  It will save you a buck or two.

Dick, K8ZTT

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.
What is first, you ask? Landing, of course.
"A good aviator will always have his take-offs plus landings divisible by 2!"

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 04:43:34 PM MDT, redarlington <rdarlington@...> wrote:

[...]

KE1F Lou

Thank you for your advice,  I will do it.

73, Lou KE1F

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

On Oct 7, 2020, at 8:33 PM, Richard Williams via groups.io <k8ztt@...> wrote:

I agree; for a high value item that is heavy, I use the UPS store or FedEx.  I think when you use one of these, any damage claims are honored.

Not to pick on Lou,  Richard or anyone else, but didn’t anyone save the boxes/packing material that the KPA1500 and other high value gear was shipped?  As a rule, I keep the boxes/packing materials that my high value equipment was shipped to me so that I would have the proper materials to return the item for repair, or ship the new owner if I was selling.  I don’t have a KPA-1500, but I do have all of the boxes for my K3-P3-KPA-500 and KAT-500 as well as my Flex gear (5000, 6700, PGXL).  I have in fact sent the K3 to Elecraft for upgrades, the 6700 to Flex for warranty work, the PGXL to Flex for warranty work, and when I had a Alpha 9500 it was shipped to RF Concepts for repair (lightning damage).

No need to have ‘professional packing’ when you had ‘right packing material’ shipped to you in the first place and you’ve already paid for it {e.g. "The packing material for the KPA1500 cost $5,995.00 and they threw in the amplifier for free"….  ;-)   }

FWIW,

Barry, WD4ASW/1

Had a couple issues with my KPA1500 way back, and found it more economical to tear out the board in need of repair and send it back; rather than send back the whole amp and insure the shipping.  Since the board probably weighed less than a pound, I packed it myself; but I would not do that if I had to send back the amp.

If Elecraft doesn't need the whole amp to fix your problem, you might remove the board that is the problem, and send that back.  It will save you a buck or two.

Dick, K8ZTT

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.
What is first, you ask? Landing, of course.
"A good aviator will always have his take-offs plus landings divisible by 2!"

Dan Abell

FedEx “foam packs”?  Not sure than anyone uses that method anymore.   Regardless having FedEx pack the amp is good insurance if FedEx will assume all liability.   For those that have suggesting using the original packing materials read the following from FedEx on reusing these materials https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/Computer_fxcom.pdf
Dan w3dka